Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
60PlusWinger

Anyone here planning on getting a 2N Stick?

Anyone here still like the Nexus line enough to grab a 2N? I was indifferent about the 1000, 8000 sucked for me but the 1st gen 1N was great. I have a 2017 1N but haven’t used it, haven’t heard many good things about it either but what about the 2N? Hopefully it holds up better than the 1X Lite and 17 1S

According to HockeyWorldBlog they have the weight down to sub-400 and are using that ACL stuff in the blade. I wonder how that'll affect the feel. One of the reasons I don't like the Nexus line is that I think they should have paired the shaft with a more lively blade rather than a dampened one. If the 2N is more lively I might give it a shot.

If the blade is that advanced carbon layering crap is the blade I’ll pass. Bauer engineer I spoke to said that all that is is the removal of a layer of carbon which makes it lighter. Seems like the game is weight. 

Agree the 2015 first generation 1N is pretty slick. Still have 1 left and using it sparingly. 

I have to admit - if the 2N PRO stick is sub 400 grams I'm going to grab one - although not the only quality to consider in choosing a stick, the weight is a major factor for me anyway....

I have the 2015 1N and the 2017 1n  in the same specs  

IMO the 2015 was better and had more pop. 

The 17’ was good, just a little stiffer in the same flex. 

I am going to do my usual clearance grab on the 17 1N when the 2N pro comes out. 

The nexus line is the best stick line for me from Bauer. 

2N Pro listed at 397g on icewarehouse. Any ideas on when this will be available on my Bauer? IIRC my Bauer makes new sticks available a bit before the release date.....

"The blade boasts the biggest upgrades over the previous 1N. The 2N Pro debuts a new R-LITE Blade Core that is by far the most popular construction in the NHL today. Based off of the 1X LITE, the R-LITE option is significantly lighter and stiffer than before but the 2N Pro features a fiber reinforced dampening layer for ultimate puck control. Bauer also used ACL Technology (Advanced Carbon Layering) that reduces weight without sacrificing durability by using thinner, more strategically placed carbon layers. "

Funny, always reducing weight with no loss of durability? I think they should be trying to make the best stick possible, not the lightest. I know there's a tipping point somewhere.

I'm looking for junior sticks and I see the 2N is only $179. The junior 1N is marked down to $149 right now so that's only a $30 difference. I know they're both going to be "good" sticks so I want whichever is most durable.

51 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

I'm looking for junior sticks and I see the 2N is only $179. The junior 1N is marked down to $149 right now so that's only a $30 difference. I know they're both going to be "good" sticks so I want whichever is most durable.

Be careful, Bauer changed their naming system. The top tier stick is called the 2N Pro. The stick on the second tier is called the 2N. That may explain the price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Be careful, Bauer changed their naming system. The top tier stick is called the 2N Pro. The stick on the second tier is called the 2N. That may explain the price. 

Yep. The 2N is closer to the older N8000/N9000. Even back to being a fused 2-piece. 

• Like 1

2N Pro should feel different than the current 1N since it will have ACL like the 1X Lite along with a new blade core and resin.  As for the 1X Lite, guess I've been lucky since the durability for me has been great and is currently my favorite stick.  As for the current 1S, I didn't think it great puck feel, probably because of the addition of the renew core in the blade.  Will I get a new 2N Pro to try it out?  Not sure at this time.  Might be more interested in giving the new JetSpeed a go. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Hey thanks. I checked it out, the Junior 2N Pro is $179.99 U.S.  https://www.icewarehouse.com/Nexus_2N_Pro_Grip_Stick_Flex_40_P28_Jr_Right/descpage-2NGJ8.html

397g for an INT 2N Pro is pretty impressive. I'll have to check it out. My 3 upcoming choices: QRE, Jetspeed, 2N Pro... #Nexus1000forever

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lennyboi said:

2N Pro listed at 397g on icewarehouse. Any ideas on when this will be available on my Bauer? IIRC my Bauer makes new sticks available a bit before the release date.....

Looking at Ice Warehouse today, they have the senior 2N Pro at 425 grams. 

If this is true, this is basically the same weight as the S17 1N. 

Too many people have become fixated on weight like it’s the only thing that matters. If your game living or dying is in the hands of 25 grams... the stick doesn’t need to lose weight, your game needs get stronger.

52 minutes ago, CaptainFranchise said:

Looking at Ice Warehouse today, they have the senior 2N Pro at 425 grams. 

If this is true, this is basically the same weight as the S17 1N. 

That's the weight for the 2N.  They have the 2N Pro listed at 410 grams.

10 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Too many people have become fixated on weight like it’s the only thing that matters. If your game living or dying is in the hands of 25 grams... the stick doesn’t need to lose weight, your game needs get stronger.

Balance over weight all the time.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

That's the weight for the 2N.  They have the 2N Pro listed at 410 grams.

Balance over weight all the time.  

