Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bthompson1286

Mako1 vs mako 2 skate

So I know I'm very late to the dance on this one but in terms of the mako generation 1 skate and the mako generation 2 skate, was there a big difference between the two.  Is the fit the same or did that change?  Stiffness difference?  Did they fix the skin wear from the 1 to the 2?  I read that they had an issue of rubbing and peoples ankles were becoming raw.  believe it or not i'm back to skating in S15 skates and looking to go mako next.  

Not too much difference in fit. They did fix the rubbing issue. 

If you can find a pair of Makos in your size, lucky you. They aren’t easy to find.

20 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not too much difference in fit. They did fix the rubbing issue. 

If you can find a pair of Makos in your size, lucky you. They aren’t easy to find.

So did the fit stay the same or if some changes, what were the changes.  Thank you 

Fit didn't change.  They rounded off the edges on the bottom of the skate.  On the original Mako, the edge was square, and it would break pretty cleanly along that edge.  Also, they flared out the top of the ankle package to address what you described.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bthompson1286 said:

Thank you very much for the reply.  Would this be a good skate if I have a narrow ankle?   Kind of a narrow foot

Yes with as much heat-moldability as these skates have they would be a good choice.

That said, you're going to have a hard time finding them considering how long it's been since they were discontinued. 

52 minutes ago, bthompson1286 said:

Thank you very much for the reply.  Would this be a good skate if I have a narrow ankle?   Kind of a narrow foot

It depends. If you have too much wrap in the boot after bake, it could be problematic. 

Remember, heat expands. Baking does a better job to push thickness out, not draw it in to make narrower. 

25 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It depends. If you have too much wrap in the boot after bake, it could be problematic. 

Remember, heat expands. Baking does a better job to push thickness out, not draw it in to make narrower. 

Excellent points. I would suggest that if you can get your foot into a Mako pre-bake, it's probably too wide (not for sure, but it might be a warning)

The makos I wear I can get them on without baking, but they are definitely not too wide, if anything they could use to be a bit wider, particularly in the forefoot. 

9 minutes ago, Stewie said:

The makos I wear I can get them on without baking, but they are definitely not too wide, if anything they could use to be a bit wider, particularly in the forefoot. 

I wasn't saying it was an absolute, just a suggestion to look for. Though I'm shocked you could get them on without baking them. I sure couldn't! 

I wore a Mako I on my left foot and a Mako II on my right foot during a pick up game for funsies once. I barely noticed anything.

One bit you might be able to notice is that the Mako II boot feels a lot fuller than the Mako I. In a good way though I think. 

If the skates are sub $400, buy them. 

5 hours ago, getthekidthepuck said:

In Woodstock Ontario the Source for Sport has two pairs of Mako'2s size 7 and 9. They were reasonably priced too. Not sure if they ship.

Really?  Dang, there's nothing in the states.  I just moved into my last pair of back ups and my son is growing out of his last pair.  Will likely be Trues for him before next season, since I haven't been able to find anything other than size 11 or 12 in the states.

19 hours ago, smcgreg said:

Really?  Dang, there's nothing in the states.  I just moved into my last pair of back ups and my son is growing out of his last pair.  Will likely be Trues for him before next season, since I haven't been able to find anything other than size 11 or 12 in the states.

If you want me to look into them shipping or me shipping them to you. It's  only an hour from my house. DM me 

• Like 1