Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CanAmMan71

Bauer CCM switching

Sorry if I haven’t looked before, brand new to the forum. Before I begin, I will point out, I will definitely be trying the skates on, live and in person. I am asking more so in terms of longevity, not initial few skates... I have always been a Bauer guy, not for any reason in particular... I’ve been looking into the CCM line with interest. I wear a size 6.5 my width ratio is 2.35, so yes, I have wider feet. Been wearing bauer X60 in EE, and seemed to fit well, skates are older and kinda beat. I also have a pair of Supreme 160 in 6.5D, but I get these bad cramps along the whole arch. After about 10 minutes of crueling pain, things settle into place. I’m probably more in line with the Nexus line, but honestly, I think I’d prefer something a bit more performance geared. So, I’m looking into CCM Jetspeed. My question is, for any of you that have had these issues, or are more familiar with the CCM line, should I take up a EE in Jetspeed or Tacks? I will point out, when I do lace up the Supremes, they feel great, but after a warm up, or my first shift, I’m all but tearing in pain...so, initially it will be hard to assume on the CCM line, just by trying them on... I need proven CCM knowledge. I also have a small concern due to blade length, having 6.5 in EE affords me the 264 blade length, while in 6.5D it’s a 253 (I may have those numbers off, but you know what I mean) I do feel a little better on the longer blades, but I think I can adjust. Thoughts?

Some of you may be Nexus people too...I’d like your feedback as well. I don’t know why, but I have this feeling that Nexus is not as performance driven...I could be wrong. Ultimately comfort is paramount. Performance I’d have to generate. But starting to lean towards CCM

I keep posting on my post...just trying to get as many details out as possible... the skates I mentioned above Vapor X60 and Supreme 160 are yes, entry level to intermediate. My secondary reasoning for input is I’m also planning on going up in price point, not top end but slightly below.

Vapor, Nexus and Supreme are quite different shapes, so you can’t fit all three lines. Your post suggests you are a Vapor fit. In which case Supreme will not suit you. Nexus is the other extreme to the Vapor. One suggestion is to try Bauer Speed Plates to support your arches. However, if the skate does not fit, it does not fit. 

• Thanks 1

Nexus not being a performance skate is nonsense. The top of the line boot in all three lines are essentially on the same level in terms of performance. Key/fundamental difference is fit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a size 6ee nexus n9000, my first proper skates, going from an ill fitting pair of Grafs. When I first skated with these Nexus, the fit was perfect, slight bit of pain, but when I had warmed up, the boots felt like slippers, so comfy. When I was skating (at the time I wasn't a brilliant skater, still not perfect) however I was able to do things on the ice I'd never of dreamed about doing in the Grafs. I have just put new waxed laces in them and they feel like a brand new boot again. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies this far. About the three skate styles, I’m familiar with the Bauer three. My first pair, the Vapors, I purchased in EE, because I suspected I had wide feet. I had bought them online and liked the skate looks to be honest. I’ve played with them several season, with no issue. I figured that the Supremes I bought from a friend, that only wore them one time would fit better, however a 6.5D are killing my feet. As far as Nexus “seeming” to be inferior, I was merely assuming...I didn’t mean to suggest they were. Even Bauer suggests they are “traditional” I suppose my suggestion is that I’d rather have high tech, for the money. But first and foremost is comfort. Please allow me to apologize to Nexus users...I just don’t know, never tried them.

With that being said, I still am not sure if 6.5D would be the route I’d need to take with Nexus either. Technically speaking Vapors should have never been comfortable to me, with a width ratio of 2.35. D Supremes are not the route either.

Essentially Bauer have three lines of skates. The key difference is the fit. Vapor have narrow heels and are shallow. Nexus have wide heels and are deep. Supreme are in between. Bauer use slightly different technology for each, possibly to see which works best,  but at a given price point they are comparable in quality. CCM also have several different fits, though I am not familiar with them. 

Not to confuse you further but all three are also built on different lasts. A Vapor D is a true (as in baseline width, not True/VH) D width as a starting point. Alas:

Vapor D = true D

Supreme D = Vapor E

Nexus D = Vapor EE

Therefore, your EE Vapor is about “one width” wider than your D width supreme in true last terms. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Thanks 1

I don't see why people keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Skates aren't a one type fits all product which is why Bauer has three lines and CCM has several of their own. You're not going to get the performance benefits of a skate if they don't fit correctly or if you're in constant pain wearing them. According to geargeek.com, roughly 11% of NHL players are in some version of Nexus skates so if almost one in nine NHL players rocks them then they're good enough for anybody playing beer league. If they had poor performance, nobody in the league would be wearing them. Try out everything that Bauer and CCM make and if you can't find a pair that works for you, you may have to look at True's.

