Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Yzerman stepping down

I am going full on NHL/League/Bettman Conspiracy theory here...Wings have new Arena and need a rebuild while putting fans in the seats, along with a figurehead for the franchise. Bettman offers Stevie Y. a chance to go back home and the ping pong balls fall into place for Jack Hughes, boom done deal.

He has apparently pledged to finish out the tenure of his contract as a "special advisor" to the Lightning. It doesn't take a conspiracy to imagine him taking on a role with the Red Wings once his contract with the Lightning expires. I'm sure he'd like a hand in returning his old team back to its former glory.

1 hour ago, the_game said:

I am going full on NHL/League/Bettman Conspiracy theory here...Wings have new Arena and need a rebuild while putting fans in the seats, along with a figurehead for the franchise. Bettman offers Stevie Y. a chance to go back home and the ping pong balls fall into place for Jack Hughes, boom done deal.

That all makes sense even without the Bettman involvement. 

You don't build a team by hand, be on the doorstep of the Cup,.....and walk out with one year remaining on your contract.  There's clearly a piece of thee puzzle missing. Yzerman has been here in Tampa as GM since 2010, but his wife and daughters have remained in MI. Maybe he needed a personal break to attend to the family.

Edited by clarkiestooth

9 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Clearly there is a personal side to why he is shifting to a diminished role with the Lightning.

……..Or he has been offered a piece of the expansion Seattle franchise.

I saw some speculative tweets from Brian Compton and Joe Smith, both of which have worked closely with NHL franchises (Smith covers the Lightning for the Athletic now) that the move was because he wanted to spend time with family more, as his wife was back in Michigan and his daughters were all in college; which required a lot of travel on his end.

Edited by Jamarquan

5 hours ago, the_game said:

lol.............some guys have all the luck.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Detroit next year and by some luck, they win the lottery for Jack Hughes. 🤔