Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hockeydad3

Wheels too soft?

This is my first season on inlineskates. After the end of the ouside-ice-season i was skating during the last weeks with my rollerblade fusion on 84mm 86A F1 Matter wheels on streets and public places.Today i was skating the first time with my new Graf Max 10 hockeyinlineskates on the outside ice-rink. The surface is a semi rough concrete( like sand-paper). The 80mm/78A stock wheels are feeling like they are too soft. I´m 93kg 170cm. Skill level absolute beginner. With the rollerblades i could do turns much easyer on the hockey rink and they are faster. The grafs need mor force to turn though they are more agile. On my hockeyskates i´m using a 3/4" hollow. Should I try harder wheels or do i simply have to adapt to the Graf wheels?

How does it feel like when wheels are too soft?

Thanks for your answers.

Those are pretty hard wheels, I would think they would be ok. I'm a little bigger than you and that's what I used to use outside. I think its just going to be a big transition from Rollerblade type skates to any sort of hockey style skates. They're build very differently.

That being said I've never used Graf skates or Graf wheels before. I predominately used Mission skates and some aftermarket style wheel. Another thing to consider, is the chassis on the new graf skates rockered or is it flat? I assume since you strictly said 84mm wheels that its a flat style chassis. That could be different and make it feel different for you as well.

-Chris 

49 minutes ago, CRupp13 said:

Those are pretty hard wheels, I would think they would be ok. I'm a little bigger than you and that's what I used to use outside. I think its just going to be a big transition from Rollerblade type skates to any sort of hockey style skates. They're build very differently.

That being said I've never used Graf skates or Graf wheels before. I predominately used Mission skates and some aftermarket style wheel. Another thing to consider, is the chassis on the new graf skates rockered or is it flat? I assume since you strictly said 84mm wheels that its a flat style chassis. That could be different and make it feel different for you as well.

-Chris 

The setup on the Grafs is flat, 4x 80mm/78A Graf(indoor)on a 246mm frame. The rollerblades have 4x84mm/F1(~86A) Matter Image on a 258mm frame.

Edited by hockeydad3

I'm sorry I confused the two after I read your post.

The 78a wheels outside might in fact be too soft. If you were skating on an outdoor style sport court you might be fine but on concrete they may be too soft. I'm trying to remember but I believe my indoor wheels were 76a so that's not much softer. You may want to think about trying harder wheels. If your wheels on your roller blades aren't new and are at all used you could try running those as a test, they might fit if they have been skated on for a while. 

Just an update.

Finally i went to Hyper Pro 150 83a wheels, the manufacturer- description says: for the recreational Hockey-Player for outdoor use.

They have been a noticeable ugrade to the stock 78a graf wheels. But i wasn`t satisfied with them. My Rollerblades with Matter F1 gave me a better feeling though the boots are not comparable.

I was skating about 10 times on the Hyper wheels.

Today i gave the Labeda asphalt 85a a try.

The holy shit.

What a different great feeling.

I was using them on the right boot with the same bearings as the Hyper on the left. I wanted to change the sides to eliminate a side-effect. But the difference was so big, i just wanted to have them immediately on the left skate too.

They are way more faster, agile and have a better grip. My turning radius decreased significantly and they leave definitely way more speed after a 180 degree turn.

Martin

Edited by hockeydad3
  • Like 1

So one day after my question is, what makes this strange difference between the wheels?

Is it the shape? The Hyper has a round profile vs. an elliptical profile of the Labeda.

Does the change of the durometer from 83a to 85a makes such a difference?

Is it the quality of the urethane and knowledge of the manufacturer, Hyper vs. Labeda?

Is it the price-difference? Hyper 19-24 € vs. Labeda  27-35 € for four wheels.

Or is it just try and error for every different skatingsurface and personal factors/preferences?

Could the Hypers be better than the Labedas on a smoother surface?

Am i the guy for harder wheels (95kg, 170cm, 51y and beginner)?

What can i learn for the future?

Thanks for your answers, Martin