Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Im_CIA

Questions about the Hi-Lo Chassis and Rockering skates

I'm a beginner ice hockey player and I am looking to get into roller hockey as well since a lot of the best players at my ice rink play both in the same week. They say transfering back and forth between both improves your ice game. Mainly stick handling, positioning and endurance (since roller teams are usually smaller and only have 8 skaters you get more playing time).

Also I've been invited to join my colleges roller hockey club for next year.

I own a pair of $99 Tour skates with all 76mm wheels that are 82A. I use them for practicing outdoors at the tennis courts with a green biscuit. I've read on some old threads that rockering your skates can make them feel closer to ice skates. However, others have warned not to do it because you lose the competitive advantage of speed. If I only plan to use these skates on the tennis courts with a Green Biscuit is rockering them ok? Also how should I rocker them use a 72-76-76-72 pattern? When I put my inline skates on I have a hard time turning like I do on ice and I can't seem to stop.

Regarding Indoor roller hockey, I was planning on buying Bauer Vapor X500 skates with 74A wheels since the indoor rink is sport court. For Ice hockey I use Bauer Vapor X500s. I see that Bauer and Mission skates come with a "Hi-Lo" chassis compared to a straight chassis. What's the advantage of the Hi-Lo chassis? Does it help with turning and making the skates feel closer to ice?

You notice with the lads who play roller their stick handling is better than lads who soley do ice. Depending how often you're going to use them, you could consider getting some Marsblades fitted. When I do use my rollers I just use a straight set up, when I go from roller to ice it takes me a couple of laps to get my stride back to usual, however I have noticed my turns and skating improved, along with stick handling.

Hi-Lo is Bauers way of getting a slightly more aggressive pitch on the skate. Also, as their theory goes, smaller wheels on the front mean quicker turns and larger wheels on back mean more speed. Overall, rockering has come and gone. It really doesn't help with your transition between the 2 sports. If you want a similar feel off ice then a Marsblade setup is your best bet or buy the same ice boot and fit a roller chassis to it. Simple answer is to keep practicing, you need to do both sports ideally at least twice a week for the muscle memory to stay fresh. And it also depends on you, even the best of the best have issues. I was talking to an ex coach who was involved with the Canadian woman's ice and inline teams. These girls have been skating for years at both disciplines, some could switch instantly yet others would take 2 - 3 weeks to get up to speed again.

Edited by Vet88

I agree with Vet that it's not worth rockering the skates. Marsblade is one good option for a more ice like feel and Sprungs are the other. Sprungs are on sale for $89US; so are the cheaper option right now. I've used the Sprungs to play for a while now and really like them.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did go ahead and order Bauer X500 roller skates for Sport Court since they are the same as my ice skates.

I will leave my Tours in All 76 chassis. Tonight I have an Ice Game and tomorrow I am meeting with a friend to practice roller hockey on tennis courts.

It's easy for me to be on the Ice 3 to 4 times a week even with work and college, roller is harder to get the seat time since the Ice Rink has stick and puck times almost everyday as were the indoor roller rink only has roller hockey for league nights no stick and puck since it's used for free skating. Then outdoors it's a struggle dealing with rain and people actually wanting to play tennis on a tennis court.