Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

The Prosharp Project

Awesome!  Looking forward to following this - I've been toying with the idea of starting a mobile skate profiling/sharpening business here in Southern California and have been in contact with Shayne at ProSharp about this exact machine.  Can't wait to see how this all comes together!

• Like 1

Howdy,

Super cool.  I couldn't wait and ended up getting a Zuperior profile on my skates which has been working out decently, but would still be up to try this out to see if stuff could be even better.

Mark

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CigarScott said:

Nice! Your doggies are precious, btw.

Thanks!  We rescued Charlotte around Christmas last year.  She's a year old now.

We have had a lot of issues with her, namely her peeing uncontrollably.  We took her to the vet and apparently she's had a raging UTI.  She finished her antibiotics a few days ago and goes for her follow-up today; she has changed quite a bit in that short period of time.  Until last month, there was no way I could let her go leash-less in the front yard - I had to chase her a mile away barefoot with 5" of snow on the ground earlier this year as she would just bolt.

Super cool.  Looking forward to participating - particularly given my interest in an AS 2001 as part of a potential business opportunity.

A couple of questions, JR, if you don't mind...

1) Can we purchase our extra set(s) of steel from the MSH pro shop?  Though I COULD go elsewhere, I'd prefer to buy steel from you....

1a) To that end, is the MSH shop going to stock steel for the Step/True/VH holder?

2) If a participant has his/her own skate sharpener (Sparx, in my case); will they be able to sharpen on their own, subsequent to profiling?

3) Wouldn't THREE sets of steel be preferable to two?  Follow my logic, here: 

• Presume a skater has three sets of steel.  Set '1' is the control (original or 'unprofiled').  Sets 2 and 3 are the 'experimental' sets.
    • Presumably set 1 functions adequately for the skater, so it would never be touched until the end of the process and, in the event that none of the 'new' profiles work, could always be swapped back into the holder. 
  • Step 1:  Skater sends sets '2' and '3' in to be profiled. 
    • Set 2 would then be returned with a single radius and set 3 would be returned with a double radius. 
    • Skater then compares all three sets to each-other.  
    • Presume skater likes the double radius (set 3) better.  After posting a review comparing single and double to each-other AND to the control, skater would keep set 3 and send set 2 to MSH for a triple radius.
  • Step 2:  Skater receives set 2, now with a triple radius.  
    • Skater then compares set 2 (triple radius) with set 3 (double radius) and set 1 (control)
    • Presume skater likes the triple radius (set 2) better.  After posting a review comparing double and triple to each-other AND to the control, the skater would keep set 2 and send set 3 to MSH for a quad 0.
  • Step 3:  Skater receives set 3, now with a quad 0 radius.
    • Skater then compares set 3 (quad radius) with set 2 (triple radius) and set 1 (control)
    • Presume skater likes the quad 0 radius (set 3) better than the triple (set 2), but wants to experiment with different quads to nail it down.
    • After posting a review comparing quad 0 and triple to each-other AND to the control, skater would keep set 3 and send set 2 to MSH for a quad 1.  

Skater would then repeat step 3 until s/he is happy with the profile (even if it meant going back to a triple) and confident that ALL of the steel should be profiled to that spec.  Then...

• Step 4:  Skater would eventually wind up with one set of steel that is (presumably) perfect (let's say it's set 2), one that isn't quite right (set 3), and the control (set 1).  Skater would then keep set 2 and send in sets 1 and 3 for final profiling.  Boom.  Done.

If a participant only has two sets of steel, s/he would only be able to make direct comparisons between the profiled set and the control set.  Though comparing against the control would undoubtedly be useful, wouldn't it be better to be able to compare new profile vs old profile vs control?  Put differently, I think it'd be difficult to compare different profiles against each other if you only have access to the control as your basis of comparison.

I dunno.  Maybe I'm crazy....

Anyway.  

Definitely looking forward to this project!  Thanks for spearheading this one, JR - what an awesome opportunity!!!

Edited by Santos L Halper
Somehow posted without finishing....

1) Yes, you most certainly can!  Do note that 100% of the sales in the MSH Pro Shop support the site.  I am able to get Step for their holder; I just haven't created the listing for it.  I can do so, as well as Tydan.

2) If you want them just profiled/blended, that's completely fine; however, I would say that it is also a good opportunity to be able to test the AS2001's sharpening capabilities by getting an edge put on them as well.

3) Actually, when I said 2 sets of steel, I meant that as in what you're saying - you'd be sending 2 sets to me while holding onto your control set the entire time.  The more sets you have, the shipping cost is lessened because you're not sending it back and forth as often.  Hell, if you have 4 free sets to do, you'd walk out the door with 5 sets done for $28!

Thanks!  

• Like 2

Can we get a Z-channel done with the profile as well? Or is that another variable you want to exclude with this testing?

PS, if you're on True/VH Skates you owe it to yourself to try a Pro Sharp Profile, its distinctively more noticeable when skating in a CCM or Bauer.

