Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
UCMnumber8

Kovalchuk Returning to the NHL?

Per Russian Machine Never Breaks

Looks like Kovy might be headed back to the NHL with the Rangers on a 2-3 year deal worth $6 mil/year. He can't officially sign until July 1st, NHL free agency start and all that.

Probably best for the Rangers to start making moves, since they're gonna be in rebuild mode for the next few seasons, especially after canning Vigneault.

5 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

It makes sense in that a gives someone a reason to watch/go to a NYR game. Certainly won't get in the way of their rebuild. 

I wasn't aware that NYR were having attendance issues. don't they fill MSG pretty much all the time?

On 4/11/2018 at 2:26 PM, shoeshine boy said:

I wasn't aware that NYR were having attendance issues. don't they fill MSG pretty much all the time?

I don't think that they've had attendance issues but I could imagine that Rangers aren't exactly doing back flips when it comes to thinking of the organization's future. Having Kovy on your roster for the 2018-19 season would create some buzz. Does it mean anything for the long-term future? Probably not haha.

14 hours ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

To be the cancer he's proven to be; why would they want him?

A pure goal scorer for Kopi to feed the puck to? Gee, why would LA want that? I mean they have no trouble scoring right?

Kopitar would be too busy covering up for Kovalchuk's horrible defensive game to be able to do anything offensively. Dollars to donuts, he doesn't last the entire season with whatever NHL team is dumb enough to sign him.

I could see him going to a rebuild on a 1-2 year deal without a NTC/NMC. Gets butts in seats and has little risk assuming that rebuilding team has cap space, which... hopefully they do or their rebuild isn't going to go very well. Potential for getting a draft pick at the deadline if he performs. If he doesn't, they're not really out anything. 

14 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

So stand pat and let things roll? Cool. 

Meaning if a team is going into a reload/rebuild situation then there are much better options. Better to bring in a character guy/mentor than a prima donna.

He's not a guy you bring in during a rebuild or to mentor younger players. If you have a strong room with a good core group and a solid leadership he can come in and provide some secondary scoring. Give him a 2 year deal slightly above veteran max. Otherwise, thanks but no thanks.

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Meaning if a team is going into a reload/rebuild situation then there are much better options. Better to bring in a character guy/mentor than a prima donna.

I agree with that. I just look at their current roster and wonder where the goal scoring is going to come from. And with Hank on the books for another 3 seasons, I'd think they'd want to make the team somewhat competitive. 

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

He'd make sense for the Kings if its a 1 year deal to see what he has left. 

But no way he'd only take one year.