Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Thanos

Bauer Stick Warranty help/question

Hi There,

I recently purchased a Bauer 1N stick that broke within the warranty period.  When I contacted Bauer about starting a warranty claim, they told me that because i purchased the stick on sale, I would not be receiving a replacement of the same stick, but rather that they would only send out a stick that was of the same price that i paid. 

Is this a new policy in place or am I simply misunderstanding the policy on their website?

"Please note that, upon examination of returned stick, if BAUER Hockey determines that there is a manufacturing defect, we will ship the same or equivalent model stick replacement to the address you provide. We must have a full mailing address; we cannot ship to P.O. Box numbers."

I can't help but feel like I'm getting the raw end of the deal here as the stick they're saying I would get back wouldn't be on par performance wise as what i purchased.  Any other time I've dealt with warranties from any other industry, the product replaced has always been replaced with the same or equivalent product.  Downgrading a replacement for a manufacturing failure just feels to be in poor taste to me.

I was placed in contact with a Bauer warranty supervisor who simply re-stated that the new stick would only be equivalent in value to the price I paid rather then the model I purchased. My reference to their own policy was ignored in their response.

Thanks for the help.

No personal experience with Bauer warranties, but I don't interpret "equivalent model stick" as "equivalently priced stick". My understanding is that language is more to cover the situations like you purchase the 2017 model X stick at the end of the season and Bauer only has the 2018 model X stick to send as a replacement.

Unless their policy has more (and potentially contradicting) language, Bauer seems to not be following their stated warranty policy. It does not make them look particularly good...

Edit: If for some reason you paid more than retail, would they give you a higher end stick? Haha

Edited by Davideo
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone else had experience with Bauer's warranty claims or have knowledge of if what I've been told is the way the policy is being enforced? Maybe anyone at the store/retail level?

I think it sucks and if it was me I'd be kicking up an unholy stink. Keep trying to work your way up the cs chain, keep demanding to speak to managers. Go to the BBB and file a complaint, or whatever local jurisdiction / board / governing body that you can use. Small claims court? But then this all takes time and it depends how much you want to put into it. What they publish is what they have to honor, it's part of the contract that was enacted between you and Bauer when you purchased one of their sticks.

Fortunately in my part of the world this kind of bs has largely disappeared, we have various laws that guarantee consumer protection rights and that retailers / manufacturers must honor regardless of what their own warranties may say.

• Like 1

I've never actually made a stick warranty claim as I've never broken a stick within the warranty period. If I had to make one and this happened to me I'd be pissed off. The stick should be replaced with something that offers similar performance in a similar flex and pattern to what you purchased (Hell, I've read stories where some companies are even nice enough to let you request a different flex and curve, but that's above and beyond). Trying to replace a high end clearance model with a current model that offers less performance would really piss me off. I hope you're able to escalate this and get a more appropriate replacement.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:06 PM, Thanos said:

Hi There,

I recently purchased a Bauer 1N stick that broke within the warranty period.  When I contacted Bauer about starting a warranty claim, they told me that because i purchased the stick on sale, I would not be receiving a replacement of the same stick, but rather that they would only send out a stick that was of the same price that i paid. 

Is this a new policy in place or am I simply misunderstanding the policy on their website?

"Please note that, upon examination of returned stick, if BAUER Hockey determines that there is a manufacturing defect, we will ship the same or equivalent model stick replacement to the address you provide. We must have a full mailing address; we cannot ship to P.O. Box numbers."

I don't work for Bauer, but looking at their warranty stick page it also says the following:

"BAUER reserves the right to substitute if the requested model is not available. Please note the one-time replacement stick is not covered under warranty."

Seeing that I would say they are within their discretion of sending you a stick of similar value.  Having worked in hockey retail the majority of broken sticks that I have encountered are not the result of a manufacturing defect.

It's none of Bauer's business what you paid for the stick.  If you purchased it from an authorized retailer, they are obligated to replace it with an equivalent product, (assuming it meets the defect criteria).  Push them to meet their obligation.  The right to substitute does not mean with an inferior product.

• Like 1

This sounds fishy I'd keep calling their warranty claim. I'm in Canada and loaded up on se16's and one95's years ago when sport chek had them on sale for like 119.99.

Needless to say I broke some of them they were all out of production and I received an RS and a Total One. Price shouldn't matter. Bauer warranty states to replace the same level of stick purchased. best believe I'd be making a fuss.

• Like 1

You guys see the manufacturers side of this, right? What’s stopping someone from buying sticks on closeout and deliberately breaking them so they can get the latest and greatest version. Besides that stick lines evolve. A previous years 1N may be close to this year N9000 or even N8000. 

Thst said, I don’t really see an issue with what they did.

Howdy,

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

You guys see the manufacturers side of this, right? What’s stopping someone from buying sticks on closeout and deliberately breaking them so they can get the latest and greatest version. Besides that stick lines evolve. A previous years 1N may be close to this year N9000 or even N8000. 

I think the issue here is more about the expected behavior.  I would also not expect them to replace last year's top end stick with this year's mid level stick, unless that was written somewhere.  "Equivalent replacement", to me, is a stick at a similar specification point in the current line up.  I don't see why someone should be punished for getting a good deal.

