Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
beanhead

Skate sharpener grinding wheels

I have only used pink 80 grit and 8MXRUBY grinding wheels. I can get a better finish with an 80 grit, even though it takes slightly longer to sharpen than the 8MXRUBY. I have nothing else to compare them to. Is there a reason to try other grinding wheels? Which wheel do you prefer?

Also, Blademaster describes their 80 grit pink wheel as being good for recreational figure skates and goalie skates. If it is good for those two, why would it not be good for hockey skates?

17 hours ago, beanhead said:

I have only used pink 80 grit and 8MXRUBY grinding wheels. I can get a better finish with an 80 grit, even though it takes slightly longer to sharpen than the 8MXRUBY. I have nothing else to compare them to. Is there a reason to try other grinding wheels? Which wheel do you prefer?

Also, Blademaster describes their 80 grit pink wheel as being good for recreational figure skates and goalie skates. If it is good for those two, why would it not be good for hockey skates?

The pink is more friable than the ruby wheel.  So, it is what you may describe as “softer.”  It sharpens decently, however you have to dress the wheel more often because it loses its shape faster. Ruby has additives in its composition which allows it to cut into harder steel. The drawback to that on carbon steel is that it heats the steel up faster.   

As far as pink on rec skates/goal is because both of those types of skates usually have carbon steel (non stainless) blades.). So the pink mates well. 

• Like 3