Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Bauer 2S VS BAUER 2S PRO

I have a customer is wanting to place an order for a new set of Bauer Supreme skates and is looking at the 2S and the 2S Pro models. Despite some minor cosmetics, the tongue, eyelet system, and other little changes, such as the steel, is the boot essentially the same between the two? We do carry very much Bauer in stock so I cannot compare in person. I figure I would ask others who might have access to them to analyze.

I don’t work at a hockey shop but I’ve tried on both skates. The features missing from the 2s pro are minor. The most noticeable are the speed plate 2.0s (which you can buy seperate for $50) and LS5 steel (which you can buy for $110) Other than that the 2s is missing ankle comfort padding, adjustable flex tendon guard and the new tongue (which I didn’t like personally). The skate has the same boot, outsole and liner construction. They even weigh the same—810 grams in size 9D according to ice warehouse. 

I’d recommend buying the 2s skates, LS5 steel, and Speedplates separately. It would cost like $760 so $140 less than 2s pros and they’ll have a extra set of steel. 

Edited by Novotnoa

The 2S Pro is noticeably stiffer than the 2S. The 2S composite is very similar to the S180 from last generation if you squeeze them both, while the 2S Pro Carbon Curv is like the 1S/S190. It is also worth noting that the 2S is not entirely composite. The midsole is actually just nylon. If you remove the insole, you'll see it. 2S Pro is composite throughout.

The 2S is a pretty mediocre deal. The way to think about it is like this:

Out of the $300 difference, $90 of it is a fair value representation of the Speed Plates ($50) and LS5 runners ($110 LS5 vs. $70 LS3). That means the remaining $210 can be attributed to upgrading the Curv stiffness (a reasonable price difference for equivalent jump in stiffness to other models' high-end skates) and getting composite midsole.

All the other stuff can be considered "free" upgrades (vented vs non-vented outsole, adjustable vs non-adj flex tendon guard, new tongue, new eyelets, ankle comfort padding, etc.).

This isn't to say the 2S Pro is a good deal, but just that the 2S is a poor one. They should have at least given the 2S a vented outsole and ankle comfort padding. These are all standard features in other skate models in lower price points.

For me, I really didn't like the eyelets and tongue of the 2S Pro, and didn't need anything from the 2S Pro upgrades enough to warrant paying the difference. If it wasn't for the fact that the new Supremes fit me better than any other line of skates, I would have definitely bought something else.

• Like 4

I guess it depends on how much you weigh to a certain point. I didn’t even notice the difference in stiffness while trying them on, but I didn’t squeeze them and I’m only 160lbs. The guy told me they were both Curv composite so I figured they were the same. 

11 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I have a customer is wanting to place an order for a new set of Bauer Supreme skates and is looking at the 2S and the 2S Pro models. Despite some minor cosmetics, the tongue, eyelet system, and other little changes, such as the steel, is the boot essentially the same between the two? We do carry very much Bauer in stock so I cannot compare in person. I figure I would ask others who might have access to them to analyze.

For 2018 Bauer condensed the new Supreme skate line from 7 models to 5.  I'd say the 2S skate is more like an upgraded S180 (replaced the TPU outsole with a composite one; liner and tongue that is very similar to the ones found on the Vapor X900; LS3 steel replacing LS2;and the addition of wear pads on the liner).  Gone from last year are the S190 and S140.  For the extra $100 the 2S is a great value considering the upgrades.

Carbon CURV looks like an entirely new version of CURV.  Has a nice look and 3D feel to it.  

Overall Bauer did a great job with the new skate line.  But to be fair and honest, CCM did some nice things with their Tacks line this year too.

This is what I miss from not having the product catalogs and @JR Boucicautcatalog reviews.  Without them folks are left to guess what's new for this year. and are left trying to guess at it.  I think it's a loss for the manufacturers in this regard.

• Like 7

FWIW, I really like the injected lacing and tongue on the 2017 1X, both are similar to whats offered in the 2S Pro. The lacing is definitely one of those things you have to experience to appreciate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

This is what I miss from not having the product catalogs and @JR Boucicautcatalog reviews.  Without them folks are left to guess what's new for this year. and are left trying to guess at it.  I think it's a loss for the manufacturers in this regard.