If Bauer wants it to be based on what you paid, then Bauer could just send the person the purchase price in cash.  :-)

Anyway, whatever their policy is, it should be clear so expectations are correctly set and consumers can decide whose product they want to buy with that as part of the information they're evaluating.

Mark

• Like 1

Honestly, I’d fully expect them to replace it with something similar based on specs, not price point or model name.

Sticks break, always have. I’m surprised they still offer replacements.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Honestly, I’d fully expect them to replace it with something similar based on specs, not price point or model name.

Sticks break, always have. I’m surprised they still offer replacements.

I completely agree with the bolded part. If you buy a previous top of the line stick on clearance and it breaks within 30 days then they should replace it with stick that has similar specs. If that happens to be something that's a level or two down from the top of the line that's OK as long as the specs and performance are similar.

The problem most are having is the manufacturer suggesting they replace the stick based on price. You can get some former top of the line sticks at very deep discounts when they're closed out. Usually a stick of the current model year around the closeout price would not be the same as far as weight, balance, materials and performance. The people buying closeout sticks wouldn't necessarily drop the same money on a current model price point stick. 

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

That's why I said their obligation under the warranty is to replace it with an equivalent product.  If I manage to find a 1N on clearance for $99, it should not be replaced with an N7000.  An N9000 from the next generation would be an acceptable replacement.

• Like 2

I always recommend going through the shop you purchased the stick from to handle the warranty instead of handling it yourself. My shop replaces the stick on location and then we handle the process of a claim with the manufacturer. This provides the consumer with a stick immediately and it's much easier for us to work with a manufacturer instead of making the consumer do all of the dirty work. 

• Like 1

I assume this is the step before they keep prices as they are or increase them, but quit offering warranty replacements all together.  

I know other companies are gaining in market share, but this move makes it seem like the underside of your sticks are about to say "Warranty: haha, jk, ya burnt. Suck it, we're Bauer, do something about it."

It wouldn’t surprise me to see companies only offer warrenties on current model sticks. 

Manufacturing defects are usually worked out within the first 6 months of production. Sticks produced during that period are likely long gone when they hit closeout. So all you are really doing is protecting against premature breakage.

I honestly wonder if the manufacturers wouldn't be better off producing a much less durable product at a significantly lower price point?  In my days of competitive hockey (80's/90's) I went through about 15-20 wood sticks per season, at about $25 ea.  If a stick broke the first shift I used it, that was just the way it was, I just bought another stick.  I would even buy new sticks just because I felt like a change.  If a $300 stick doesn't last me at least a full season, I'm not happy.  On the other hand, if I was getting top level performance out of a $70 stick that only lasted 15-20 games, I wouldn't mind.  I'd be much more likely to buy a new stick on a whim, to try a different brand, model , flex , pattern etc.

I know nothing of the margins in the stick business, so maybe I'm way off base, but there's a reason stores like Walmart are so successful.  Selling large volumes of low margin goods can be more profitable than selling a few high margin items.

• Like 1

Sorry but that will never happen. The die was cast a long time ago on setting price points, margins and profits in OPS. The vendors have no reason to change now.

14 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

Sorry but that will never happen. The die was cast a long time ago on setting price points, margins and profits in OPS. The vendors have no reason to change now.

Agreed.  I was just thinking out loud about the possibility of a better business model.  Just because the manufacturers chose the current model, doesn't mean it was the most sustainable one.

Weakening the product enough to get down to the 70$ price point and still maintain some margins would be a very bad idea actually imo. It would create inventory nightmares, ramped up production, and all sorts of other issues. There’s people right now that bust 300$ sticks in the first game/month, imagine a weaker stick. Some people would be breaking multiple in a game. 

This is why I like True, the technology they use in A1.0 is based on the same design as the A6.0. Obviously, better materials are used, more of the leftover resins and such are stripped from the more expensive models, and there are other changes as well, but it's still a true one-piece stick. 

This is a joke. True story here...

Ordered a MyBauer 1N (I was drunk). Stick came in and I had a cracked heel 2 weeks (4 games in)... I needed a stick and found a Reebok Ribcor stray on a rack at a tiny shop... bought it for $125.00

The stick took an epic slash that didn’t totally break the stick but it was a fart away from it... I snapped it. Called up CCM Warranty, I asked for a replacement Reebok or 40k if need be. They said no... no as in were sending you a Reckoner not an older model even though you bought this ON SALE and the stick was 3 years old. 4 days later on Christmas Eve I had a new Reckoner at my door from Montreal.

• Like 1

Hi everyone and thanks for all the feedback.

As it turns out I've been stonewalled on both avenues.  I've gone back to the retailer I purchased from (Prohockeylife in Ontario, and tried 2 locations) and they told me that they were following the same policy of "price paid for stick would determine warranty replacement".  When i questioned why that was the case, even the store manager shrugged and said that was the direction he was given from head office (even if he didn't necessarily agree with it).  

I've gone back to Bauer as well and have at this point simply been ignored, with the supervisor choosing not to respond to my last 3 emails any further after just re-iterating her first message.

At this point I'm not even sure what other options I have any more.  I can't help but feel wronged here.  At least whenever I've purchased prostock sticks, I went in eyes open that there was an element of risk built in with no warranty.  

Are there any other options available or have I just found a new stick for my niece to play with or use for the tomato's to grow on?