Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tcc

Feedback on custom skates

Hi Everyone,

I currently have the Bauer 190 skates for almost 3yrs.  They fit quite well but in the last few games I've developed a mild case of lace bite on one foot and there are some hot spots starting to hurt my feet.  I've tried different solutions to remedy the lace bite but it still is ineffective.  Any reason why it's happening now after almost 3yrs with no issues?  

I'm thinking about getting new skates to combat these issues, mainly custom skates (True, Bauer 2s Pro, CCM AS1).  These will probably be my last pair of skates I will need to buy since I shouldn't have to worry about pain issues and durability.

Of the three models which one would be better in terms of fit/comfort and longevity?  Although it would probably make sense to stick with the Bauer's would the other two be better?

tia

You have to take the pressure OFF the tendon for lace bite to heal, not put something else over the top of it. If you want to stay in the boots (which may be unwise given you most likely fail the pencil test for volume) and they give you lace bite then either eyelet extenders or a Forsberg pad, these are the only real effective ways of controlling lace bite (or skate with no laces). Replacing the tongue can help but now that you have lace bite you have to remove the pressure from the tendon.

Your boots are breaking down, the lace bite comes from creases in the tongue over time and the hot spots most likely because the boot is going soft and opening up slightly and this allows your foot to start to roll in it. Now you get excess pressure from the sides of the boot.

Thanks guys for your suggestions and info. 

I tried doing the lacing as per the video below with a little success. But I still felt slight pain. 

As for the pencil test, I actually pass it with adequate space. So most likely the boot is breaking down. 

Of the 3 brands, which custom skate would be the best for resolving these issues? 

Of the 3 brands, which custom skate would be the best for resolving these issues? 

Lace bite is largely due to fit. If you get the proper fit, there shouldn't be an issue...well it's less likely to be a problem.

Not sure you actually need to go custom to solve this issue. Sounds like you'd be fine in a retail Supreme. Maybe a newer version with the improved tongue??

It’s odd that you are getting this after three years, the S190 skate uses Curv composite as per high end skates, which is claimed to be very durable. Perhaps you are wearing them out. Whenever I’ve had mild lace bite, I’ve used a Silipos gel pad on each foot. Wide laces will help, old laces curl up and get thinner. Bauer customs are new, so I’m waiting for owner feedback. 

I purchased the True Custom Skate for my son nearly a year ago and he loves them. They are a bit heavier (365g) per Skate but he said the extra weight is worth it for the comfort. Skates arrived within two weeks of ordering. 

52 minutes ago, Sticktape said:

I purchased the True Custom Skate for my son nearly a year ago and he loves them. They are a bit heavier (365g) per Skate but he said the extra weight is worth it for the comfort. Skates arrived within two weeks of ordering. 

365 grams!? Are you sure about your scale measurement? Perhaps you are referring to the boot only? Also, 2 weeks is usually during the offseason. Right now true skates are taking between 4-6 weeks. 

Edited by Nicholas G

I just rechecked the skate weights without the steel and the True’s are 795g and the Vapor 1x’s are 630 so that’s a difference of 165g per Skate, not 365 like previously stated. 

Agree, ship times could be longer but I was  referring to my experience.. 

Edited by Sticktape

3 hours ago, Leif said:

It’s odd that you are getting this after three years, the S190 skate uses Curv composite as per high end skates, which is claimed to be very durable. Perhaps you are wearing them out. Whenever I’ve had mild lace bite, I’ve used a Silipos gel pad on each foot. Wide laces will help, old laces curl up and get thinner. Bauer customs are new, so I’m waiting for owner feedback. 

I actually have the 190 not last year's s190.  Are they built the same? 

You might have something there in regards to the laces.  I have waxed oval laces which are pretty much like thin ropes now. I'll try changing back to regular wide waxed laces to see if that helps. 

I think my sizing is/was correct since it passes the pencil test and isn't overly loose or tight. I do have a weird right foot with "extra" bones and bumps. The skates felt good when initially baked. So I'm hoping if I go the custom route that it would take care of my weird foot and provide me better comfort and skating experience. 

I’ve tried on the 2s pro and tacks As1 skates. I found the As1 to be more comfortable and stiff; however, you may benefit from the new 2s pro tongue with the moldable inserts and pads as far as lacebite goes. Go try both and walk around for at least 10 minutes with the skates as tight as you can get them. Whichever fits best consider getting custom.

1 hour ago, tcc said:

I actually have the 190 not last year's s190.  Are they built the same? 

You might have something there in regards to the laces.  I have waxed oval laces which are pretty much like thin ropes now. I'll try changing back to regular wide waxed laces to see if that helps. 

I think my sizing is/was correct since it passes the pencil test and isn't overly loose or tight. I do have a weird right foot with "extra" bones and bumps. The skates felt good when initially baked. So I'm hoping if I go the custom route that it would take care of my weird foot and provide me better comfort and skating experience. 

