Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
2nhockey

Stick and Flex

My favorite stick is my True 5.2 in a 75 flex. My back up stick is an old Easton in 85 flex.

My 75 flex True flexes too easily. I have a lot of trouble getting a good flex with my 85 flex Easton. So apparently I need something in between. 

What would you recommend?

You need an 85 Flex A5.2.

In general I find True's flex ratings for the A5.2 series to be able 10 lower than equivalent Bauer (Nexus 1N) or CCM (Super Tacks 2.0). So a 75 True A5.2 plays like a 65 CCM/Bauer and the 85 True plays like a 75 CCM/Bauer. This is true for the original SBP series, I haven't tried the 2018 version yet.

The 85 Flex A5.2 feels very similar to a 75 Flex Bauer Nexus 1N at the same length when I've compared them on the ice side by side. It won't feel as stiff as an 85 Flex Easton.

colins

• Like 1

No no and no. 75 flex true being equivalent to 65 in whatever else is false. There are more factors to take into consideration that aren’t just flex. 

-How old is the stick? How much has it been used? Flex ratings don’t stay the same throughout the life of a stick and some sticks noodle out faster than others 

-kick point. Some sticks don’t FEEL like they’re getting flexed out because it’s a different kick point than the compared stick. You can’t just say “Easton 85” and have someone that actually knows what they’re talking about give you advice. Some sticks do play stiffer or softer but tagging the entire brand is a mistake 

Bauer 87 flex 1S sticks aren’t going to be as easy to load as a 1X and a 1N.

most of all how much do you cut off your sticks? Flex free zone is BS, period... 

• Like 1

I would agree partly with colins, A-series sticks seem to "feel" a little lower flex than some other brands in the same flex (i.e. 85 flex A-series feels closer to an 80 flex). If you're comparing two different kick points then it's much harder to figure out, but as a rule of thumb, I would go up in flex (slightly) than what I normally play for the A-series and the X-core plays more true to what I would expect. I've played Vapors, QRL's, Nexus' and Supreme's and True's. YRMV

On 9/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, colins said:

You need an 85 Flex A5.2.

This.  Simple answer without getting into the craziness of different brands, flex points, etc, etc. and making it overly complicated.  If you like the A5.2 in 75, but it's too "whippy", just go up the next flex rating in that same line.

27 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

This.  Simple answer without getting into the craziness of different brands, flex points, etc, etc. and making it overly complicated.  If you like the A5.2 in 75, but it's too "whippy", just go up the next flex rating in that same line.

Makes sense to me. 

24 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Yes the only flaw I read in his thought process was that 85 Flex A5.2 would be too stiff because he finds his Easton 85 stiff. That's all I was trying to point out in the end.

My son loved loved loved his 75 Flex Bauer 1N sticks. When they ran out and couldn't get another he tried a 75 Flex A5.2 and found it too whippy. He went up to the 85 A5.2 (all his Bauer and CCM sticks prior had been 75 flex) and found it just right.

I'm using a 75 Flex A5.2 now myself and find it whippy, which suits me fine for beer league. Slapshots and one timers I prefer a stiffer stick, but the 75 is good for snapshots and has a good feel overall.

colins

1 minute ago, colins said:

Yes the only flaw I read in his thought process was that 85 Flex A5.2 would be too stiff because he finds his Easton 85 stiff. That's all I was trying to point out in the end.

My son loved loved loved his 75 Flex Bauer 1N sticks. When they ran out and couldn't get another he tried a 75 Flex A5.2 and found it too whippy. He went up to the 85 A5.2 (all his Bauer and CCM sticks prior had been 75 flex) and found it just right.

I'm using a 75 Flex A5.2 now myself and find it whippy, which suits me fine for beer league. Slapshots and one timers I prefer a stiffer stick, but the 75 is good for snapshots and has a good feel overall.

colins

I haven't taken a slapshot in years so I wouldn't even know whats a good stick for that 😉 

37 minutes ago, colins said:

colins

Because they are two totally different kick points. 

4 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Because they are two totally different kick points. 

I'm not sure I buy into this personally.

Nexus and Tacks are usually described as mid flex, and True's Smart Flex is not really marketed as low-kick, if anything it seems to be 'variable' flex whatever that is. Marketing more than anything I guess.

All I know is if you like the feel of a 75 Flex Nexus 1N or CCM Tacks 2.0, chances are you'll prefer an 85 Flex True A5.2 over a 75 Flex True A5.2.

The True feels/plays about a 10 flex rating lower than Bauer/CCM for these particular models. This is based only on my own personal experience with the sticks I've used and feedback from my two sons who have also used them.

Missing from photo - the 2 A5.2 75 Flex my youngest had at his practice tonight when I took the pic, and the 4 True A5.2 85 Flex, 1 75 Flex Bauer 2N and 1 75 Flex prostock Curry my oldest has with him playing Jr. A).

KckI6Yo.png

colins

Edited by colins

17 minutes ago, colins said:

I'm not sure I buy into personally.

Nexus and Tacks are usually described as mid flex, and True's Smart Flex is not really marketed as low-kick, if anything it seems to be 'variable' flex whatever that is. Marketing more than anything I guess.

All I know is if you like the feel of a 75 Flex Nexus 1N or CCM Tacks 2.0, chances are you'll prefer an 85 Flex True A5.2 over a 75 Flex True A5.2.

The True feels/plays about a 10 flex rating lower than Bauer/CCM for these particular models. This is based only on my own personal experience with the sticks I've used and feedback from my two sons who have also used them.

Missing from photo - the 2 A5.2 75 Flex my youngest had at his practice tonight when I took the pic, and the 4 True A5.2 85 Flex, 1 75 Flex Bauer 2N and 1 75 Flex prostock Curry my oldest has with him playing Jr. A).

KckI6Yo.png

colins

As a former ACHA and NCAA equipment manager I stand by my statements from personal experience and the experience of those that I helped put into certain sticks and not others.

16 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

As a former ACHA and NCAA equipment manager I stand by my statements from personal experience and the experience of those that I helped put into certain sticks and not others.

Appreciate your experience and not trying to take anything away from that. Have you used the A5.2 SBP in 75 and 85 Flex?

colins