Edited by CigarScott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CanAmMan71 said:

Thank you for the replies this far. About the three skate styles, I’m familiar with the Bauer three. My first pair, the Vapors, I purchased in EE, because I suspected I had wide feet. I had bought them online and liked the skate looks to be honest. I’ve played with them several season, with no issue. I figured that the Supremes I bought from a friend, that only wore them one time would fit better, however a 6.5D are killing my feet. As far as Nexus “seeming” to be inferior, I was merely assuming...I didn’t mean to suggest they were. Even Bauer suggests they are “traditional” I suppose my suggestion is that I’d rather have high tech, for the money. But first and foremost is comfort. Please allow me to apologize to Nexus users...I just don’t know, never tried them.

Traditional, just means the fit. The amount of tech in the Nexus line will be the same as what the Supreme and Vapour lines have.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Not to confuse you further but all three are also built on different lasts. A Vapor D is a true (as in baseline width, not True/VH) D width as a starting point. Alas:

Vapor D = true D

Supreme D = Vapor E

Nexus D = Vapor EE

Therefore, your EE Vapor is about “one width” wider than your D width supreme in true last terms. 

Just to ad onto this, they are however made for different volume feet and toe area. For instance, the Nexus is a high volume boot for a large instep whereas Vapor is a volume boot.

• Like 1

I am probably inclined to try out the Nexus line, but was considering going up in price point. Nexus may be my best bet. Maybe even CCM Tacks? But again, I’m not sure if I’d need to be in EE in those...? It would appear that Nexus might be my answer

5 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I’m willing to bet upwards of 80% of that 11% are in a “dated” tech mesh 2010 Vapor X60 dressed as a Nexus aka the V Cut. 

Love my Nexus V-cut!!!!!

#TechMeshForever!!!   (oh, and Wakanda too!!!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanAmMan71 said:

Not available at my local hockey shop. I’m a Canuck living in South Carolina. The guy at the shop is great, don’t get me wrong. But that technology isn’t there.

They have it at North Georgia Hockey. The next time you're in Atlanta, hit that place up.

• Like 1

Do you do the usual tests when trying on skates? Check the toes brush the toe caps, make sure the heel is locked, check for sufficient depth with the pencil test etc? I suspect you know the various online guides. I think you really need to go to a shop you know you can trust and which has sufficient stock and range. In my country many shop staff are useless, whereas one shop is excellent. In my case Vapor was too shallow, and Nexus did not lock my heel, it was really obvious which fitted, and I’ve never had problems, though I might just have ‘standard’ feet. A friend had to go to VH skates. 

If you want performance, proper fit is king. Forget the brand names. Forget the tech. Pick your price point and find the best fitting skate in that range. That's IMHO how you'll get the best performance. 

Ill fitting skates will hurt your performance more than any tech could ever help. Add that to the possibility of developing foot issues, like Bauer bumps, which is a can of worms you do not want to open, then to me it's a no brainer. If the skate fit is perfect for your foot then it's the best skate ever. All other skates are junk to you, no matter what they're made of or what tech they posses.

If you're worried about runner size, you can get your runners profiled to a larger radius for more stability. It's what I did when I, as an adult, went from an already small size 5 to a size 4.5. 

I'm in Nexus N9000 Ds. In terms of fit, I'm between those and Supremes. All other skates I've tried from CCM--which included the supposedly similar fitting Tacks--and Bauer were no good, so it kind of surprises me that you're thinking of going from Vapors to Nexus. That's quite a difference, so be careful. Again, fit is king. IMHO, make that your only concern and you'll be happy.

my 2 cents. It's worth what you paid.

Edited by puckpilot
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, CanAmMan71 said:

It would appear that Nexus might be my answer

Based on what you have been in, let me put this as simply as I can: NO, Nexus will not be your answer. Why would you put a small heel in a wide skate??? Go to the shop, try everything on. Fit in this order 1: length (laces and tongue pulled out, foot in, toes brushing the toe cap, you shouldn't be able to fit a pencil down the back of your heel) 2: heel lock 3: volume (pencil test across the 3rd and 4th eyelets) 4: width. I say width last because if the other 3 are good then a tight width can be fixed with a stretch or punch. You can't fix any of the others without either major work or compromises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1