Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
2nhockey

Liner Wear

I've been in my CCM Ribcores for about 2 years of 1-2 times a week beer league and/or pick up. I started off wearing my shins under my tongue but have changed to tucking the tongues under my shins.

I noticed the inner liner around the top eyelet on both sides of both skated has completely disappeared. Is there a fix for this? Is there a way to prevent it in the first place? Is this just a hazard of flopping the tongue (which I don't do anymore)?

I got new skates this weekend and would prefer to not tear up the liner!

Agreed.  Just a high wear area, which is why you see some manufacturers tout that they have special "high wear" material in those areas now.  You could reduce the wear in those areas by restricting movement in that area, but that's not a good thing to do, since you'd be sacrificing forward flexion if you did so.  

7 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

I've been in my CCM Ribcores for about 2 years of 1-2 times a week beer league and/or pick up. I started off wearing my shins under my tongue but have changed to tucking the tongues under my shins.

I noticed the inner liner around the top eyelet on both sides of both skated has completely disappeared. Is there a fix for this? Is there a way to prevent it in the first place? Is this just a hazard of flopping the tongue (which I don't do anymore)?

I got new skates this weekend and would prefer to not tear up the liner!

Typically its caused by the shin guard rubbing against the boot. if you take them to a shoe maker or a boot repairer they can wrap a leather patch over it. Ideally you get the eyelet replaced also so the patch can be fixed firmly in place. Or you can get shorter shins or you can stay in the same shins but cut the bottom part that is rubbing on the boot off with a dremel or some other suitable device. Those with a shin that fits over the top of the boot have the same issue except it is the bottom of lining of the shin guard that gets destroyed.

Thanks for the insight. 

On a different note, the new Supreme 180's felt pretty good last night. Fit is a lot looser than the CCM Ribcores I was in so need to get used to that.