Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ParabolicActivity

The new STX Surgeon RX3 gear is out.

23 hours ago, jmiro said:

I got the stallions hpr 1.1.  I got mediums.  They fit good out the box. They are more mobile out the box then my old high end vapors that at broke in.  Biceps could be a little larger.  At the level i play anymore i am more concerned with a random fall than a slash.  That being said the length is perfect.  Volume could be a little more.  I have a "game" tonight.  I'll update this.  That being said I contacted St x regarding my fit concern.  They said they had no problem creating a return slip for me if they didn't fit.  

UPDATE: Super pleased with the preformance.  I gotta say as advertised didn't slip.  Super comfortable and flexible. As far as elbow pads go this is as close as i have flet to wearing nothing.  No pinching or binding. I honestly dig the the sleeve. The bicep strap is a moot point for me with the sleeve.  The sleeve keeps it plenty tight enough up top. I will probably just tack it to the sleeve as it holds some of the pad in place so I don't see cutting it off as an option.

My concern and hesitation with the sleeve design is that it will smell like crazy after 6 months or so of play. I air out my gear regularly and use one of those portable dryers, so my gear just has a slight odor, but the under layers really reek! Despite the anti-odor claims, they smell so bad that, at this point, laundry only makes them smell good for 1 wear. I can't imagine forcing something like that to be sawn onto my gear. Traditional elbow pads without sleeves seem so much easier to maintain.

Edited by BlueNux

1 hour ago, BlueNux said:

My concern and hesitation with the sleeve design is that it will smell like crazy after 6 months or so of play. I air out my gear regularly and use one of those portable dryers, so my gear just has a slight odor, but the under layers really reek! Despite the anti-odor claims, they smell so bad that, at this point, laundry only makes them smell good for 1 wear. I can't imagine forcing something like that to be sawn onto my gear. Traditional elbow pads without sleeves seem so much easier to maintain.

I play a couple times or more a week.  I air my stuff out after each session.  The only peices of my equipment that ever really smelled were my skates.  Didn't start wearing a base layer or socks till about a year ago.  Plus i lost my faculty of smell about 8 or 9 years ago.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:11 AM, jpeaslee said:

Any more thoughts on the shins after wearing them a bit?  I have 2 sets of RBK/JOFA shins that I love but they're just freaking huge and I've loved the rest of the stx stuff I've had and was thinking about pulling the trigger on the RX3 shins.  

Got rid of them for some Vapor 1X on sale. Slightly more volume, even more so in a 16", which the free flex helps with having a longer pad.

Anyways though, they are great pads if you have normal sized calves.

Hi guys, new member here. Just getting back in to hockey at 40 years old. My kid started playing so I've been coaching him and I want to play some beer league as well. All my old stuff was pretty beat up when I threw it in the garage years ago. Needless to say, it hasn't aged very well and now I need to (get to!) buy all new gear. After reading this thread I decided the STX stuff looks amazing for the price so I went nuts buying their RX3 line.

I'll be back soon with thoughts on elbows, shoulders, pants, gloves, and shins. Let me know if there's anything specific you guys want to know about. 

On 2/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, BlueNux said:

Hopefully you aren't washing your gear on hot and drying it. If so, you have damaged the entire anti-microbial properties of the game wear. 

11 hours ago, nicktsigos said:

Anyone have a comparison on the fit of the rx3 pants?

I just got a pair of mediums in. They are definitely more form fitting through the legs than my old Super Tacks and they weigh about a pound less. Lots of good hip and low back protection. The thigh pads have some internal velcro adjustments so you can shift them to your liking. The seat and back of the legs are made out of, basically, a tough mesh material. I suspect it will be very breathable and hope it also stands up to abuse. Anything in particular you want to know?

Edited by JoeJeeps

13 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

If nothing else, the entire line is a fantastic value. I liked the fit of the whole line, so if they fit you well, I think you’ll be happy. 

So far my living room testing is looking good. Everything seems true to size. Each piece of equipment is lighter weight and more breathable than my corresponding CCM and Bauer gear. The shins and gloves are a total win. The fit for me is basically perfect. The pants and shoulders seem to fit well but I've never had anything this form fitting before. I think STX calls it their "anatomical" fit and they aren't kidding. I suspect I'll like how streamline they are, but I need a game or two to be sure. The elbow pads are a question mark right now. They move well enough, but they just don't seem to fit as close as all the other gear. My initial thought is that the center cap is more bulky than I'd like. Maybe with a little break-in period they'll be fine.

Any comparison to vapor, supreme, or QRE.  I’m looklng for a slim style pant and didn’t know how these lined up.   Also, what are your measurements for mediums.  I’m right between sizes.  6 foot, 190, 33 inch waist.  Thanks so much for the help

I can't help you there since my old pants are CCM. I'm 5'10" 170 lbs with a 32" waist. At 6' tall I'd be more concerned about length than the waist. There's only a small (2"?) overlap at the knee with my shin guards.

