Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rasmus

CCM RUNNERS

Hello new friends,

I am a danish amatour hockey player, playing 2 times a week for 6 years now! I am using this forum because I want a professional answer for my question:)

I bought a pair of Ribcore 50K CCM skates two years ago. 

I have had some problems with my Holders touching the ice in tight turns and also my agility feels bad.

-Does bad agility have anything to do with too low runners? (1,3 cm) 

-What can you recommend for me? Are there taller CCM runners out there?

- What differences does it make for me?

-Rasmus Kristensen   8)

I am not as expert as others on the forum but it sounds to me like the profile on your steel is ruined due to repeated sharpening.  Yes, low runners can do what you describe.  When you got those skates they probably has a 10' or 11' stock radius.  After repeated sharpenings - especially by poor sharpeners if that is the case - more pressure is placed on the ends and the it becomes a banana.  You then have less still on the ice and less stability.  If the steel is old and low as you describe the simplest thing to do is replace it.  

When you get a bit deeper into this read the threads on profiling.  Lots of interesting stuff there on finding a profile that works best for you.

It's possible your steel is worn away if your holders are touching the ice when making sharp turns/leans.  Simplest way to fix that, if that's the case, is to put new steel in.  If you want to gain even more height, switch your steel to Step Steel, as those runners tend to be much taller than the CCM steel.

However, if you're still experiencing issues after changing your steel, then I would agree with DK.  You need to adjust your runner profile.

I'd say that after twice a week for six years that both the steel and boot are probably done on those skates. You may want to invest in a new pair of skates rather than just new steel.

59 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I'd say that after twice a week for six years that both the steel and boot are probably done on those skates. You may want to invest in a new pair of skates rather than just new steel.

OP says his skates are 2 yrs old...

If the boot is still good and not broken down too much, I suggest new runners. Step Steel would be a good choice.

Hi again;)

thanks for fast respons.

I appreciate your answers and will go for a new pair of runners next season! I might also want to try STEP runners 8^)

Are definitely going to check out the profiling threads:)

Thank you guys!

Step Steel is probably your best bet with the Speedblade +4.0 holders.  It's going to be taller than the stock CCM steel, and the only other taller steel they have is regular stainless.  Their regular stainless in fine, but the Step is higher quality which would result in longer sharpening life.