Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Warrior Alpha helmets

3 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I think it's the shape that is throwing it off (the flat crown.)

We got a ton of them in and while I love the feel of them, very Easton E700 like, it feels like I have a huge floppy bucket on my head. lol

Yes, it’s mostly the shape I think. Fits my head great (pro model) and feels amazing so I’m totally happy, but Im probably going to not score many points on the runway

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

We got a ton of them in and while I love the feel of them, very Easton E700 like, it feels like I have a huge floppy bucket on my head. lol

Are they close in weight to the E700?

Tried on the Alpha helmet and the fit was great, the BOA system does seem to give a 360 degree fit, but I thought the helmet was pretty heavy. I wear an old ass E700 and my kids wear Bauer ReAkt and the Alpha is nowhere near as light as E700 (obviously) while still significantly heavier than the original ReAkt. Perhaps it was the steel cage that came with the Alpha vs the ReAkt titanium cage but too heavy for my taste. I don't really care how I look in hockey gear so the style of the Alpha doesn't matter to me but it does feel big on my head...

I would imagine the steel cage is definitely heavier than a titanium reakt (or a titanium ccm fitlite like I wear with my E700). It wasn't available to try on as a helmet only without the cage?

I thought maybe there was a chance it would come close to the E700 weight since it's also a one piece helmet, but I'm guessing they added more padding to make it more protective and do better on the Virginia Tech test. I know that test is controversial here and I don't think it's an ideal test myself, however; some people do take stock in it so I do think manufacturers are trying to build helmets that will score well on that test. I don't know this for sure, but that's my hypothesis. 

The BOA system is definitely nice. It seems similar to the dial system on the CCM Fitlite 3DS and I like that as well. 

• Like 1

I picked up an Alpha Pro during a sale last week. I haven't worn it yet and it still has the tags on it, but I did weigh it and also weighed an E700 of the same size (both Large). The L Alpha Pro with tags weighs 578 grams. The E700 (without a cage, but with the J hooks on) weighs 377grams. So it's basically a 200 gram difference. In your hand, you can really notice the difference; on your head it's a minor difference.

My general thoughts from only trying it on and wearing it around my condo for a bit is that the BOA system is nice and it appears to have good ventilation. I still feel a bit more comfortable in my E700 helmets, but it's close. As far as looks go, it looks a bit taller than the E700 at the front, but is more streamlined at the top/rear. The E700 gets taller at the back, but the Alpha One stays about the same height from front to back. The Alpha Pro is a little more svelt than the Alpha One from looking at them in the store (it's also over $100 less). 

I didn't really need a new helmet as I have a stockpile of E700 helmets, but my white E700 was cracked by a slap shot in the head (taken from center ice by a guy subbing for my team when I was near the blue line about a foot from the boards with about a second left in the game...it was a one goal game and I get that he was trying to tie it up, but his shot was way off target and it was a beer league game. I wasn't thrilled) the second time I wore it. Thankfully, it protected me well, but my stockpile only includes one red and several black E700s. That was my only white E700 and I couldn't find another large white E700. The CCM Fitlite 3DS and the Alpha helmets felt the most comfortable for my head in the store and I liked the idea of both the BOA and one piece helmet; so I went with the Alpha Pro. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The E700 will forever have a place in my heart, even with the terrible padding which falls apart. 

Agreed. Hopefully the removeable padding in the Alpha helmet holds up better.

I did wear the Alpha Pro in a game on Friday and it was comfortable. Even though it's not as light as the E700, I didn't notice a big difference during the game (I can definitely tell when it's in my hand before or after the game though). A large CCM Fitlite Titanium cage fits on both the E700 and Alpha Pro as I have the same cage on both helmets. 

• Like 1

Anyone have more input on the Alpha Pro?

It's time for a new helmet.  I wear a CCM Fitlite, which fits me great and I'm very happy with.  I like the weight and size.  But the liner is falling out.  I've glued it back in but it's coming loose again, so it's time.  Seeing as this is the second of this line that this happened to, with like 3 Reebok 8Ks before that, I'm thinking I should switch from that line if I don't want this to keep happening.  These helmets look pretty interesting.  I like the one piece concept, and BOA systems are fantastic so I'm sure it will give a good fit.  I'd also consider the Alpha One, but since fit is the most important thing, I think the smaller shell size will be better for my head shape.  The removable liner is a bonus.

So how are these things?  Does the BOA give them a good fit for just about anyone?  The Fitlite/8K line fits me well, as opposed to the Re-Akt line which is too wide on the sides and deep.  Is the One much better or different than the Pro?  I'm also considering something in the Fitlite line, but the 3DS doesn't fit my head right, I'm concerned about the weight and fit of the FL500, which really leaves the FL90.  

My LHS doesn't carry any of these (except the 3DS) so I have to rely on reviews and input from others to try and make a decision.  Thanks.

42 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

It's time for a new helmet.  I wear a CCM Fitlite, which fits me great and I'm very happy with.  I like the weight and size.  But the liner is falling out.  I've glued it back in but it's coming loose again, so it's time.  Seeing as this is the second of this line that this happened to, with like 3 Reebok 8Ks before that, I'm thinking I should switch from that line if I don't want this to keep happening.  These helmets look pretty interesting.  I like the one piece concept, and BOA systems are fantastic so I'm sure it will give a good fit.  I'd also consider the Alpha One, but since fit is the most important thing, I think the smaller shell size will be better for my head shape.  The removable liner is a bonus.

So how are these things?  Does the BOA give them a good fit for just about anyone?  The Fitlite/8K line fits me well, as opposed to the Re-Akt line which is too wide on the sides and deep.  Is the One much better or different than the Pro?  I'm also considering something in the Fitlite line, but the 3DS doesn't fit my head right, I'm concerned about the weight and fit of the FL500, which really leaves the FL90.  

My LHS doesn't carry any of these (except the 3DS) so I have to rely on reviews and input from others to try and make a decision.  Thanks.

I had both the Alpha One and the Pro and have been MUCH happier with the Pro. It fits better and is lower profile. I previously used the E700 and CCM Fitlite 2016 and the CCM Fitlite 90. Overall, its an excellent helmet. 

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

Teardown's being wrapped up; I'll have it up really soon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I had both the Alpha One and the Pro and have been MUCH happier with the Pro. It fits better and is lower profile. I previously used the E700 and CCM Fitlite 2016 and the CCM Fitlite 90. Overall, its an excellent helmet. 

Define "lower profile."

The shells are the exact same.  What I think you mean is that the Pro possibly fits deeper as there's less components in it than the Alpha One?

55 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Define "lower profile."

The shells are the exact same.  What I think you mean is that the Pro possibly fits deeper as there's less components in it than the Alpha One?

I believe you, since you know what you're talking about and have actually torn this down, but on IW's review Jared from Warrior says the outer size of shell on the Pro is smaller because there is less foam inside.  That's part of the reason I was leaning towards the Pro.  If the shells are, in fact, the same and there's less padding making the Pro fit deeper, I will likely need the One then.  I have a short forehead and need helmets that have a shorter crown and more shallow fit.  The Fitlite line fits me better than a Re-Akt, Re-Akt 100, and M11 because it's shallower.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

I stand corrected; tore down both helmets (I have a M One and a L Pro) and both shells are M.

Was able to put the Pro foam into the One shell.   I can't wear the L One.

Thank you for the clarification!