Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dangle_Snipe_19

Junior B or Midget AA

For next season I’m kind of unsure what level to play at.  AAA isn’t an option and neither is Junior A.  I could play Junior A if I’m drafted as an AP from either junior B or MAA.  Your typical thought of junior B is a bunch of goons but around here we have a very skilled team that is one of the best in the province and I think I could make it.  The other option is MAA which is another good, skilled option against kids more my age (16).  Just unsure of which level to play at for next year and looking for advice! Thanks!

I didn't get a chance to play Junior B till my senior year of high school (started out at Junior C and got called up). That was my last year of Juniors and kinda wish I had the chance to age out. Still felt it was worth it because I see the game better than I would have if I had just played Tier II Midgets here down in the States. If you can afford it, I'd go Junior B. Between the travel, workout regiment and overall skill, I always enjoyed my 2 years at Juniors in comparison to my 4 years of travel. 

I'll speak as a Dad and an educator and not a hockey guy...  Unless you REALLY and HONESTLY think you have a shot at professional hockey, you should play in the most age appropriate place and ensure that you have the best educational enviornment available.  In my opinion home schooling and billeting are not best for a child's development.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dangle_Snipe_19 said:

For next season I’m kind of unsure what level to play at.  AAA isn’t an option and neither is Junior A.  I could play Junior A if I’m drafted as an AP from either junior B or MAA.  Your typical thought of junior B is a bunch of goons but around here we have a very skilled team that is one of the best in the province and I think I could make it.  The other option is MAA which is another good, skilled option against kids more my age (16).  Just unsure of which level to play at for next year and looking for advice! Thanks!

You didn't mention what kind of player you are or what you consider your strengths and weaknesses. But, assuming you're like most players who excel at one or two aspects of the game but need to work on one or two other aspects, I think the decision should always be about which of the two choices gives you the best opportunity to work on those weaknesses.

Let's assume you're a skilled forward but haven't really put up point totals to get your noticed as an OHL prospect yet. If moving up to Jr. B means you can play top 6 and get some time on a first or second PP unit, that sounds like a great opportunity. However, if you're going to be a 3rd or 4th liner and see limited minutes and maybe some PK time - you're not going to advance your game that way.

If a year in MAA means you get those top six minutes playing with other skilled players, and are put out there on the PP and in the final minutes when your team is pressing for the tying goal... that's going to be huge for your development. You'll get to experience that game in and game out and learn to carry that responsibility and expectation from your coaches and teammates. But if you've already done that at the MAA level and have nothing left to prove or to learn there, then look to move up against older/faster kids to keep challenging yourself.

Again, I don't know what type of player you are, but these are the kinds of questions you may want to consider when you make this decision. Hockey development is a marathon not a sprint - continue to play at the level that best advances your skillset and game, don't get caught up in jumping up a level too early just because you can - it can result in a lost year of development and slow you down from reaching your goal.

Development is not just about practicing skills during practice time - it's about using those skills with confidence in game scenarios consistently. That's what makes a good player into a great player that teams want to draft. You have to build that reputation one step at a time. It's impossible to build confidence from the bench. You need to be getting ice time during important moments of big games.

colins

• Like 2

I have played AAA from novice to midget.played jr b jr c jr a roller hockey and jr d most fun I had by far was in Jr D without a doubt. Jr hockey is a business and the kids get treated like pieces of meat.

2 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I'll speak as a Dad and an educator and not a hockey guy...  Unless you REALLY and HONESTLY think you have a shot at professional hockey, you should play in the most age appropriate place and ensure that you have the best educational enviornment available.  In my opinion home schooling and billeting are not best for a child's development.   

Totally agree, The OHL tries to represent that they take education seriously but its all a facade.

• Like 3

To me Juniors is more about the money unless there aren't programs you can skate competitively at nearby. If your MAA program is really good and you're traveling to decent tournaments, it's most likely going to be more cost effective to play MAA. If you feel that playing MAA is you walking around people all day and not getting out of your comfort zone, then it may be worth the money to play Juniors. Like others have stated below, go where you can develop the most while still being able to keep up good grades in school. You can still find somewhere to play college/University at even not playing at the Junior level if you really look. Don't get sucked into the marketing scheme just because it's a Juniors team.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:21 PM, Dangle_Snipe_19 said:

I wonder what option he took. That was about year and half ago.