Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tcc

Feedback on custom skates

8 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

New SP 2.0 is pretty awesome. I would absolutely check it out. 

Great thanks.  Are they the same as superfeet carbon pro insoles or totally different product features?

But do they function the same (cup the heal/support/performance/comfort/etc) or does one out perform the other?  I'm getting mixed info indicating the superfeet enhances your skating but the sp 2.0 just adds support. 

I always viewed SuperFeet as a heel stabilizing footbed with some support that extends to the arch, but not specific arch support for low, mid, or high arches.  Problem with SuperFeet is that the heel cup is going to push your foot higher up in the skate and could mess with heel lock and lead to volume issues because of the space that it takes up.  So if you already fill the skate out the added volume could lead to lace bite.  A lot of retailers push it with every skate purchase since it adds on to the sale.

SpeedPlate 2.0 will support your foot as it is which in theory will provide for better energy transfer.  I really liked the original SpeedPlate and am looking forward to when I transition to the 2.0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a SF user for many years. I tried the original SP and never looked back. I should have the SP 2.0’s in a week or so and I’m pumped to try them. The energy transfer and balance are so good in the SP. 

• Like 1

I agree with mojo122. SF are preformed. Your feet must conform to their shape, and they lift the heel noticeably. I didn’t get on with SF yellow. SP are thin plastic plates that you heat mound to your feet and the skate. Their primary function is to support your arches, and to lock the soles of your feet in place inside the boot. They also increase foot to skate contact via the SP. because they heat mould, they are essentially a custom fit to your feet. IMO Bauer hit the ball out of the park with SP. 

Edited by Leif

Bit the bullet and picked up the 2s pro and you're right the sales rep recommended to have the SF carbon pro insoles. 

But according to a SF rep it doesn't add too much to the volume of the skate 

Sine SF has a 60 day comfort guarantee I'll give them a try.  If it doesn't work I'll have to rebake them and try the SP 2.0. 

Didn't go custom on the 2s pro since the sales rep said my feet weren't too wonky and the extra cost would've been a waste. Although I'm concerned about the injection molded lace holder cracking/breaking like I've seen on other models I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Oh and it surprised me that they were on sale and no one even mentioned it until I got the bill 🙂

1 hour ago, tcc said:

Bit the bullet and picked up the 2s pro and you're right the sales rep recommended to have the SF carbon pro insoles. 

But according to a SF rep it doesn't add too much to the volume of the skate 

Sine SF has a 60 day comfort guarantee I'll give them a try.  If it doesn't work I'll have to rebake them and try the SP 2.0. 

Didn't go custom on the 2s pro since the sales rep said my feet weren't too wonky and the extra cost would've been a waste. Although I'm concerned about the injection molded lace holder cracking/breaking like I've seen on other models I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Oh and it surprised me that they were on sale and no one even mentioned it until I got the bill 🙂

I couldn't wear SF in my FT1s as it would push my heel up too high out of the heel pocket of the skate. If you are borderline for depth in a skate SF doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, Hills said:

I couldn't wear SF in my FT1s as it would push my heel up too high out of the heel pocket of the skate. If you are borderline for depth in a skate SF doesn't help.

I had the same result with an FT1, the Super Feet positioned my ankle too high and was very uncomfortable but with the AS1 I think there is enough play to allow the height difference.

In the FT1 I had to use Speed Plates, and they felt AWESOME. 

Would the pencil test help me in determining if the SF is good or not visually cuz when I tried the skates on pre and post bake it felt fine. But visually I don't know. Or are there other ways to determine this? 

Edited by tcc

On 9/3/2018 at 9:19 PM, tcc said:

The new laces helped but I found that I would need to re-tighten my skates every so often which I didn’t have to do with the waxed laces 😞

Any info out there about the new speed plate 2.0 insoles?  I have custom sidas currently and wonder if the new speed plates would be just as good.

If you have custom insoles, the SP's are not going to be as good. There's no better option than custom insoles, period.

1 minute ago, darkhors said:

If you have custom insoles, the SP's are not going to be as good. There's no better option than custom insoles, period.

The best way that happens is if the custom skates are made to accommodate the insoles.  If not, there are cases in which what happens with SF for some people happens.

1 minute ago, JR Boucicaut said:

The best way that happens is if the custom skates are made to accommodate the insoles.  If not, there are cases in which what happens with SF for some people happens.

I lost you on the second part. What is SF?