I agree with the balance of the stick being an important factor. However, the balance/feel of the stick only pertains to when you're holding the stick with two hands. But there are many situations that call for only your top hand holding the stick whether is a poke check or stick on puck etc. If you play in a high level, full checking youth or adult league, by the end of the game, every oz counts, even for players in tip top shape. I'd take a light, balanced stick (hopefully with my preferred blade pattern) over a heavier stick any day of the week.

Stick weight is not the only thing that matters, but it matters, a lot.

If we're just comparing top end models I think the weight makes more of a difference when it comes to skates over sticks when you look at the cumulative effect over the course of a game or practice.  I'm just saying that I'll take a 425 gram balanced stick any day over a sub 400 gram unbalanced one for the performance factor.

I agree with you that everything today is a weight game. Look at Bauer's Vapor shoulder pads for 2018.   Incredibly light yet somewhat "cheap" feeling to me. 

• Like 1

Look at all the O33/R32/RB10****/G3 sticks in use by the best players. Jamie Benn and Patrick Kane in O33, Kopitar in R32, RB Pastrnak, Matthews, G3 Stammer, Ovie, Tavares using R1 in different weave or Crosby using a brick of a Frankenstein stick. I’m sorry but this weight game isn’t ever gonna stick with me. It only matters to those who are shaving weight to entertain the mental advantage or making up for short comings in their game. It’s not the arrow it’s the Indian. 

27 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Look at all the O33/R32/RB10****/G3 sticks in use by the best players. Jamie Benn and Patrick Kane in O33, Kopitar in R32, RB Pastrnak, Matthews, G3 Stammer, Ovie, Tavares using R1 in different weave or Crosby using a brick of a Frankenstein stick. I’m sorry but this weight game isn’t ever gonna stick with me. It only matters to those who are shaving weight to entertain the mental advantage or making up for short comings in their game. It’s not the arrow it’s the Indian. 

Of course it's all mental. Same reason why all those pros don't change. Unfortunately, not everyone are those elite level pros. Sure they could change, but they won't mess with what works for them.

Same with people here, if light = better for people let them try it and maybe they eventually feel too light doesn't work and they go back. If everyone here could try everything Bauer, CCM and warrior had to offer free of charge I'm sure people would stick with what works.

I could go into my needs for when I run and it's mostly mental too.

Or they don’t change because the newer “tech” is marketing garbage that isn’t objectively better than what came out 10 years ago despite 100% price inflation. 

Edited by Cavs019

2 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

You’re kind of arguing both sides of the discussion. On the one hand you point to a bunch of pros who are using older gen sticks, insinuatating that if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for... On the other hand you say it’s the Indian not the arrow, which I largely agree with. However, if you buy it’s the Indian not the arrow then it doesn’t matter what the pros use, right...

As for the mental aspect or advantage. I wouldn’t be so quick to discount that. If you go out with the mind set that everything you use works for you, you are free to just play. You aren’t worrying about was that pass off cuz my stick ain’t right or do I need to adjust my technique to make up for a slower swing speed of a heavier stick. I’d also argue that lighter sticks can reduce the wrist fatigue and potential wrist injury. So the weight can have an affect. Now granted, I doubt 25grams is killing anyone. 

I’ve injured both wrists multiple times and suffer from bouts of carpel tunnel as well as tendinitis from time to time. I much prefer a lighter well balanced stick due to the reduced wear and tear on my wrists. 

There is some credence to your point. However, I doubt companies dump millions into R&D just to publish a lower number than brand X, not in this industry anyway.

Keep in mind that Hockey sticks are a consumable. Making them more durable isn’t really the best business model. Brand X want to sell you as many sticks as they possibly can. 

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

To a certain extent I agree. I mean if you go in thinking that stick A is going to make you twice as good and you're going to get 50 goals in 10 games, then you're barking up the wrong tree. BUT, there is a point where getting the preferred specs does help and going outside of them hinders. Too, high a flex, and you can't shoot properly. Too heavy and it's more difficult to to do certain things, specifically with one hand. ETC.

We all have our quirks. Mine's flex. If it doesn't flex to my liking then nothing else about the stick will matter. I could probably get away with using a flex that isn't to my liking or right for me--actually, I did for many years--but why should I when I have the means and the opportunity to get a stick that fits my preferences?

I mean isn't that why you're looking at the 2N, having never used your 1N 2017? It's not the arrow. It's the Indian. I agree, but you can't give someone an arrow made completely out of lead and a bow covered in thorns and expect them to preform at their best.

Manufacturers are catering to the interests of the consumers and not to the minority membership on this forum.  Consumers are constantly looking for new tech and spec because the marketing folks have done a good job of brainwashing them into thinking that new and improved will give their son or daughter a competitive edge.  

In addition kids grow up idolizing their favorite player who is playing with what looks like a 2N Pro, QR Edge, or Super Tacks AS1 even though they may be using something altogether different. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, mojo122 said:

In addition kids grow up idolizing their favorite player who is playing with what looks like a 2N Pro, QR Edge, or Super Tacks AS1 even though they may be using something altogether different. 

This is so unfortunately true with goalie as well...