16 hours ago, nicktsigos said:

Any comparison to vapor, supreme, or QRE.  I’m looklng for a slim style pant and didn’t know how these lined up.   Also, what are your measurements for mediums.  I’m right between sizes.  6 foot, 190, 33 inch waist.  Thanks so much for the help

I think these are slimmer than most any other pant I have used. Definitely slimmer than the QRE and Vapor, and slightly slimmer than the CCM FT1 and Supreme. 

I wear a small in most brands as a medium is too big but int he STX I need to wear a medium. I am 5'11 and 180lbs. 32" waist and 31" inseam. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Small update. I've done some stick and puck and laid back drop in at this point.

The elbow pads were pissing me off. The sides of the center cap were flared out instead of form fitting like I was hoping. With no strap there to pull everything in tight the inside edge was constantly rubbing my pants at the hip (more on that in a second).

Thankfully it was an easy fix. I put a roller hockey ball in the elbow pocket, tightened a couple zip ties around the outside of the pad, and then heated with my wife's blow dryer for 5 minutes. After it cooled overnight I took the zip ties off and now that center portion wraps around my arm perfectly. If you've ever broken in the webbing of a baseball glove by securing a ball in the webbing this is basically the same concept. Works great.

I'm sending the pants back. While they definitely sit close to the body on the inside and through the legs there's a LOT of hip, kidney, and low back protection that sort of flops out up top. In a checking league I'd probably view this as a positive but as an old guy I simply don't need all that. I bet I looked 30 lbs heavier through the midsection with these pants on and they were definitely part of the problem I was having with my elbow pads rubbing. I ended up trying on some Jetspeed FT390 pants last night and while they weigh about the same and offer good protection the upper padding stays in much closer to the body. I think that's the direction I'm going to go.

So far I have the elbows and shoulders (top of line versions) and really like them both as good values. Perfectly happy with elbows, and mostly like the shoulder pads outside of how they rest on my collarbone. Definitely a fan of the line. Looking to try shins next!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zeberq said:

Hello,

I'm on a market for a new stick and gloves. However, I cannot locate that 20% discount code that everybody mentioned couple of pages back.

Is it gone?

Yes, it's gone. Last year they had a huge "end of season" sale in March/April I believe. Wait for a bit and it should pay off.

6 hours ago, Stewie said:

So far I have the elbows and shoulders (top of line versions) and really like them both as good values. Perfectly happy with elbows, and mostly like the shoulder pads outside of how they rest on my collarbone. Definitely a fan of the line. Looking to try shins next!

What's your issue with the collarbone fit? I find it comes up a bit high around my neck, but hoping it will loosen up a bit with use. Elbows, shins, and gloves have been great for me. The pants are the only thing I returned and that's basically personal preference as I just didn't need that level of protection up around my kidney's and back.

7 hours ago, JoeJeeps said:

Yes, it's gone. Last year they had a huge "end of season" sale in March/April I believe. Wait for a bit and it should pay off.

Does the code still work if you got it?  I had it and planned onbuying shins and elbow pads but got laid off for the last three months so everything went on hold.  The STX rep here seems to have gone MIA, I PMd him and havent heard back.

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Does the code still work if you got it?  I had it and planned onbuying shins and elbow pads but got laid off for the last three months so everything went on hold.  The STX rep here seems to have gone MIA, I PMd him and havent heard back.

So the code was unique per subscriber? Not the same one for everyone?

The 20% NEWMEMBER code was generic and expired quite a while ago. They have had other one days codes in the past that are shared on social media and are usually for certain products; so you may want to follow them on social media and watch for sales/codes. 

My current pet peeve is that while it makes sense if they don’t want to get in the youth market, their junior sizes only have M and L, no smalls for elbow pads or shoulder pads.  I would like to try the elbow pads for my son.  Every pair he has irritates him, for some reason he is super sensitive about this.  Maybe the 3pc sleeve design would help.

Sorry for bringing this topic back up. Is anyone using or has tried out the RX3 shoulder pads? Looking at buying them, but wondering about fit and how close it is to the size chart. I'm 6'1, 180lbs, 41" chest, which should place me in a large, but in my past experience that isn't always the case. Anyone have any gripes with them? How long are the biceps? I'm used to them coming down to my elbow pads, but some shoulders I've tried leave a bit of a gap there. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Doug said:

Sorry for bringing this topic back up. Is anyone using or has tried out the RX3 shoulder pads? Looking at buying them, but wondering about fit and how close it is to the size chart. I'm 6'1, 180lbs, 41" chest, which should place me in a large, but in my past experience that isn't always the case. Anyone have any gripes with them? How long are the biceps? I'm used to them coming down to my elbow pads, but some shoulders I've tried leave a bit of a gap there. Thanks!

I really liked the shoulder pads, but there wasn’t a good fit for me as large was a bit too long at 5’8” 210. I think the large should work well for you though. IMO they are a good value 

• Like 1

I have a set and liked how light they were initially.   I'm 5'11" and floating around 200-205.  I felt the need to pull the front down frequently.  Maybe because I dont have a beach body.  Lol.  I disliked the neoprene bicept cuff.  I prefer a traditional velcro one.  I just picked up a set of CCM Tacks 9060 shoulder pads and found them to be a better fit for me personally.  If you're interested I'm looking to sell the STX shoulders.