Man, ditch those laces ASAP. Get some Howies unwaxed wide laces. I say unwaxed because they tend to give a little which I have found can help with lace bite.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, tcc said:

Thanks guys for your suggestions and info. 

I tried doing the lacing as per the video below with a little success. But I still felt slight pain. 

As for the pencil test, I actually pass it with adequate space. So most likely the boot is breaking down. 

Well, unless i am missing something, it is because the explanation is bunk.  Whether you go outside in or inside out, the lac pattern is the same, the lace as it crosses your foot has half running to the inside or underside of the eyelet, and on the other side running to the outside, or top of the eyelet.  You are just reversing how you actually do the lacing, kind of inverrting the pattern but the pressure is exerting in a very similar manner.

Could be that the tongue is wearing down/compressing from age, so there's now less "fluff" between the laces and your foot. It's what happened with my skates. And it was made worse because I'm an adult in size 4.5 skates, so I don't pass the pencil test. I addressed the issue by adding a lace bite gel pad and then using a different lacing pattern that I came up with. Instructions with photos below if you're interested in giving it a go.

It a may seem a little convoluted at first but it's fairly straight forward once you understand it. The basic premise of this pattern is to mimic eyelet extenders to relieve pressure from the top of your foot while still pulling the sides of the skates in around your foot. 

Step 1: We mimic eyelet extenders by making lace loops like the pic below.

byTgXxP.jpg

Step 2: We begin lacing up the skates, like normal.

EhqooWR.jpg

Step 3: But instead of threading the laces through the eyelets, we thread them through the loops instead.

6U2zn0O.jpg

Step 3: Continued

5Wjq6Kw.jpg

Step 4: Add another lace loop. This will be your starting point. This is where you slip your foot in and begin tightening and lacing things up. Generally you want to pull everything snug at this point, Don't worry if the skate pulls open a bit. Just tighten as best as you can and make sure you leave those loops open.

Hgo0Ycj.jpg

Step 5: Thread the laces all the way to the top eyelet skipping the second eyelet from the top. You don't pull anything tight here yet. 

kckNtVR.jpg

Step 6: Thread the laces through the loops. Now you pull things tight, and tie as normal. But, I usually go over and under twice before I tie the bow just to make sure things don't slip.

nZVvzJa.jpg

Below is what the tied up skate looks like. For the first little while, I found it a little tricky to get things to cinch up the way I wanted and used a skate tightener to help tweak the tightness, but once I got the hang of it, I could just use my fingers. The one thing I found was that usually need to give the laces another tug and retie the knot after warm up. But otherwise, no lace bite. 

ZD65RxH.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/26/2018 at 7:20 PM, tcc said:

Hi Everyone,

I currently have the Bauer 190 skates for almost 3yrs.  They fit quite well but in the last few games I've developed a mild case of lace bite on one foot and there are some hot spots starting to hurt my feet.  I've tried different solutions to remedy the lace bite but it still is ineffective.  Any reason why it's happening now after almost 3yrs with no issues?  

I'm thinking about getting new skates to combat these issues, mainly custom skates (True, Bauer 2s Pro, CCM AS1).  These will probably be my last pair of skates I will need to buy since I shouldn't have to worry about pain issues and durability.

Of the three models which one would be better in terms of fit/comfort and longevity?  Although it would probably make sense to stick with the Bauer's would the other two be better?

tia

To answer your question I am also in Bauer 190s since they came out.  I don't have any lace bite in them, but my big toe does rub in them.  I use an extra pad while skating to resolve that issue.  I thought about re-baking but I like the fit and feel and don't want to mess that up.  

Enough about me more about your question.  Personally, I think it would be best to stick with Bauer you've been using them for 3 years you're used to the LS Edge holder and it would probably be the easiest transition into new skates.  A friend of mine has full custom FT1 skates and he loves them.  CCM would be my next option the biggest thing to consider when getting CCMs is the SB holder is 4mm compared to the LS Edge which is 3mm.  Will you notice the extra mm?  I don't know maybe? Maybe not? just food for thought.  Lastly True while a lot of people on this board love True skates and I am only speaking from what I have read here.  I have never actually held a pair I am just turned off by a lot of the stuff I have read in the thread about them.  The quality control just isn't there for me and all of the strange baking methods just are another turn off for me.  True lovers, please don't break my thumbs or put my head in a vice, but me personally they just aren't for me.  I personally would go with Bauer because that is what I have been skating in for the last 10 years.  If that wasn't an option CCM next.  I am also one of the lucky people that fit pretty well into a retail Supreme skate so I may never get customs in my life.

Best thing is to go into a shop that offers both Bauer and CCM scans and get scanned see what comes up and try on the retail version of the skate and see which is most comfortable and go from there if you want customs.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stick9 said:

Man, ditch those laces ASAP. Get some Howies unwaxed wide laces. I say unwaxed because they tend to give a little which I have found can help with lace bite.

