Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jpeaslee

Anyone ever made their own Hockey Bag?

I'm sure it's harder than it seems, but then again, it doesn't seem like it'd be THAT hard?  My mom has an old industrial sewing machine that'd make quick work of the stitching part.  

I love my Easton/Bauer Pro15 bag.  The design of it is fantastic.  Dimensions are great (it actually fits in the trunk of my little BRZ.)  However, it doesn't seem that well made, the zippers suck, and I'd love a little more room.  

My thoughts are to make something pretty similar but with a nice cordura material instead of this weird vinyl stuff they used.  Nice big #10 YKK zippers.  Might do something like the top flap on the Pacific Rink bags for some jersey storage and put another end pocket on instead of a helmet compartment.  Might also put in some mesh venting Grit Airbox style.  

Am I under thinking this, or is it as do-able as I'm thinking?

• Like 1

If you have the right tools, and if you have someone who know how to design something like this to help you avoid major pitfalls, then yeah, sounds like a very doable project. 

As with a lot of things if it was really easy to do, everyone would be doing it.  Cause often the simplest things can turn into the biggest pain in the butt. 

Good luck with your project  

With no wheels or extendable handles it is easy enough if you have the tools. My wife used to make sports bags for the school netball team, just up size these and you have the basic hockey bag.

In theory, making bags SHOULD be easy.  I know, and learned the hard way.  There are so many little details that go into making a bag.

From bag material, to zipper, to webbing for stairs and handles, to thread, to creating your patterns, to finally making it to a sewing machine and what size needles to use, to breaking needless, to threading the machine once you break said needles, there's some planning to do.

I'm looking forward to following your progress on this! You're first bag will be a journey. Keep track of all of the time you spend, take photos at every step. You will appreciate that you did!

Edited by JunkyardAthletic
  • Like 1

Only one way to find out whether or not you can design and build your own bag: try it. 

I built my own bicycle frames, bicycle parts and all sorts of things from composite with no prior experience. I did not even take shop class in school.

I read, re-read, and read every website, resource book and instruction book available. I grilled every resource I could, even though some became competitors. I probably spent more than it would have cost to buy the items, but I figured out what it took to build things from composite. It also instilled a sense of resourcefulness that merely buying off of the shelf could not provide. I ended up appreciating how things were priced, especially from small builders.

I sold the business and had a long non-compete. All this would not have been possible had I not taken the first step. 

You may stop at the first bag you had built, and that’s okay. Or it could become an addiction and you could end up doing this as a part time job or full time career. 

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

• Like 1

It is definitely doable, but I am not sure why would you bother with it.

There are some good bags on the market - go buy one, unless its a hobby that you can convert to a business, where marketing is biggest issue.

We have local company making great pro bags. They already got access to best materials available.

I'm in the same boat. I currently play Tetris to get my gear into a @JunkyardAthletic coach's bag because I'm often taking my gear into NYC subway/buses and there is rarely room for a full size bag, so I've been thinking of  designing a bag with adjusted proportions to be a little travel friendly and have backpack ergonomics.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:46 PM, McDougalfaschnitzer said:

I'm in the same boat. I currently play Tetris to get my gear into a @JunkyardAthletic coach's bag because I'm often taking my gear into NYC subway/buses and there is rarely room for a full size bag, so I've been thinking of  designing a bag with adjusted proportions to be a little travel friendly and have backpack ergonomics.

Figure it out, clown... :4_joy:

On 7/30/2018 at 12:46 PM, McDougalfaschnitzer said:

I have the GRIT pod for my player gear. It would be fantastic for that purpose with its one large sling strap.

image.png.d7b0919a27d93abd489115a60aa40ef8.png

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I have the GRIT pod for my player gear. It would be fantastic for that purpose with its one large sling strap.

As someone who thought it would be fun to lug their gear through 3 different forms of NYC Public Transit during SJ one year, that bag is still big and cumbersome. 

I'd be okay taking what would amount to a large duffel... maybe something that holds skates/pants/gloves/under garments. Then my helmet clipped on the outside. The pants are the biggest problem, unless you wear a girdle that can be folded. 

28 minutes ago, IniNew said:

As someone who thought it would be fun to lug their gear through 3 different forms of NYC Public Transit during SJ one year, that bag is still big and cumbersome. 

I'd be okay taking what would amount to a large duffel... maybe something that holds skates/pants/gloves/under garments. Then my helmet clipped on the outside. The pants are the biggest problem, unless you wear a girdle that can be folded. 

Yea, it's still not perfect that's for sure. 

I have a CCM ref bag that would probably be perfect for some guys. You're right about the pants being a problem. In my GRIT pod I stuff my shins, jock and elbows into the pants and that definitely helps.