Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pisani34

Nexus 1N Shins good w/ knee brace?

Just wondering if anyone has any current insight on a knee brace fitting under the 1N shins?  I've been wearing my custom knee brace for about 7 or 8 years now, it was made by the local guys here that do them for the oilers and sports teams etc.  It's full carbon and made as low profile as possible to work with hockey equipment, however i'm still looking for a shin pad that will work better.  Right now i'm in 14" mako's, and i had used them as-is before, but recently took out the liner.  The depth of course is better that way, but would prefer to use shins as is if possible.  I was thinking about trying out some 15" pads to give me some extra length coverage as i take alot of shots right off the laces and think 15's could help there, so i thought i'd use the opportunity to also find a wider pad that might be more suited with a knee brace.  are the 1N's the widest and deepest fitting pad out right now?

Personally I'd go to a store, with your brace on, and try a few on.  Before I totally tore my ACL, and had surgery to replace it, I too wore a custom carbon fiber knee brace (I think it was a DJi).  This was some 10 years ago and I'd remove the knee padding to accommodate the brace (my brace had an optional knee pad which I'd wear for mtn biking and snowboarding, I'd keep it on and it would give me that added protection from removing the existing shin guard padding).  One thing I've noticed since then, newer shin guards have much less, much thinner padding in the knee area, so you might not have any issues (gone are the days of thick donut pillow around the knee, everything is so thin now).