Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jpeaslee

Wrist and elbow pain

I'm about 6 months into playing ice after about a 6 or 7 year hiatus from playing a few years of inline.  I was getting some occaisional elbow pain in my left elbow (I shoot right), but that seems to have mostly worked itself out.  However I am getting some not infrequent pain in my right wrist after some games, sometimes lasting for days.  It always happens after I've been doing some shooting on the shooting pad in the driveway.  

It feels like it's right at the wrist joint and on the back side.  I've tried stretching it out both ways, and really in all directions both before and after, and it doesn't really help.  Anyone know exactly what's going on here and what I can do to prevent it?  I am a big guy with pretty pathetic strength for my size.  I know I need to do some strength training, but what can I do to address this specifically?

What chippa13 said is solid. It could be any number of things which no one should diagnose on here. But lets assume its irritation of the tendons / ligaments from pounding slap shots (impact / shock generated trauma) on the shooting pad. Rest, ice and NSAIDs until it stops hurting then start wrist strengthening / stretching exercises and then, if still no pain, slowly get back into shooting. No slap shots, just wrist and snap shots. This will reduce the impact loading on the wrist. If it holds up ok after a few weeks of this then slowly start introducing slap shots back into your practices. I've now got some arthritis in the wrist and can't pound 500 pucks in a session anymore but can happily practice wrist and snap shots without aggravating it. If it doesn't go away after you have rested it up for a few weeks then you should see a doc.

Edited by Vet88

Actually the old RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) is old and unadvised now.. unless you need immediate movement, like during a game, ice constricts blood supply slowing your body down from healing itself and causing further damage because your body isn't able to pump its own fluids into the area to heal and protect itself, which your body is pretty good itself. I'm a strong advocate for using gentle, warm heat (like heat bags) and slow regular rotational movement, hot tubs and compression in the form of support.

http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-end-of-the-ice-age/

It's like when I see people "warming up" on the ice by stretching straight away... ever tried to stretch a cold elastic band, it fractures and breaks.. just like cold tendons and ligaments.. warm up by skating hard until you feel your muscles warm.. then stretch a bit.. then skate hard again.. then stretch.

(BA in Sport & Sports Science)

Edited by RickDC

It pretty much always does it after I practice shooting at home, where I am usually doing a chunk of slapshots.  So I'm maybe hitting the ground too hard before the puck?  I'm 260 and using an 85 flex stick, though I'm most chunky then muscular, and definitely lacking in upper body strength.  

When you are shooting at home are you using the same length stick as on the ice? If you aren't doing something to keep the same effective stick length on dry-land as on the ice then that is likely your problem.