Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

12 hours ago, stick9 said:

I think value comes when you want something that your local store doesn't have, or when there is no local store. I was a bit surprised by the pricing and shipping rates.

But if your LHS doesnt have it best believe I'm looking at one of the big online stores before I go to the Bauer site strictly because promo discounts and shipping make it more appealing value wise.

17 hours ago, adam14 said:

But if your LHS doesnt have it best believe I'm looking at one of the big online stores before I go to the Bauer site strictly because promo discounts and shipping make it more appealing value wise.

Current gear is excluded from discounts though...

On 8/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

I feel like I'm repeating myself - I posted this two pages back.

The "stay in family" refers to the boot, primarily in terms of volume.

This is absolutely nothing new.  When we did custom skates before, we would recommend the boot with the path of least resistance as a base.  That's why you don't see low volume Nexus skates or high volume Vapors.  There are 3 lines to work with.  Plus all of those lines skate differently and have different pitches.

CCM is doing the same thing.  What @BlueNux is asking for isn't feasible at this time.

Could you explain how the three Bauer lines differ in terms of pitch and skating? Thanks. 

I had a 3D scan yesterday. It recommended Vapor as ideal, Supreme as border line, Nexus as completely unsuitable. My current skates are stock Supreme which had the best fit when I tried all three lines on a couple of years ago. The Vapor failed the pencil test, so I assume the pencil test is only a guide, as otherwise they were okay. That said, I’ve been happy with Supremes and that is my preferred model. JDub did indicate that you can go to a neighbouring model, though generally it is to be avoided. 

As others have said, the price difference between custom and non custom is minor compared to the non custom price. 

1 hour ago, Leif said:

Could you explain how the three Bauer lines differ in terms of pitch and skating? Thanks. 

I had a 3D scan yesterday. It recommended Vapor as ideal, Supreme as border line, Nexus as completely unsuitable. My current skates are stock Supreme which had the best fit when I tried all three lines on a couple of years ago. The Vapor failed the pencil test, so I assume the pencil test is only a guide, as otherwise they were okay. That said, I’ve been happy with Supremes and that is my preferred model. JDub did indicate that you can go to a neighbouring model, though generally it is to be avoided. 

As others have said, the price difference between custom and non custom is minor compared to the non custom price. 

What size and width of Supreme are you wearing, and what size and width of Vapor does the scan recommend?

Edited by Larry54

1 minute ago, Larry54 said:

What size and width of Supreme are you wearing, and what size and width of Vapor does the scan recommend?

My current skates are stock Supreme S160 7EE. The recommended stock Vapor is 7EE. Hopefully you can see the scan here: 

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/?utm_medium=myvemail

I always thought I had wide feet, but they’re actually not that wide. I have decided to go for customs, and when I mentioned I was previously most happy with Supremes, Mark who did the scan said I could go for Supremes. I tried on Supremes and Vapor in 6.5EE. The Supremes  did not feel too deep, whereas Nexus are like boats on my feet. 

1 hour ago, Leif said:

I had the reverse experience. The scan recommended a Supreme though I ultimately ended up in a Vapor. I’m fairly certian either model would have worked. The Vapor just felt better, especially in the ankle area.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leif said:

My current skates are stock Supreme S160 7EE. The recommended stock Vapor is 7EE. Hopefully you can see the scan here: 

I'd have no problem putting you in a Supreme looking at that scan.  The 3D Skate analyzes and recommends best fit or primary fit.  Where you have one foot which is wider than the other going custom is a good decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

I'd have no problem putting you in a Supreme looking at that scan.  The 3D Skate analyzes and recommends best fit or primary fit.  Where you have one foot which is wider than the other going custom is a good decision.

Thank you. My LHS has always been very good. Apparently Bauer customs are doing quite well for them. 

6 hours ago, Leif said:

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/2f029e24-c1e1-4885-bd8a-706f9cc01baf/?utm_medium=myvemail

I always thought I had wide feet, but they’re actually not that wide. I have decided to go for customs, and when I mentioned I was previously most happy with Supremes, Mark who did the scan said I could go for Supremes. I tried on Supremes and Vapor in 6.5EE. The Supremes  did not feel too deep, whereas Nexus are like boats on my feet. 

