Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Leif

Protective shorts

Recommended Posts

Last night I fell on my backside during scrimmage. Today I am off work as I was unable to walk this morning. I can now hobble, but have severe pain in my right leg, due I assume to a lower spinal injury. No doubt I will be fine after a few days. I had the same injury once when public skating with no protection. I wear the entry level Bauer Vapor pants. They are normally okay. During public skating I wear shorts with a D30 pad and they are much better, I have never had anything more than a short lived pain when falling on my rear. So, are there shorts that provide noticeably more protection than the ones I have? I could get a D30 pad to wear under my hockey shorts of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey op . That sucks.  Imo you need to aggressively ice the lower back area near l5 & s1 . This and get an x Ray of the  coxic . Ice does wonders .      Are you new to the sport relatively speaking.? I ask because of skating form is important.   The lower you can get your body  (knees bent and over your toes,ass down almost to the point you could sit no a toilet,legs shoulder width. ) in this position your mass is low . You won't fall as easy  . The bend gives you a tremendous range to make balance corrections. And if you do go down you are close to the ice.  First taking on this skating form your legs are going to feel it in the quads.  Quick lactic acid build up is going to give you  burn in the quads.        To train these muscles:  a)Roman chairs till failure    b)Then do lunge walks c)back to the Roman chair till failure.  D)chair squats till failure  e)  chair squats with a vertical leap at the end of the movement.   Till failure.  ...... f) slide board exaggerate the leg bend and position. Ware a weight vest ..       really grind it out .     Stretch before and after these drills.  Skate all you can and do this routine 3 times a week you will be amazed at your increase speed and agility and stability performance.  Work on abdominal every day.  Get all areas.   Hope this helps 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DRR said:

Why don't you just wear your D3O shorts under your vapor pants?

That is, if you will excuse the unintentional pun, my fall back plan. I might though buy a pair that are more suitable as they have to go under  compression shorts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Playmakersedge said:

Hey op . That sucks.  Imo you need to aggressively ice the lower back area near l5 & s1 . This and get an x Ray of the  coxic . Ice does wonders .      Are you new to the sport relatively speaking.? I ask because of skating form is important.   The lower you can get your body  (knees bent and over your toes,ass down almost to the point you could sit no a toilet,legs shoulder width. ) in this position your mass is low . You won't fall as easy  . The bend gives you a tremendous range to make balance corrections. And if you do go down you are close to the ice.  First taking on this skating form your legs are going to feel it in the quads.  Quick lactic acid build up is going to give you  burn in the quads.        To train these muscles:  a)Roman chairs till failure    b)Then do lunge walks c)back to the Roman chair till failure.  D)chair squats till failure  e)  chair squats with a vertical leap at the end of the movement.   Till failure.  ...... f) slide board exaggerate the leg bend and position. Ware a weight vest ..       really grind it out .     Stretch before and after these drills.  Skate all you can and do this routine 3 times a week you will be amazed at your increase speed and agility and stability performance.  Work on abdominal every day.  Get all areas.   Hope this helps 

Yes, I’m getting lower which as you say increases stability and power. People have commented that I am a lot faster and play better as a result. Normally a fall is okay, I think it was because I was going backwards to fend off a forward, reached the boards, stopped, straightened up, then fell. Tiredness probably played a role, it was 90 minutes in to a two hour session, and when tired I become less careful. I’ve been learning for one year, sometimes as much as four hours hockey a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think any pants are going to do much of anything for a spinal compression. Certainly tailbone padding is great in some pants, but there's still a shock up through your whole body if you land on your butt.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stick9 said:

Literally tons of options with varying degree of protection. Check Amazon.

The Amazon reviews are few and far between. 

 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I don't think any pants are going to do much of anything for a spinal compression. Certainly tailbone padding is great in some pants, but there's still a shock up through your whole body if you land on your butt.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

My experience is that padding can make a huge difference. A year ago I fell on my coccyx with no pads, and was unable to walk the next day. I then bought Demon shorts with a D30 pad for public skating. I’ve since fallen on my coccyx, and although there is pain, it disappears in a minute, and I carry on skating. The reason is that the pad spreads out the impact over a large area. You can see videos on YouTube showing how it protects a hand from a hammer blow. Thanks for the good wishes, I am much better this afternoon, so should be fine for the next skating session on Tuesday. 

Anyway, I popped into our ‘local’ shop, 20 miles away. I was shocked at the lack of protection in all but the Bauer Supreme S1. That was the only high end pants they had, so I’m sure other makes have good pants too. So I bought an S1, and they are sending it by post as they didn’t have my size in stock. The coccyx padding is very substantial. 

Edited by Leif
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leif said:

The Amazon reviews are few and far between. 

Gonna go out on a limb and say, not really an item people are quick to review, like jocks & cups.

My only reservation would be not knowing the thickness of the padding. I wore the padded Shock Doctor shorts for a while. They were ok though the padding was thin and there were large gaps between pads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say, not really an item people are quick to review, like jocks & cups.

My only reservation would be not knowing the thickness of the padding. I wore the padded Shock Doctor shorts for a while. They were ok though the padding was thin and there were large gaps between pads.

I think you’re right, for some reason skates are talked about, items like pants are ignored. My cheap shoulder pads are fine, my cheap pants weren’t. Paying an extra £100 ($140) to avoid injury is a no brainier. I’d spend lots on a better helmet if I thought it would make a noticeable difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have posted this a few other places, but I love crashpads. I have the 2000 series which is a mesh short with soft pads all over. I wear it over my Bauer compression shorts and I never notice it. I have to slide it up when I put my socks on the Velcro. It has a nice big triangle over the tailbone as well as well as padding that goes around the outside of your butt/ thigh that really helps with those twisting falls. It seems like all of the hockey specific pads/jocks seem to  slightly cover the tailbone (but not much) and then have pads over the sides. For me, I rarely fall flat on my side, but more often slightly rotated so that my hip/backside takes the impact. These pads have held up great. I just toss them in the wash in between games cause they get pretty ripe after a skate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other elephant in the room is the entry level Vapor pants. Going to a mid-level pant should offer substantially more protection. The entry level stuff is usually just nylon sewn over cheap foam and hard pieces of plastic. If you want any of the more technologically advanced stuff you should start at mid-level.

In my experience there's a huge jump in quality going from entry to mid level. And a much smaller jump going from mid to high level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately my local shop has a limited range, 16 models of pant but that includes youth and junior models, and most of the seniors were similar to my Bauer x700. The mid range CCM 5092 didn’t have enough padding for me, The only others were N8000 and 1S, and since money is not an issue and I am training regularly, I thought I’d go for the 1S which has excellent coccyx protection.  By all accounts it has excellent mobility and durability too. At my age I may as well spend money before I die. :biggrin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been surprised by how little padding in the tailbone area there is for even higher end stuff. I had a Bauer APX girdle from a  few years back. Nice piece of gear except the tailbone protection was very, very minimal. I checked out a bunch of other options after some painful falls and was not impressed. I switched to Easton Pro 15 pants which have some of the best padding out there and I still wear those crashpads. Falls hurt, I ain't as young as I used to be, and I don't like hobbling around the office the next day.

Good luck with the 1S. Looks like a nice setup.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×