Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jpeaslee

It's 2018, is the Nexus still the only High Volume skate on the market?

Lots of new lines in the last year, but it doesn't look like any are offering a higher volume/instep like the Nexus.  Am I missing anything?  My Nexus n9000 are the only thing I've passed a pencil test with, but the heel is still too wide.  It seems crazy that I don't have any other options aside from going custom?

You're not realizing how much of a non-market there really is for you. There's a reason Nexus sells terribly. Part of it I do think is marketability of Supreme and Vapor and those two names have been going strong for 20 years - but - Most people fit into those skates which is why they have more models and more people are in them. Not too many people need the width & volume of a Nexus. 

The new Nexus line is launching in July, you'll have options again shortly. Tacks is next closest however those are narrower in all areas. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jpeaslee said:

Lots of new lines in the last year, but it doesn't look like any are offering a higher volume/instep like the Nexus.  Am I missing anything?  My Nexus n9000 are the only thing I've passed a pencil test with, but the heel is still too wide.  It seems crazy that I don't have any other options aside from going custom?

Just more lovely Nexus' for me and you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, raganblink said:

You're not realizing how much of a non-market there really is for you. There's a reason Nexus sells terribly. Part of it I do think is marketability of Supreme and Vapor and those two names have been going strong for 20 years - but - Most people fit into those skates which is why they have more models and more people are in them. Not too many people need the width & volume of a Nexus. 

The new Nexus line is launching in July, you'll have options again shortly. Tacks is next closest however those are narrower in all areas. 

Really the thing with the nexus is not that I need the width. A supreme in EE fits my width just fine, i just need some more depth.  

• Like 1

I misread what you're looking for - sorry.

For a high volume low ankle width skate your only option will be custom if Tacks doesn't work for you. Little narrower in the heel & forefoot, and a little shallower however it does have more volume than the Supreme. 

8 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

My foot bulged out of the top of the Tacks line but the Ribcor 70K does the job quite nicely for me.

Mine did as well, to my surprise. A very nice skate

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

My foot bulged out of the top of the Tacks line but the Ribcor 70K does the job quite nicely for me.

30 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Mine did as well, to my surprise. A very nice skate

This is interesting.  When I was trying skates last year (mostly mail order, local shop doesn't stock much) I never thought to try Ribcores due to everything saying they're low volume.  I did try some tacks (the ones before the SuperTacks) and the volume wasn't much better than the jetspeeds in EE (which fit great except the volume).  

41 minutes ago, stick9 said:

If the new 2S comes with some of the features the 2017 1X comes with, the Supreme could work.

What features are these?  

46 minutes ago, jpeaslee said:

This is interesting.  When I was trying skates last year (mostly mail order, local shop doesn't stock much) I never thought to try Ribcores due to everything saying they're low volume.  I did try some tacks (the ones before the SuperTacks) and the volume wasn't much better than the jetspeeds in EE (which fit great except the volume).  

What features are these?  

The new Ribcors aren't marketed properly. CCM says, low volume, shallow heel pocket - narrow forefoot & low instep. I didn't find them to be low volume or have a low instep.

What features? If they do the asymmetrical quarter panel that will give a touch more volume. If they do the 1X tongue, lace bite may not be an issue even if you still fail the pencil test. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

The new Ribcors aren't marketed properly. CCM says, low volume, shallow heel pocket - narrow forefoot & low instep. I didn't find them to be low volume or have a low instep.

I have to agree. I think the new Ribcor line is very much a high volume and very wide skate. Where a D width in an FT1 or Super Tack would fit me a little too tightly the Ribcor 70k felt sloppy and too loose. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpeaslee said:

I had the same issues with volume and had to go with Nexus. To address the heel width issue, I got some felt insoles from the dollar store, cut them up, and velcroed a palm size piece to each side of the ankle/heel area of each skate. 

You could choose to glue them in, but I wanted the option to reposition the felt and/or replace it when it wore down. 

It seems the Ribcor fit has changed 3 times in the last few years. Wider, higher volume RBK, low volume CCM, now apparently higher volume. Keep in mind all of this could be wrong as it was all confusing to me as a consumer. 

• Like 1

Speaking from experience, the Ribcor skates have a high eyelet wall, making them able to accommodate a larger volume foot.  Better heel lock than the nexus, and softer so it can mold to your foot better.

18 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

Speaking from experience, the Ribcor skates have a high eyelet wall, making them able to accommodate a larger volume foot.  Better heel lock than the nexus, and softer so it can mold to your foot better.