One thing that jumps out at me when seeing your scan is the outer toes on your right foot especially. My feet are similar in that the big toe not only has a bump on the side but also doesn't taper toward the middle to follow the shape of a typical skate toe cap, maybe a bit more than yours. That always gave me problems until I got a pair of VH where they shaped the toe caps to accommodate this. Otherwise I had to get skates that were a size larger to minimize the problem which was not ideal. So while your feet might not be overly wide, it might feel that way to you if you need extra width in the toe cap. Maybe your custom skate will take that into consideration with an oversized toe cap or something of the sort.

Edited by Larry54

11 hours ago, Larry54 said:

One thing that jumps out at me when seeing your scan is the outer toes on your right foot especially. My feet are similar in that the big toe not only has a bump on the side but also doesn't taper toward the middle to follow the shape of a typical skate toe cap, maybe a bit more than yours. That always gave me problems until I got a pair of VH where they shaped the toe caps to accommodate this. Otherwise I had to get skates that were a size larger to minimize the problem which was not ideal. So while your feet might not be overly wide, it might feel that way to you if you need extra width in the toe cap. Maybe your custom skate will take that into consideration with an oversized toe cap or something of the sort.

That’s an interesting question whether the moulded toe cap is custom, or off the shelf, I suspect the latter. I tried on Vapor 6.5 EE and my toes felt bunched, whereas with Supreme 6.5EE they didn’t, so I think I will be fine. You’d think Bauer had this all sorted anyway, as they’ve been doing this custom line for pros for a while now. 

Just went and got scanned because I was curious.  I did set up an account with Volumental, but I cannot seem to access the scan online anywhere and it was not emailed to me.  The app did crash during the setup of the account.

Anyway, I have been wearing 8D Supreme 190 for a few years now with no issues.  It recommended 8.5D Vapors which I already knew 8.5 was too long.  For fun, I tried on the display 1X which was an 8. The length was correct 8.5 would have been too long.  I did feel a bunch of hot spots mostly width wise that I don't feel in Supremes.  I know baking wouldn't drastically widen the boot.  In the past when I have gone skate shopping I have always tried on a bunch of different skates Vapors just never felt comfortable out of the box like Supremes did.  I would love to be able to demo a pair of Vapors though just for a comparison. 

I understand that Bauer will make a 3D print of your foot and make the custom skate off of that.  I guess my question is if you can add extra or different foam padding for the ankle to help with heel lock?  I have custom 2015 1X skates with AA heels but am looking for better heel lock (fwiw, the customizer puts me in Vapors with shallow feet everywhere but medium ankle wrap (seems true as my inner ankle bone sits a little closer to the eyelets than I'd like, but it looks like the new 1X addresses this with the offset ankles)).  This leads me to the next question if the 2017 1X or the new 2S Pro has better heat moldability?

13 hours ago, Hack_11 said:

I understand that Bauer will make a 3D print of your foot and make the custom skate off of that.  I guess my question is if you can add extra or different foam padding for the ankle to help with heel lock?  I have custom 2015 1X skates with AA heels but am looking for better heel lock (fwiw, the customizer puts me in Vapors with shallow feet everywhere but medium ankle wrap (seems true as my inner ankle bone sits a little closer to the eyelets than I'd like, but it looks like the new 1X addresses this with the offset ankles)).  This leads me to the next question if the 2017 1X or the new 2S Pro has better heat moldability?

Have your fitter reference your ticket number in the comments.

14 hours ago, Hack_11 said:

Doesn't matter which is more heat moldable? If they are building the skate using high compression heat both either material is just fine. After all, Curv is basically just recycled plastic soda bottles. 

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

There is no 2N Pro coming from what I understand. 

I was under the impression when getting custom Nexus that was what was potentially being sent out. Perhaps I misread. 

15 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

There is no 2N Pro coming from what I understand. 

See the reply from JDub on page 7 which briefly describes the 2N Pro skates. 

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

Speaking of Bauer does anyone know if there will be different price points for their new Nexus gear?  The shins, shoulders, elbows, and gloves on their website only show 2N with no diffent models listed.