• Like 1

When doing the test, I would strongly recommend sticking with what you're currently skating on.  While yes, most likely your sharpening hollow will change once you end up in an optimized profile, in this situation, we want to eliminate as many variables as possible when we're concentrating on assessing the feel of the profile.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

1) Yes, you most certainly can!  Do note that 100% of the sales in the MSH Pro Shop support the site.  I am able to get Step for their holder; I just haven't created the listing for it.  I can do so, as well as Tydan.

[snip]

Sweet!  I'm ready to go, then!

Should I PM you about getting 2 additional sets of Step BlackSteel for my Step holders?  

41 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

When doing the test, I would strongly recommend sticking with what you're currently skating on.  While yes, most likely your sharpening hollow will change once you end up in an optimized profile, in this situation, we want to eliminate as many variables as possible when we're concentrating on assessing the feel of the profile.  

Yep.  Makes perfect sense.  This is why I asked about sharpening myself. 

Presuming I participate in the project, I'd also like to remove sharpening as a variable in my reviews.  And, since those with a Sparx can get a repeatable hollow (or, FBV in my case) with very little hassle, it may make sense for us to sharpen ourselves.

However, now that I think about it....

If you leverage the availability of those that have a sharpener, it could kinda be like TWO studies - one on the profiling, one on the sharpening...particularly since we could always go back to the hollow/FBV we like without returning the steel for sharpening.

Hmmmm.........

Hey, Fire isn't FBV...LOL...you're better off just calling it FB, as the V/fang shape isn't achievable with a ROH fang.

That's completely okay; I have to figure out how we're going to roll out the options.

I'll find out re: steel; I know there was something that was changing in terms of how distribution was going to be handled on steel.  Tydan wouldn't be an issue; I'll find out re: Step.

An email to proshop@modsquadhockey.com will work.

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Thanks!  We rescued Charlotte around Christmas last year.  She's a year old now.

We have had a lot of issues with her, namely her peeing uncontrollably.  We took her to the vet and apparently she's had a raging UTI.  She finished her antibiotics a few days ago and goes for her follow-up today; she has changed quite a bit in that short period of time.  Until last month, there was no way I could let her go leash-less in the front yard - I had to chase her a mile away barefoot with 5" of snow on the ground earlier this year as she would just bolt.

That sounds like my old male beagle, who we nicknamed R Kelly for his love of peeing on things, regardless of where they were. I couldn't let either of my beagles (who I rescued over in Kalamazoo years ago) from going leashless; just can't do it with scent hounds. My vet prescribed some sort of medicine, which I can't recall, which helped somewhat with his peeing.

18 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

Yep.  Makes perfect sense.  This is why I asked about sharpening myself. 

Presuming I participate in the project, I'd also like to remove sharpening as a variable in my reviews.  And, since those with a Sparx can get a repeatable hollow (or, FBV in my case) with very little hassle, it may make sense for us to sharpen ourselves.

However, now that I think about it....

If you leverage the availability of those that have a sharpener, it could kinda be like TWO studies - one on the profiling, one on the sharpening...particularly since we could always go back to the hollow/FBV we like without returning the steel for sharpening.

Hmmmm.........

9/10 times if you profile steel you WILL need to adjust the ROH/FBV since as you add more blade contact with the ice you should be going with a more flat hollow. 

We just got her DNA results two days ago (and we did it Maury-style too, "In the case of Charlotte No (yes, that is her middle name, because in the beginning that's all we said, and it stuck) and it turned out she's a beagle/American Foxhound mix.

She used to be crazy until about a month ago; we have to assume the UTI was the cause.  Usually in older people, when dementia sets in, they check for a UTI when it comes to sudden behavioral changes.

Just now, Nicholas G said:

9/10 times if you profile steel you WILL need to adjust the ROH/FBV since as you add more blade contact with the ice you should be going with a more flat hollow. 

I completely agree; as I posted earlier about that, but it's much easier to deal with that afterwards.  Now, if someone comes to me and ends up in a long profile and a super-deep hollow, that's definitely a conversation we're going to have to have.  I'll talk to Prosharp and see what they think; I believe they do their blade test sets at 5/8".

JR, spoke with Dave M so let me know how to proceed, have 2 sets of LS2 about 2 years old also wanted to add a set of Tydan or Step through you. Not sure if you feel LS2 are too old to profile or not.

Howdy,

Yeah, I'd like to be on the list of "when you're ready to do this, let me know!"

Mark

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cjv31 said:

JR, spoke with Dave M so let me know how to proceed, have 2 sets of LS2 about 2 years old also wanted to add a set of Tydan or Step through you. Not sure if you feel LS2 are too old to profile or not.

Steel condition will be key to this.  In this situation, going from a 2 year old set to a new set are going to yield different results, strictly due to the height difference.  

Strongly recommend new/new-ish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cjv31 said:

I'll take a look at your LS2 next time we play.

Edited by dkmiller3356