Yeah, I figured it out right after I replied 🙂

Yes, if you can't have your skates fitted to your insoles, there are other custom insole options that will fit your skate. Fastech Labs in Troy does them and they are outstanding. They fit them to the same length and width of your skate so you know they will fit properly into the boot. The biggest downside to these are cost, but at $150 it's money well spent. Depending on how much you skate, you could get upwards of 3-4 years on one pair. Not to mention that you can get them in about 30-40 minutes start to finish. They have places all over the country that do them, but you have to contact them to see who does them in your state.

1 hour ago, darkhors said:

Yeah, I figured it out right after I replied 🙂

Yes, if you can't have your skates fitted to your insoles, there are other custom insole options that will fit your skate. Fastech Labs in Troy does them and they are outstanding. They fit them to the same length and width of your skate so you know they will fit properly into the boot. The biggest downside to these are cost, but at $150 it's money well spent. Depending on how much you skate, you could get upwards of 3-4 years on one pair. Not to mention that you can get them in about 30-40 minutes start to finish. They have places all over the country that do them, but you have to contact them to see who does them in your state.

Too bad they don't have one here 😞

1 hour ago, tcc said:

Would the pencil test help me in determining if the SF is good or not visually cuz when I tried the skates on pre and post bake it felt fine. But visually I don't know. Or are there other ways to determine this? 

I was watching a player get scanned today and one thing I think that's interesting regarding the Bauer scan method, it doesn't account for putting your foot in the proper position. Why would they have a player stand completely straight, not be in a hockey stance, and not have their weight shifted appropriately?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I was watching a player get scanned today and one thing I think that's interesting regarding the Bauer scan method, it doesn't account for putting your foot in the proper position. Why would they have a player stand completely straight, not be in a hockey stance, and not have their weight shifted appropriately?

I was told to bend my knees and lean slightly forward when I was scanned.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JSK81 said:

I was told to bend my knees and lean slightly forward when I was scanned.

+1. 

A coach I work with was scanned for 'custom' Bauers last week.  He indicated the same - knee bend with a slight forward lean.  He also said it felt 'kinda awkward'.  

I then demonstrated the position I was required to hold for my True scan and he remarked, "well, that makes a little more sense..."

That said, I have heard (anecdotally, to be sure) good reports from people who've purchased custom Bauers, so maybe it'll work out fine....

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

But that's not even remotely close to a hockey position.... 

True skates have a different rake than Bauer and CCM skates, hence the aggressive stance during measurements.

Bauer skates pre-scan had you sit and have your knees at 90°, essentially a semi-weighted position. Since you are now standing, a slight knee bend gets to that.

CCM uses the pedestal for their scan.  All 3 measurement stances work for their respective brands.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

True skates have a different rake than Bauer and CCM skates, hence the aggressive stance during measurements.

Bauer skates pre-scan had you sit and have your knees at 90°, essentially a semi-weighted position. Since you are now standing, a slight knee bend gets to that.

CCM uses the pedestal for their scan.  All 3 measurement stances work for their respective brands.

Yeah...I mean, Bauer and CCM may both be new to the 'retail custom skate' game; but it's not like they're new to custom skates.  Both make hundreds of pairs of custom skates per year for pro players, so they're not exactly jumping into uncharted waters, here. 

It makes sense that each manufacturer has settled on a scan method that works for their particular skate geometry.  If they hadn't, no pros would use them....

12 hours ago, tcc said:

Doubt the goal of the MyBauer custom skate program was/is to address players who only have "wonky" feet.  The majority of skaters have different sized feet and sometimes different widths.  If done correctly using retail fit stock the MyBauer program allows the customer to dial in the fit to what they want.  For example, right foot scans a 7.5 and left a 7.  But in retail skates the 7.5 is too big on the right and a 7 is too small.  Now you have the option to 7.25 on the right and can adjust the left as well. Along with getting a more precise fit lengthwise you'll also get true width sizing based of the foot scan and 3D print.  It also affords you a choice of tongues, liner, and steel.  

As for issues with the injected lacing system the times I have seen it was from a bad fit where someone who should have been in a size 7 was wearing a skate way too big (1 1/2 to 2 sizes too big).  The break most likely resulted from cranking the laces so tight to try to get their foot from feeling so loose.

I've had injected lacing for the past 5 years and haven't had any issues.  I prefer that over traditional facing and eyelets as I feel it performs better over the life of the skate.

10 hours ago, tcc said:

My opinion and some will disagree is that the pencil test isn't the absolute indicator as to whether a skate will or won't work for you volume wise.  I'm not knocking it but I know a fairly large number of elite skaters that fail the pencil test but have no issues.  The best answer to your question is with the SF in are you experiencing a lot of pressure on the top of your foot?  If you aren't, then you're probably going to okay with the SF.  If you are, you may still be okay but my concern would be that over time you may have issues with lace bite.

• Like 1