Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ExitTwoEighty

10 Year Old Goalie Equipment

Rediscovered a set of goalie equipment that was in storage from 10 years. I used them for about 10 games before moving for work.

Does goalie equipment degrade after being in storage for so long? Is it safe to use? Should I replace some of it?

Thanks

Edited by ExitTwoEighty

It’s probably fine, though I wouldn’t use 10 year old equipment just because I don’t think it would work well in the modern game. Unless you’re old school and play that style. 

If protection is your concern, you should be fine in 10 year old gear.

You'll be fine using the gear I'm still using Bauer one75 pads which were released in 2008 I believe. And you shouldn't have any issues with the style of the gear either it's the exact same as the stuff being sold today...

Howdy,

It seems like the majority of guys I play with that are pretty good are using 10+ year old stuff.  Goalies included.

Not that a couple of those good guys aren't gear whores and have new / cool stuff, but "Do I have the best gear?" doesn't seem to be any type of indicator that someone is a good hockey player.

I'd use it for sure, unless you see something that makes you want to change it up.

Mark

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well that’s not true, but that’s not the point here.

I'll agree to disagree then... i don't believe that there are any significant changes that would affect playing style

• Like 1

Any protective foam will degrade over time, even in ideal conditions. If the conditions are less than ideal (too hot, too cold, too humid, too dry etc) then they'll break down faster. Another thing to inspect closely is any adhesives used - for example, glue used to attach the foam to the inside of the mask.

If it passes visual inspection and you put it on and it feels fine, then you're probably good to go. But newer foam will perform better because it's fresher, and technology has gotten better.

• Like 1

thanks everyone for your inputs.

I played with the goalie gear and it wasn't too bad. Not sure if it was degradation or cheap equipment but I felt the pucks through the chest protector so it'll be the first thing I upgrade. I'll slowly upgrade the equipment with newer used gear when I find some money.

Cheers all.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2018 at 10:22 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Well that’s not true, but that’s not the point here.

2008 saw the release of the Reebok Premier II pads, its no different a design than my 1 year old Brians Subzero 3 pads. Hell the P2 were the first set of pads conforming to the 11" width rule, before that the P1 were 12" wide and were still a butterfly pad.

What would be most affected by age would be blocker palms and the foams in a CA since they get a lot of sweat; blockers themselves would be okay and pads most likely would be fine.