Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

OK I have a Reebok 11K and the pad that covers the rear adjuster at the back of the helmet has come off. I've used hot glue in the past to re-glue pads like this, mostly with poor end results. I'm hesitant to use hot glue on this pad though specifically because its one of those gel pads. I tried using rubber cement to put it back on and that was a complete fail, didn't even make it through 1 game. 

What do you guys use for re-attaching helmet pads? Any suggestions? I was thinking contact cement, but I've never used it so i don't really know.

Thanks!

OK i've now glued this pad in place twice with the liquid nails and its about to pop off again. I don't expect it will make it through my game tonight. The glue is not adhering to the gel pad itself, it sticks fine to the hard plastic of the helmet piece. Anyone have any other ideas?

You may need to try a primer to adhere to the gel. I'd also look into marine epoxy.  I like it because it's meant for moisture prone areas like a helmet.  I have a Fitlite with the foam layer in the suspend liner completely separated.  I was going to use the marine epoxy to fix it.

And, while I know it seems condescending, make sure you're following the directions for the glue.  Things like contact cement need to be dried before adhering (I'd also apply at least 2 coats to the foam side).  

• Like 1

Just now, psulion22 said:

You may need to try a primer to adhere to the gel. I'd also look into marine epoxy.  I like it because it's meant for moisture prone areas like a helmet.  I have a Fitlite with the foam layer in the suspend liner completely separated.  I was going to use the marine epoxy to fix it.

And, while I know it seems condescending, make sure you're following the directions for the glue.  Things like contact cement need to be dried before adhering (I'd also apply at least 2 coats to the foam side).  

Marine epoxy is an interesting idea.

I've tried both ways that it says you can use it in the instructions. This 2nd time I put glue on both sides, let them sit for about 10 minutes to let them tack up a little and then stuck them together and clamped it down. Both times they had almost a full week to dry (which I've read might not even be enough time with Liquid Nails but that's the longest I have between games). When the glue failed the first time, the gel pad came out completely clean with no glue residue on it at all, and from what I can see now, it looks like its going to do the same thing tonight if/when it falls out.

I will say that the glue of choice for goalies to stick their padding into their helmet is plain old contact cement.  Two layers on the foam side, drying in between them.  Let it dry for 10 minutes.  It's never coming out after that.  Even the old Maltese gel, which was a gel filled plastic sac stuck with contact cement.  You may need to scuff the surface of that pad if the glue is coming off clean.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CRupp13 said:

OK i've now glued this pad in place twice with the liquid nails and its about to pop off again. I don't expect it will make it through my game tonight. The glue is not adhering to the gel pad itself, it sticks fine to the hard plastic of the helmet piece. Anyone have any other ideas?

Use a scotch pad and scuff it up so it gives the adhesive something to grab on to. 

3 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Use a scotch pad and scuff it up so it gives the adhesive something to grab on to. 

34 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

You may need to scuff the surface of that pad if the glue is coming off clean.  

I'm tentative to do too much scuffing to it because its literally just the gel pad. Its the little pad that covers the tensioner at the back on the Reebok 11K. There's no backing on it, just the clear gel pad.

1 hour ago, CRupp13 said:

I'm tentative to do too much scuffing to it because its literally just the gel pad. Its the little pad that covers the tensioner at the back on the Reebok 11K. There's no backing on it, just the clear gel pad.

You could try using a spray adhesive then put some sand/grit in it, this should act like the scuffing without actually wearing at the pad.

I've found very little that I can't fix permanently with 5 minute epoxy.  However, I've got to confess that I'm not very familiar with your helmet's set-up, so I'm not sure if it'll actually work.

On the plus side, if it doesn't work, you've only wasted about 5 minutes AND you get to have some quality time with that lovely mercaptan smell!

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1