Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Circa6683

Bauer speed plates 2.0 release date?

On 6/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, Dizzyg12 said:

According to the manager in my  pure hockey store they won’t be for sale individually for at least a couple months still.  They JUST got in the S2 skates which include these and only limited sizes so probably won’t see them for a little while.  I will say they are way better just from a feel.  They only had a 9, I need a 7, or I would have thrown it in my skates to see how it feels with them in, but just from feeling them, they are flexible carbon not hard plastic.  They seem indestructable to be honest.  The ball area back to the midfoot has a slightly raised area that’s softer and should increase comfort and feel.  It’s designed to put the forefoot more towards the Top of the skate to eliminate negative space.  I doubt it will cause lace bite because of where it’s located.  It’s not going to. Raise the heel or midfoot to cause it to come up enough to hit that bend.  

I had to replace mine so I got a current set for now.  When the new ones come out I’m going to try them in my skates and if they work great but by then the current versions will be discounted more so if they don’t then I’ll stock up.  

The ones I've seen and touched have a texture that gives them a carbon fiber look but they seem like plastic to me.

11 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

That site isn't offering them for sale, just listing them on the site.  I saw on Ice Warehouse that they are in preorders for release on June 21.  Maybe Canada got them early, or that store put them out before they should have?

I didn't mean you could order them from that site. In fact I don't think they sell online. I meant that one of their stores (the store I specified and probably other Hockey Experts, Rousseau Sports, etc) have it in stock.

Edited by Larry54

Does anyone have these? How do you like them? I have a pair and I’m wondering if I should re-bake my skates. I was using the 1st version before. The 2’s seems to be a bit thicker and I’m thinking my ankle/foot is sitting higher than before. 

2 hours ago, Shogun said:

Does anyone have these? How do you like them? I have a pair and I’m wondering if I should re-bake my skates. I was using the 1st version before. The 2’s seems to be a bit thicker and I’m thinking my ankle/foot is sitting higher than before. 

I have them and love them. I have tried every other footbed on the market and this is the one one that works for me. The 2nd generations are a little bit taller so I would recommend baking your skates again. I had to because it put my ankle slightly outside of the ankle pocket. 

I’m guessing you’ve used the 1st version. How would you compare the two? I tried the 2’s today and it felt like my foot was locked in more and a bit more comfortable.

9 minutes ago, Shogun said:

I’m guessing you’ve used the 1st version. How would you compare the two? I tried the 2’s today and it felt like my foot was locked in more and a bit more comfortable.

I liked the first ones but love the second ones. The added cushion is a welcomed edition. I also feel like they made them slightly thicker too but a little more flexible in the arch area. 

My first set of old ones cracked after a year, the second after six months. The new ones are made from a more flexible plastic, and they have some padding so they feel much more comfortable. The new ones are thicker, but only by a few mm. I’m sure the new ones will last longer, and as far as I can tell they are functionally as good. Expensive for a few bits of plastic, but worth the money. I have two sets of the new ones in old and new skates. The ones in the new skates were baked and fitted, then the skates were baked and fitted with the now cold speedplates inserted. 

Found my 2.0s were more mailable than the 1.0s, so be careful how you stand as they harden. I had to spot heat a crease out when after I moulded them the first time, and now they are great. 

12 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone else prefer the original speed plates? I like how the original ones are firmer, esp in the arch area. 

Honestly, they are both about the same to me. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone else prefer the original speed plates? I like how the original ones are firmer, esp in the arch area. 

The originals ones had poor durability, so no, I prefer the new ones. And I like the padding. To be honest in Custom skates I’d rather have basic lightly padded insoles, as the skate base is moulded to your foot, but the standard insoles are too thin and the rivet heads cause discomfort/pain. 

20 hours ago, Leif said:

The originals ones had poor durability, so no, I prefer the new ones. And I like the padding. To be honest in Custom skates I’d rather have basic lightly padded insoles, as the skate base is moulded to your foot, but the standard insoles are too thin and the rivet heads cause discomfort/pain. 

Well aside from durability.

My first gen SPs are still holding up with no signs of cracks so far. I just like the rigidness of the original ones. The SP 2.0s are still very nice though and they are more comfortable. I'll see how they feel on the ice. 

I opted for the SPs for my true skates bc nothing I tried felt that great. Superfeet were ok but I guess I just prefer the more solid feeling underneath. The stock true footbeds were way too spongey and slippery feeling. SF I found also messed with the heel lock I had a bit on my right skate, but that's also bc my right skate never fit as well as my left from day one but that's another story. 

Just picked up a set of the SP 2.0s.  Initial impression is I like em.  The way they mold and initial feel is really good.  Cleans up negative space in the skate and feels like it will off just the right amount of support for me.  Standard inserts feel flat and uncomfortable and my Superfeet feel good at first, but then give me outer foot pain.  The SP feel good so far.  Should get some ice time on them this week.

The lowest my oven goes is 170*.  I preheated the empty oven to 170*, then put the SP on a tray on the lowest shelf, furthest from the heating element in the oven.  Then I cycled the oven off and on briefly on convection mode until the bars turned white.  Not sure if its "right", but it worked and nothing was damaged.

8 minutes ago, ricepow said:

The lowest my oven goes is 170*.  I preheated the empty oven to 170*, then put the SP on a tray on the lowest shelf, furthest from the heating element in the oven.  Then I cycled the oven off and on briefly on convection mode until the bars turned white.  Not sure if its "right", but it worked and nothing was damaged.

Ok nice! 

If you heated both at once, do they cool down before you have laced your skates properly? 

I did both at once.  They both still formed and feel really good now that I've had a chance to use them.  Superfeet gave me pain on the outsides of my feet and felt like my heel didn't lock as well because of the heel riser.  Very happy with my new skates and the SpeedPlates.

I am getting retail CCM as1s and will likely out in speed plates in those as well. After using the SPs, everything else doesn't feel right. 

I heated my oven to 80 Celcius. Don't use a gas oven, someone I know did, and the flame melted the tendon guards. You really need a convection oven, and some say to turn off the heat then place the items inside. I simply placed some foil on the top shelf, and placed the plates on a shelf just below, just in case there was some direct heat from above which could cause over heating. I've heated mine several times, not sure how often you can do it and if they return to the original shape when warm. They do fit me nicely now. 

1 hour ago, ricepow said:

Might be worth pointing out that the above temperature is 170 Fahrenheit. For those of use who use new money. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with using a gas oven. 

Yes, there is.

You want a convection oven as that blows hot air around.  Could you use a gas oven if you preheated it, shut it off, and put the skates in?  Yes.  But to say that there's nothing wrong with using a gas oven without providing some sort of caveat or instruction is a pretty dangerous statement.  I've seen what improper baking using gas ovens can do to skates. 

7 hours ago, ricepow said:

SP can actually be overheated a tad; it doesn't hurt them.  Once the monochromatic ink changes, you're good to go.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes, there is.

You want a convection oven as that blows hot air around.  Could you use a gas oven if you preheated it, shut it off, and put the skates in?  Yes.  But to say that there's nothing wrong with using a gas oven without providing some sort of caveat or instruction is a pretty dangerous statement.  I've seen what improper baking using gas ovens can do to skates. 

My gas oven is convection, though. 

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

My gas oven is convection, though. 

Thanks for clarifying that, because it certainly didn't read that way when you initially posted.  Conventional ovens are more common than convection ovens.

• Like 1