+1

• Like 1

15 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Could be that the tongue is wearing down/compressing from age, so there's now less "fluff" between the laces and your foot. It's what happened with my skates. And it was made worse because I'm an adult in size 4.5 skates, so I don't pass the pencil test. I addressed the issue by adding a lace bite gel pad and then using a different lacing pattern that I came up with. Instructions with photos below if you're interested in giving it a go.

It a may seem a little convoluted at first but it's fairly straight forward once you understand it. The basic premise of this pattern is to mimic eyelet extenders to relieve pressure from the top of your foot while still pulling the sides of the skates in around your foot. 

Step 1: We mimic eyelet extenders by making lace loops like the pic below.

byTgXxP.jpg

Step 2: We begin lacing up the skates, like normal.

EhqooWR.jpg

Step 3: But instead of threading the laces through the eyelets, we thread them through the loops instead.

6U2zn0O.jpg

Step 3: Continued

5Wjq6Kw.jpg

Step 4: Add another lace loop. This will be your starting point. This is where you slip your foot in and begin tightening and lacing things up. Generally you want to pull everything snug at this point, Don't worry if the skate pulls open a bit. Just tighten as best as you can and make sure you leave those loops open.

Hgo0Ycj.jpg

Step 5: Thread the laces all the way to the top eyelet skipping the second eyelet from the top. You don't pull anything tight here yet. 

kckNtVR.jpg

Step 6: Thread the laces through the loops. Now you pull things tight, and tie as normal. But, I usually go over and under twice before I tie the bow just to make sure things don't slip.

nZVvzJa.jpg

Below is what the tied up skate looks like. For the first little while, I found it a little tricky to get things to cinch up the way I wanted and used a skate tightener to help tweak the tightness, but once I got the hang of it, I could just use my fingers. The one thing I found was that usually need to give the laces another tug and retie the knot after warm up. But otherwise, no lace bite. 

ZD65RxH.jpg

If you have to lace your skates this way you are in the wrong model/type or incorrect size. You should never need to do something like this. When was the last time you say a pro-NHL player doing something like this? Never. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

+1

21 hours ago, stick9 said:

I couldn't see any wide laces.  Are you referring to these? 

https://howieshockeytape.ca/collections/cloth-hockey-skate-laces/products/white-cloth-hockey-skate-laces

48 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

If you have to lace your skates this way you are in the wrong model/type or incorrect size. You should never need to do something like this. When was the last time you say a pro-NHL player doing something like this? Never. 

Never is a long time. Aside from custom skates, there are no propper fitting skates for me. I have size 4.5 feet and I'm a 175lb man. Every model skate I ve tried I fail the pencil test for volume. Supremes fit me length and width perfectly, but I bulge out like a fat lady in tights, so I wear Nexus. I still bulge a bit but in other aspects like heel lock I have to make tweaks to my skates to make them work. 

Pro players don't have to do stuff like this because they have custom skates paid for by their team. I don't know for a fact but I bet there are some unusual tweaks that equipment managers make to some players skates that aren't clearly visible. 

3 hours ago, tcc said:

Yep. 

Minutes before puck drop in the league championship game is the worst possible time to break a hockey skate lace.  Increase your odds of taking the first draw with our thick white cloth skate laces.  Made from a blend of wicking, high-tenacity polyester yarns, our laces last longer.  They are extra burley for amplified comfort.  With our molded tip technology, you’ll never have to thread frayed lace ends through skate eyelets again.

One of the widest laces I have found. 

• Like 2

Went to my LHS and picked up a pair of Howies laces.  Will give them a go this Friday and see if it helps. 👍

I was talking to one of the managers there about the 3 brands I’m looking at (they carry all 3) and I think I’m going to stick with Bauer since that is what I’m used to.  Although I was really into getting the True skates he even mentioned that getting it to fit right is very tedious and time consuming. 

With the “new” eyelets on the 2s pro how durable are they?  On my 190 I’ve had to replace the 2 top ones on both skates.  Also doesn’t/didn’t the 1x/1s/mx3 have the same eyelets which eventually broke?  If they do how would you fix it since it’s not a regular eyelet where you can remove the broken one and pop in a new one.

Edited by tcc
  • Like 1

The new laces helped but I found that I would need to re-tighten my skates every so often which I didn’t have to do with the waxed laces 😞

Any info out there about the new speed plate 2.0 insoles?  I have custom sidas currently and wonder if the new speed plates would be just as good.

12 hours ago, tcc said:

The new laces helped but I found that I would need to re-tighten my skates every so often which I didn’t have to do with the waxed laces 😞

Any info out there about the new speed plate 2.0 insoles?  I have custom sidas currently and wonder if the new speed plates would be just as good.

Just use the Howies waxed laces.  Waxed laces doesn't always = lace bite 

15 hours ago, tcc said:

New SP 2.0 is pretty awesome. I would absolutely check it out.