Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jamarquan

New York Islanders fire Garth Snow and Doug Weight

https://twitter.com/StapeAthletic/status/1004060811415863296 

Guess the billboards worked... Forgetting for a moment that Snow's buyout is massive. Lamiorello assumes GM duties and will find a coach. This has me worried about Tavares. He got along well with Weight, but I know he values structure in the organization. We'll see on July first.

EDIT: Another tweet came out saying that both will remain with the organization. https://twitter.com/StapeAthletic/status/1004063564053741568 

Edited by Jamarquan

And absolutely nobody is surprised.

This is huge for the Tavares thing (though I still think it's unlikely he stays). Lou won't allow the dumpster fire to continue, and that's a good thing for Johnny T. 

You mean like how the Leafs kept Lou around in a adviser role, only to have him find a new job. I bet neither Weight or Snow are in NY at the start of the season. 

This was great news to hear.  I was extremely excited when Lou was hired to see where he would take things.  As far as JT is concerned I can see this going two ways.  When Lou talked with him he said remove dumb and dumber and I'll stay... oh and if you can sprinkle Kovy in there that would be cool.  The other way is Snow couldn't lock down JT and he is already gone so (wait for it...) Lou is cutting the dead WEIGHT.  Thanks, ill be here all night.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, RadioGaGa said:

You mean like how the Leafs kept Lou around in a adviser role, only to have him find a new job. I bet neither Weight or Snow are in NY at the start of the season. 

Yep happens everywhere. It's basically just "we'll keep paying you until you find a new gig." 

3 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

This was great news to hear.  I was extremely excited when Lou was hired to see where he would take things.  As far as JT is concerned I can see this going two ways.  When Lou talked with him he said remove dumb and dumber and I'll stay... oh and if you can sprinkle Kovy in there that would be cool.  The other way is Snow couldn't lock down JT and he is already gone so (wait for it...) Lou is cutting the dead WEIGHT.  Thanks, ill be here all night.

The Islanders don't need Kovalchuk. They need help preventing goals and Kovalchuk definitely isn't the guy to do that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

The Islanders don't need Kovalchuk. They need help preventing goals and Kovalchuk definitely isn't the guy to do that. 

They also need consistency from their offense, and having more guys who can score on a good pace is going to help when the usually high scoring forwards go dark. 

40 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

They were tied for 7th in the league in goals scored per game and 4th worst in goals allowed per game. 

Agreed, they need to figure out the Defense. I honestly don't even personally believe that both Halak and Greiss were the ultimate problem (Though Greiss most certainly had an off year). How many times this season did we allow 40+ shots in a single game, and i think there were at least 5 games with 50+ shots. The defense needs to be addressed, and unless Tavares leaves, Kovalchuk isn't really a necessary piece in the puzzle, not to say it would be nice to have him if they could offload say Ladd's contract.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

100% agree.  However, if they can land Kovalchuk they could possibly package Nelson, Ho-Sang and another prospect for a goalie or a top 4 dman.  This is all wishful thinking of course.  

Edited by strosedefence34

24 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Or they just spend the money that Kovalchuk would cost on a goalie or top 4 defenseman.

Do you know of a UFA goalie that would fill that role? 

• Like 1

Cam Ward and Jonathan Bernier will also be at the top of the scrap heap. Until they develop someone on their own the Isles are probably damned to a little more time of goaltending by committee. There are plenty of quality 4-6 defensemen that will be available this summer, though John Carlson is about the only option at the 1-2 slot. Did he ever luck out with his timing of going UFA.