Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Neo5370

Still Possible to Get Pro-Tec Toe in 2018?

Picked up a pair new old stock bauer comp 5000 skates and want to keep the toe in good shape.  Tried googling but found nothing.  Is there anything I can use as an alternative?

Googled and don't see it as well.  Used to use it on my skates as well.  I can't imagine it is anything more than a black tinted existing product.  It's not like Bauer had a staff of chemical engineers develop the product.  Tinted polyurathane?

• Thanks 1

Nice find, JR. I've bought from this vendor before so I can vouch that he/she is a good seller. They seem to get their hands on all kinds of closeout gear and oddball stuff that you can't find anywhere else.

• Like 2

A&R use to sell that, called Toe Pro. You may contact them to see if they have any old stock.  Also, try Max-Performance Sports in Vancouver Canada.  If you can't find any, I have in the store some old 2 part rubber paint that's very similar, was meant to paint stick blades, same tough rubber as pro tek toe and would work on toe caps.

Edited by jimmy
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Neo5370 said:

Picked up a pair new old stock bauer comp 5000 skates and want to keep the toe in good shape.  Tried googling but found nothing.  Is there anything I can use as an alternative?

I happen to have a can of ProGuard's Toe Protection that still "sounds" like it should be good...don't recall ever using this and not sure why I still have it but you're welcome to it if you want. 

• Thanks 1

Are you in Canada?  Any dealer that has an account with Nash can order in Toe Pro for you.  It's still featured in their 2018 catalog.

No idea if it's still available, but I have very fond memories of protectoe application as a key component of the new skate buying ritual back in the day.  As JR says, I'm not sure how well it ever worked, but putting it on your skates seemed like the responsible thing to do.  The first time I bought Grafs, I remember being disappointed that the toe caps couldn't be treated.

To clarify: was talking about the ProGuard product in terms of effectiveness. Their version was rubbery and didn’t adhere to the boot well. 

The Pro-tec-toe that Bauer sold worked well. 

• Like 1