Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g3k

Tacki Mac / Buttendz / Lizard Skin grip knob only question

I was wondering if I were to buy one of the grips listed in the title just to cut the knob portion off and only use that if it would stay on and stick well?

I've never used them and don't see a point in using a full grip since the grip on sticks holds so well and I like to get as good of a grip around the stick as I can. But hockey tape is bad for glove palms, so I wanted to know if I could switch to a rubber only knob.

Picture below is how I want it to be with the rubber instead of tape like I'm currently using.

stik-mini-knob-compressor.jpg

Yes. I've done it in the past. 

I do the same knob as you. I just cut a little bit of the bottom of the Tacki Mac off, and do one or 2 less layers of regular tape (so its the right thickness when the grip is on. )

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

It definitely didn't work when I tried it, but maybe if I'd used glue like Buzz said it may have. I have no idea what @OzziesDad is talking about though. 

My bad. I misunderstood OP. 

What I do is buy a Tacki Mac, cut the knob off and discard. Then cut the grip into 5-6 equal lengths, and take one and slip it over the taped knob of the stick.(Hence why I do one or two less wraps of real tape with this method). 

Basically works the same as grip tape, but lasts way longer. Keeps palms nice and provides some grip. 

I do a minimal tape job at the top like OP's pic. So for some reason i assumed he was looking to do the same thing. 

That is what I'm looking to do; replicate the knob I have with tape to just be a portion of a cut off piece of the tacki mac.

I'm not sure if I'll need to have the tape underneath since it doesn't need to be big around. My only concern with using super glue in addition is that it'll rub off on my palms. But I'll try it and report back once I've done it.

38 minutes ago, OzziesDad said:

My bad. I misunderstood OP. 

What I do is buy a Tacki Mac, cut the knob off and discard. Then cut the grip into 5-6 equal lengths, and take one and slip it over the taped knob of the stick.(Hence why I do one or two less wraps of real tape with this method). 

Basically works the same as grip tape, but lasts way longer. Keeps palms nice and provides some grip. 

I do a minimal tape job at the top like OP's pic. So for some reason i assumed he was looking to do the same thing. 

I think what OP is saying is to cut the knob off and use ONLY the knob. 

It worked, put a sand grip on (over the cloth) and then used a razor blade, then put some super glue in between the sides.

tacki-mac-knob-only.jpg

A single layer of grip tape would probably do the trick, without having to worry about cutting and gluing anything.  It's not abrasive on glove palms either.

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

A single layer of grip tape would probably do the trick, without having to worry about cutting and gluing anything.  It's not abrasive on glove palms either.

I switched to tackimac just because it was less abrasive in my palms than grip tape. 

2 minutes ago, yrhmblnr8r said:

I switched to tackimac just because it was less abrasive in my palms than grip tape. 

It is?  The grip tape is a rubber just like the tackimac.  I don't see any wear on my palms from it or any difference than a tackimac.

I think I confused terms  Is this what you’re referring to as grip tape?  https://howieshockeytape.com/products/white-stretchy-hockey-grip-tape

I always referred to it as stretch tape. 

In my experience, tackimacs are as easy on palms as the grip/stretch tape listed above but last much longer.  Traditional hockey tape is harder on palms than either of them. 

21 minutes ago, yrhmblnr8r said:

I think I confused terms  Is this what you’re referring to as grip tape?  https://howieshockeytape.com/products/white-stretchy-hockey-grip-tape

I always referred to it as stretch tape. 

In my experience, tackimacs are as easy on palms as the grip/stretch tape listed above but last much longer.  Traditional hockey tape is harder on palms than either of them. 

Yep, that's what I'm talking about.  Tackimacs will definitely last longer.  But they are a complete form factor and require some kind of manipulation if you want to use them differently.  Plus, I find them a little too thick.

4 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I like it a bit thicker than just once around, I like about 5 times around, theres tape adhesive around the top of it.

I meant a single layer of the grip tape over the regular cloth stick tape.  Just to give the grip and protect your gloves.  that's what I do.

Funny that this thread came up... I literally just yesterday took off all the Lizard Skin on one stick, added a slight but end with Renfrew, then put the lizard skin back on and it felt great.  Lizard Skin isn't perfect but I like how you can reapply it a couple times before the adhesive wears off.

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Just use tape and some baby powder and your gloves will be fine

That brings up the same issue as the grip/stretch tape, though. I prefer something that lasts longer than a game or two without reapplying.