I actually just ordered a pair of 70k's to try (I love IW) and see if they work.  I tried a pair of the new supertacks and the volume was somehow even worse than the jetspeeds, and even in EE, the toe box was too narrow.  I'm really hoping is a good option.  

So the 70ks I was able to get in were 10.5D.  They feel pretty good.  The toe box is a little narrow.  Is the toe box wider in EE as well?  It still doesn't have quite enough volume to pass the pencil test, but it's close.  It feels tight in the heel.  With as moldable as these are, I'm wondering if I went with an EE and baked them, if it'd settle my heel in enough to give me a little more volume.  Also i keep reading about the tongues being moldable.  Even if i was still failing the pencil test, with this tongue, is it something I'd have to worry about lace bite with?

According to Bauer, only 15% of people have feet that require Nexus skates so that may explain why they dramatically cut down the number of Nexus line for 2018 and why CCM doesn't bother with a high volume skate. Graf G709 is the only other high volume skate that I'm aware of but good luck finding anyone that sells them...

On 6/20/2018 at 4:59 AM, jpeaslee said:

So the 70ks I was able to get in were 10.5D.  They feel pretty good.  The toe box is a little narrow.  Is the toe box wider in EE as well?  It still doesn't have quite enough volume to pass the pencil test, but it's close.  It feels tight in the heel.  With as moldable as these are, I'm wondering if I went with an EE and baked them, if it'd settle my heel in enough to give me a little more volume.  Also i keep reading about the tongues being moldable.  Even if i was still failing the pencil test, with this tongue, is it something I'd have to worry about lace bite with?

Buy a skate that solves all your other problems first - length, width, heel lock. If volume still fails you then buy some eyelet extenders, these will permanently fix your volume issues and you can move them to any other skate you choose in the future. Using eyelet extenders opens up your range of choices so they are well worth the money spent.

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Buy a skate that solves all your other problems first - length, width, heel lock. If volume still fails you then buy some eyelet extenders, these will permanently fix your volume issues and you can move them to any other skate you choose in the future. Using eyelet extenders opens up your range of choices so they are well worth the money spent.

The only time I've seen pics of eyelet extenders, they're at the top of the skate, like top 2-3 eyelets.  Where I'm failing is like 4,5,6 down.  Do you just fasten them lower, or am I missing something here?

6 hours ago, jpeaslee said:

The only time I've seen pics of eyelet extenders, they're at the top of the skate, like top 2-3 eyelets.  Where I'm failing is like 4,5,6 down.  Do you just fasten them lower, or am I missing something here?

You can fasten the eyelet extenders wherever you want them, it's just that most people have volume issues / lace bite that comes from around the top 3 eyelet area hence they are always pictured there. I have fastened them lower for other people who have the same issue as you. By using these they were then able to buy the skate that fitted them everywhere else but for the volume. Whilst I make my own and they are rectangular shaped, the Great Saves ones are offset so you may need to rotate them to best suit your needs.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:24 AM, jpeaslee said:

Graf PK and 755 has pretty deep instep as well....

In the FWIW category, I was up in MN for a family reunion and managed to make it by General Sports in Edina/Minneapolis.  Had a really knowledgeable guy work with me on some skate options.  Unfortunately they hadn't gotten their CCM scanner in just yet, but he did go through some bauer skates and did the Bauer 3d fit.  It said I was a 10.5D in supremes.  He said the scanner tends to run big and had me try on a 9.5 and 10.  Now in my Nexus, My toe feathers the end of the toe cap if I'm standing straight up, and when i squat down, it barely pulls off.  I really felt like the 9.5 was too short, but the 10.0 wasn't as bad as I though, and I'm sure my heel would kick back in a little bit after a bake.  The width still killed me.  It was pretty uncomfortable on the outside of the ball of my foot, and my pinky toe bunched up on top of the other toes.  

He pretty strongly recommended the True skates, went ahead and did a scan to potentially order some at a later date and mail them to me.  I'm warming up to the idea of the Trues, but I'm still just a bit skeptical of something that I can't even remotely try on before hand, something with zero local support for, and they still just look absolutely crazy to me.  I'm looking forward to seeing some more feedback from people doing the CCM customs. 

That's funny, when I was at that General Sports about a year and a half ago and talked to the guys about their opinions of the new CCMs and VH (now True), they were unanimously opposed to VH. It'd be interesting to hear why that changed.

Edited by flip12

True has been making an effort to get into stores around here more than VH did. Probably has something to do with that. Got my scans done with no issues by the True folks.