Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Bauer Nexus 1N D vs EE width Vapor or Supreme?

Our store typically doesn't stock Bauer Nexus skates will order them for customers if requests.

I have a player who typically wears a Vapor or Supreme in EE width, depending on the year of the skate, request to order a Nexus 1N in a D width. His logic is that since he typically wears an EE width in other models and a D width in the Nexus would fit him fine. He is trying to save money and we can get him the Nexus 1N for 30% less than a 1S or 1X. 

Does anyone know the likelihood of this being true? My gut instinct is saying the skates are going to be too loose and sloppy for him. Especially since he is wearing 2015 Vapor 1x skates currently and is happy with their fit. 

Ive found that the D width nexus fits close to a EE Vapor with more volume in the boot. Its hard to tell if its going to fit him well if he cant try it on. 

When I was shopping for skate a couple of years ago, the choices narrowed down to Supreme S190s in EEs and Nexus N9000 in a D. I went with the Nexus because I'm a grown man in size 4.5, so I had volume issues, otherwise ideally, I'd be in Supremes. The length, width, and general fit profile suited me better, but didn't want to mess with lace bite. No thanks to messed up tendons. My LHS has the 30 day fit gaurantee, so I got to skate in both skates several times.

To me the toe box was a little wider in the Nexus but not enough to make a difference for me. But there was a significant difference in the toe box height. I had to put some power foot inserts in to make it workable in that area, and then I had to add felt padding to the ankle area to get propper heel lock. Didn't take long to get the fit into the right ball park, but I've had to do a lot of tweaking to dial things in, but with my small feet, making tweaks to my skates isn't new to me. Though, at times, I wonder how things would have worked out if I chose Supremes. Meh, probably same boat, different name.  

17 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Our store typically doesn't stock Bauer Nexus skates will order them for customers if requests.

I have a player who typically wears a Vapor or Supreme in EE width, depending on the year of the skate, request to order a Nexus 1N in a D width. His logic is that since he typically wears an EE width in other models and a D width in the Nexus would fit him fine. He is trying to save money and we can get him the Nexus 1N for 30% less than a 1S or 1X. 

Does anyone know the likelihood of this being true? My gut instinct is saying the skates are going to be too loose and sloppy for him. Especially since he is wearing 2015 Vapor 1x skates currently and is happy with their fit. 

If he’s happy in a EE Vapor he’ll be swimming in a D Nexus. I imagine heel lock will be a issue.

Edited by stick9
phrasing

So, when it comes to true widths (as in what you would get in for custom skates), Vapor is always correct.

However, a D in a Supreme is an E, and a D in a Nexus is an EE.

The thing though, is that the overall shapes are different.  Will a Nexus D go on his foot?  Yes.  Will it work?  Not sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

So, when it comes to true widths (as in what you would get in for custom skates), Vapor is always correct.

However, a D in a Supreme is an E, and a D in a Nexus is an EE.

The thing though, is that the overall shapes are different.  Will a Nexus D go on his foot?  Yes.  Will it work?  Not sure.

I have tried to explain that to him that heel depth, instep and facing are also different and it's not only the width. I am waiting to hear back and see what he wants to do. If anything, I would rather have him buy a lesser model skate around the price he wants to spend if it fits better instead of a more expensive skate that fits poorly. 

• Like 1