Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kkancho

2018 True 2 Piece Stick Durability

Has anyone tried the 2018 True 6.0 2 piece sticks?

I've been using the 2016 2 piece combo from true and loved the balance / feel so I got the 2018 combo.

I got 4 blades now and every single one broke right at the hosel of the blade. None of the blades lasted for more than a game..

Anyone else have this experience?

I've been using 2 piece sticks all my life and broke more blades in the past month than I did in the past 15 years.

11 hours ago, BureKovy said:

All true pieces are standard blades just FYI.  

Do you mean all true 2 pieces are standard? 

They had both standard and tapered hosel in the 2016 models. 

2 hours ago, kkancho said:

Do you mean all true 2 pieces are standard? 

They had both standard and tapered hosel in the 2016 models. 

Yeah they got rid of the tapered and only provide standard hosel for 2018.  No idea why.

18 minutes ago, BureKovy said:

Yeah they got rid of the tapered and only provide standard hosel for 2018.  No idea why.

Yeah that's why I had to get a new shaft as well. I had no problems with the tapered combo but the new standard has been horrendous. 

I would definitely contact True. I had the same thing happen with a True blade (not 2018 version), broke right at the hosel after a couple games. The next True blade I used is actually still going strong and is the longest lasting blade perhaps I've every used.

When someone says they're breaking a lot of blades at the hosel then I start thinking they're pounding a combo with a too stiff shaft down into the ice. If the shaft doesn't bend then the blade takes the brunt of the force and fails in the hosel, most often at the fuse point.

Fair, but when a huge sample of people report the same blade breaking in the same spot over and over (while avoiding the issue with other replacement blades) I start thinking that the item is probably just a poorly made POS. 🙂

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

When someone says they're breaking a lot of blades at the hosel then I start thinking they're pounding a combo with a too stiff shaft down into the ice. If the shaft doesn't bend then the blade takes the brunt of the force and fails in the hosel, most often at the fuse point.

I use a 75 flex. And to make it worse.. I play ball hockey and hardly take any slapshots.

I called the store I got it from and it seems like other people are having the same problem + I checked some online stores and from reading the reviews, I'm seeing the same problems.

After breaking 4, it doesn't make much sense to get yet another warranty replacement. The store I got it from was nice enough to just give me store credit so I'm waiting for more options to open it.. going to try calling True tomorrow and if they can do something I can just let the store know and cancel my store credit.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 4:31 PM, kkancho said:

I use a 75 flex. And to make it worse.. I play ball hockey and hardly take any slapshots.

Yeah, I don't think this is the cause in this case. Similarly, mine that broke at the fuse point was in a 75 flex and broke on a poke check. I may have taken 2 slap shots before it broke? It seem to be a too common point of failure. But I love the how the blade feels.

Spoke with True and they said they were kind enough to send replacements.

22 hours ago, Davideo said:

Yeah, I don't think this is the cause in this case. Similarly, mine that broke at the fuse point was in a 75 flex and broke on a poke check. I may have taken 2 slap shots before it broke? It seem to be a too common point of failure. But I love the how the blade feels.

Yeah I have a love hate relationship with these. It's the best two piece combo I've used in terms of feel / balance and the blade lasted the longest (the ones that didn't snap at the neck right away at least).. 

I had no problem with tapered blades from True.. unfortunate they discontinued it.