Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Taskmaster99

Getting back after long layoff. Few questions.

I’ll try to keep this short. A few months ago I got divorced. No kids but now have some free time I didn’t really have before. There is an outdoor rink near me where a group of people gather a few nights a week and play pickup games.  I am very interested in getting back into it Roller hockey and playing one or two nights with this group. The rink like I said is outdoors but the concrete is super smooth and well maintained. Now onto the questions.

There is a shop called Play it Again sports near me that does sell some hockey equipment. I have picked up a couple sticks and some preowned gear in great condition but now I need skates. They sell only 2 models brand new. The Tour Code 9 and the Alkali RPD Lite R. I know both are low dollar, but I’m looking for the lesser of two evils here. I like to be able to try skates on before purchase and this gives me the opportunity to do that. I’m just looking for something that will get me playing right away. Down the line I will order something higher end.

In the meantime, which of the two models should I go with?

You should go with whatever skate fit your foot the best. The one with little to no negative space, your toes brushing the caps, good heel lock, proper depth and no serious pain/pressure points. Don't worry about the brand.

Also, yes those are both lower end models, but they'd give you an idea of the general sizing and fit of those lines. If one of those two skates fit you well then you could always order a mid-range skate in the same line in the same size. The low end skates will likely break down very quickly and won't provide much support unless you're very light and play very infrequently. The higher end models will feel a little different since they use different materials, but the general last and sizing should be the same.

Also, if the Tour and Alkali skates don't fit that well you can figure out your size in some of the other inline brands by trying on ice skates. Mission skates are built on the Bauer Supreme last (Bauer owns Mission); so if you fit Bauer Supreme ice skates well and figure out your Supreme size then you know your Mission size. Vapor inlines will fit and size the same as Vapor ice skates. Tacks and Jetspeeds are a little trickier since the sizing changed with the ice skates in the last few years. Here's a post from the product manager that explains the sizing changes: 

So with CCM you'd have to know what model year you're trying on with the ice skates and what model year you're ordering with the inlines.

• Like 2

Protective isn't as important as skates, so for things like elbow pads/gloves Play it Again should be fine.  I'd suggest really taking the time to find the skates that fit you though.

I understand what you all are saying about the skates. Im going to try on both brands but am now looking at going a little higher in the range if the fit is right. Possibly the Tour Code 5 and the Alkali RPD Recon. 

• Like 1

So I went this morning and tried on both. I wear a size 10 shoe so I followed the size charts for both brands. Unfortunately Alkali recommends an 8.5 but the RPD Lite R only comes in full sizes. That being said, the size 9 Tour was more snug than a size 9 Alkali. I tried squeezing into an 8 Alkali but that was no go. 

• Like 1