I really miss them too. It  was really informative. 

• Like 1

I've just started wearing the 2S Pros and they're so much stiffer than my previously pair, which were 180s. I find the lacing system is awesome, however, the tongue is too thick and i find that it isn't all that comfortable, even after baking. In my opinion, the LS5 steel is the biggest difference/improvement, but as mentioned above, you need to actually skate in them to feel the difference. 

4 hours ago, ggmunsen said:

I've just started wearing the 2S Pros and they're so much stiffer than my previously pair, which were 180s. I find the lacing system is awesome, however, the tongue is too thick and i find that it isn't all that comfortable, even after baking. In my opinion, the LS5 steel is the biggest difference/improvement, but as mentioned above, you need to actually skate in them to feel the difference. 

How did you find the difference in fit? I found the new Supreme skates to be more snug throughout the skate, but especially near the back arches, heel and ankles. The previous generation Supremes fit very similarly to the current Jetspeeds to me (excluding the FT1). Bauer said they thickened up the interior padding, as well as the wrap shape a bit.

I also found the tongue to be too thick. Maybe it's something you'll get used to, but, for me, it felt bulky. I think it's supposed to help push your foot back on each stride, but perhaps it makes every stride/ankle bend a tad more laborious.

14 hours ago, BlueNux said:

How did you find the difference in fit? I found the new Supreme skates to be more snug throughout the skate, but especially near the back arches, heel and ankles.  Bauer said they thickened up the interior padding, as well as the wrap shape a bit.

The quarter package is offset with the inner shifted a bit forward to accommodate the natural position of the ankle.  That's part of the snugness one experiences out of the box.  The fit is very similar to the 1S once baked.  Like anyone who transitioned from the MX3 tongue to the 1S, going from the 1S to the 2S Pro might take some time to break in and get it to where you want it to be. 

While the 2S Pro tongue is somewhat similar to the 2017 1X, it does feel thicker.  Not sure if it really is or whether that's just the impression I have of it.  I would think they both use 52 ounce felt construction.

16 hours ago, BlueNux said:

How did you find the difference in fit? I found the new Supreme skates to be more snug throughout the skate, but especially near the back arches, heel and ankles. The previous generation Supremes fit very similarly to the current Jetspeeds to me (excluding the FT1). Bauer said they thickened up the interior padding, as well as the wrap shape a bit.

I also found the tongue to be too thick. Maybe it's something you'll get used to, but, for me, it felt bulky. I think it's supposed to help push your foot back on each stride, but perhaps it makes every stride/ankle bend a tad more laborious.

I actually find that i have a bit more room in the toe box, but the ankle and wrap is much more snug, which I like. I agree that the padding definitely appears and feels to be beefed up. 

I even took my heat gun to the inner side of the tongue after baking. Tried to press out some pressure points I was feeling on the top of the foot. However, when hot it was totally mold-able, but once cooled and set again I experienced the same feeling. I think more time on the ice will help, but if it keeps being this stiff I may look at getting another tongue as a modification. 

On 8/28/2018 at 5:49 PM, Bizz22 said:

The 2S pro also has the Carbon Curve composite shell vs the regular Curve composite shell that is on the 2S

I wonder how this translates into a stiffness rating? If anything, the player prefers a more flexible boot.

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I wonder how this translates into a stiffness rating? If anything, the player prefers a more flexible boot.

With that in mind, I would definitely go with the 2S over the pro.

• Like 1

Was anyone else confused by the names on these? I feel like the "pro" nomenclature is usually attached to the 2nd tier equipment, or SMUs that are a mix of flagship and 2nd tier. 

This thread is the first time I've read about the skates, and I struggled figuring out which was which. Haha.  

With Bauer, it was always a reflection on what you would actually see at pro, and would come at higher pricing (ie. Vapor gloves.)

The other view is Warrior’s take, which is the thought of high performance/less fluff, coming off as better value.