Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Healthyscratch

Step steel for LS edge in the states

I have Edge holders, I want to get Step Steel (black steel) for them. I understand the constraints and why it’s not available in the states. 

With that said, I’m not looking to skate on steel I don’t want to skate on - because of a technicality between two companies. 

What is the best way of getting this steel for my skates? Without driving 6 1/2 hours and paying for a hotel. Which adding gas, turns into a $450+ venture to get two pieces of steel. 

OR 

Is anyone aware of any stores around Niagara, ON or around that area (not as far as Hamilton or Toronto) that sell step steel for LS edge. This is about 4 1/2 hours from me. 

Feel free to PM or respond here, much appreciated. 

Edited by Healthyscratch

Along with what others have stated above, puckstop.com will ship from the UK. I would make that the last resort because they are fairly expensive. There are some Canadian shops that will ship as well.

I got my Step from eBay. It’s fairly common. If eBay wasn’t a viable option I’d probably just get set of LS4 or some Tydan.

5 hours ago, brandonthequick said:

Those aren't for LS Edge holders; those are for the old-school Lightspeed holders. You can find those in most LHS in this country. There are several of our northern neighbors who are LHS owners who don't care about Bauer and Step's quarrel and will gladly ship you a pair, which is how I got mine.

• Like 1

Tydan is great and way fewer delays in shipping product according to my guy here in Vancouver.  My son has been on both and doesn't notice a difference but can tell when the LS4 is in there that it doesn't hold an edge as long.  Several NHL teams have switched solely to Tydan for replacement blades.  Give it a shot.

• Like 1

I've tested STEP, Tydan, Byonic, Massive, Flare, and BladeTech. I would say each of them has pros and cons so it really depends on what you are looking for in your new steel. STEP used to be the best, but others have caught up and in some ways are passing them.

I invested in a company recently that is developing cryogenic quenched steel which is flipping amazing. The big problem, however, is its not at a practical stage yet for production purposes on large scale. I think in a year or so it will be though. 

• Like 1

No need to buy Step anymore, the Tydan is just as good, our customers seem to like it better because the toe metal isn't as bulky as Steps and doesnt require shaving down which many want done to their steps. It's also widely avail. We sell ton's of it and don't have to mess with the bauer patent issue.  LS5 is garbage, the coating is very thin and wears easily. I guess that's why it sells for $100 vs $150 for Tydan and Step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2nd jimmy's take on the new LS5's as far as the coating being thin and wearing easily- sharpened 2 sets now and both seemed to wear thinner using nothing harsher than a chamois to wipe it clean.  On the plus side there was little to no burr and did finish nicely, with the coating at least not interfering with the edges (unlike OEM CCM black/super polished coatings); would not recommend however as not as durable Tydan DLC (or STEP BlackSteel). 

Encouraged by initial trials with Byonic Super Polished (great finishing, light-weight, and holding edge well); hope their Super Black is as nice.  Have yet to work with Massive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmy said:

No need to buy Step anymore, the Tydan is just as good, our customers seem to like it better because the toe metal isn't as bulky as Steps and doesnt require shaving down which many want done to their steps. It's also widely avail. We sell ton's of it and don't have to mess with the bauer patent issue.  LS5 is garbage, the coating is very thin and wears easily. I guess that's why it sells for $100 vs $150 for Tydan and Step.

I find Tydan not as consistent with the stock profile as Step. When asked Jim at Tyden he said that was one thing they have to fix still. I use Tyden still as my back up. Prefer the profile on Step from the get-go for most.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brandonthequick said:

Just got 2 pairs of Tydan black steel for 140..... they have been amazing so far. 

That's a good price. Someone is not selling them at manufacturers pricing. 

Tydan steel looks pretty good from what I've seen of it.  Just not sure the DLC is worthy of the $150 price tag.  As for the LS5 it's too early to see how well it will hold up to heavy game use.  I've been skating on LS3 coated by TS Labs for a few years now and really like it's performance and how well it's held up.