Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
chippa13

2018 Off-Season Transactions

Matt Martin back to the Islanders.  As an Islander fan, I am excited to have him back.  I always liked him.  However not really sure where Lou is going with this by just loading the team up with a bottom 6.  All I can say is I do trust Lou and I am excited to see where he takes the Islanders.

Edited by strosedefence34

The guy puts in 9 years and isn't allowed to be a FA. Makes sense. He doesn't owe the organization anything. Mgmt/ownership is to blame. They had a enough time to have a contingent plan(s). NYI fans can be upset that he left. To be upset AT him for leaving seems ridiculous.

James van Riemsdyk back to Philly. Not a bad way to use the available cap space for a legit top6 forward that will put SOG.

I don't know where this leaves Simmonds, but i don't want to see him go; even if he has lots of value...

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

James van Riemsdyk back to Philly. Not a bad way to use the available cap space for a legit top6 forward that will put SOG.

I don't know where this leaves Simmonds, but i don't want to see him go; even if he has lots of value...

I think they over paid for JVR. I like the Neal contract in Calgary better. 

Neal - https://www.nhl.com/player/james-neal-8471707

JVR - https://www.nhl.com/player/james-van-riemsdyk-8474037

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 11:15 AM, IPv6Freely said:

One year worth 4 million.  I am okay with this contract.  He and Greiss can split time it is better than having someone from Bridgeport sit on the bench and back up Greiss.  I'd rather have one of those guys get more games in and develop more.  I also think if JT did stay that would have given Lou more of a push to make a deal for a better goalie.  At this point, the Islanders are just going to build around their young kids and put the process in motion to be contenders in a few years.  I don't expect them to be great this year, and now they don't have to.

I really look at the loss of JT a different way now.  Sure I liked him and thought he was the start of ending all of their problems, but he never really meshed well with anyone on the team.  Sure he did okay with Moulson and Okposo.  He was a strong piece of the puzzle in having Bailey and Lee having career years, but Garth tried to bring in Ladd and Eberly to play with him and they couldn't find the chemistry.  Obviously, I am okay with what Eberly did last season with Barzal and Beauvillier.  Just my $.02

On 7/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, Paddy said:

As a Flyers' fan, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my dislike for JVR haha. Hextall and Co. overpaid for him. Simple as that. I didn't even care to bring it up just because I think the Flyers' issues are more significant than one signing. JVR will get you 35-ish G's with 55-ish points. That was he has been and I don't see him all of a sudden changing his ways well into his prime. 

As for Simmers, I felt that he should've been traded 2 off-seasons ago. His value was at its pique. He is currently my favorite Flyer but the way he plays, he is more of a 'running back.' As once as RBs drop off, there usually isn't much to turn that downward fall.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

When the flyers lose some bad contracts, like Amac, people will forget what JVR cost if he produces what he should (i don't disagree he's expensive, just that it should be worth it). TK is only getting better, Patrick might pan out to be quite good.

I really think the offense is setup for success when the youngins mature. By then, if the defense is sorted out we've got a powerhouse.

I've got no idea if we'll ever have the goal figured out. But Hexy looks to have some candidates closer to NHL ready.

I can agree on Simmonds. Here's my fav as well. You may be right about him, I've just felt that he hasn't fit into Hak's systems. Apparently he was injured all last year, i think i heard.

You do have to remember that JVR scored all his goals on the PP on a top team PP-wise. His 5-on-5 production was terrible. 

Thats more why he’s overpaid than anything else.

He had one of the best contract-year seasons ever.

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

He had one of the best contract-year seasons ever.

Yeah, I was a little annoyed that he got so hot on a contract year

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Yeah, I was a little annoyed that he got so hot on a contract year

I had to keep reminding myself of that when it became clear he wasn’t coming back.

Jeff Skinner heading to BUF

I really like the trade made by the Sabres. They will be fun to watch next year. For their sake, I hope Skinner resigns with them. Him and Eichel should hit it off. Add in guys like Mittelstadt and Reinhart, the Sabres faithful can maybe start to feel some hope for the future. Oh yea: that Dahlin may not be half bad either...