Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 8/26 til first week of September Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
chippa13

2018-19 Supplemental Discipline

Recommended Posts

Found another angle. Probably doesn’t hit the hand, but an inch or two from possibly being a serious injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I’d have liked to see a fine just as a “come on, that was potentially really dangerous” and a slash doesn’t have to hit the hands or other body parts to be illegal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilson again. 

Now, to be clear: this is not an illegal check to the head. I have no issue with the point of contact. The problem is the upwards trajectory due to the way he almost jumped into the hit. So it is definitely charging. 

I’m sure the league will look at it but it could probably go either way on supplemental. Because they look at whether a play is suspendable BEFORE they take repeat offender status into account, I expect this to be let go by DPS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see them doing anything about it.  No doubt he launches upwards and he is a piece of garbage but too close to call.  Patience, it is only a metter of time before he screws up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IPv6Freely Could you clarify the reasoning for charging? From the short clip it looks like his skates didn't leave the ice before making contact, and such a hit is generally performed with an upward trajectory (make the contact with the shoulder while pushing off the opposite leg, transferring the energy diagonally through the shoulder - at least thats how I learned it).  Not trying to flame or be biased, just wanting to further my understanding of the rules and if they differ /  are applied differently in NA as opposed to IHF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gosinger said:

@IPv6Freely Could you clarify the reasoning for charging? From the short clip it looks like his skates didn't leave the ice before making contact, and such a hit is generally performed with an upward trajectory (make the contact with the shoulder while pushing off the opposite leg, transferring the energy diagonally through the shoulder - at least thats how I learned it).  Not trying to flame or be biased, just wanting to further my understanding of the rules and if they differ /  are applied differently in NA as opposed to IHF.

The upwards trajectory due to him jumping into the hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marchand doing Marchand things again. 

I can’t imagine this to be suspension worthy but should at least earn him a fine just as a repeat repeat repeat repeat offender. 

Regardless, man that’s embarrassing to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprisingly, no suspension and no fine - but there was a warning issued.

https://www.tsn.ca/bettman-marchand-warned-by-player-safety-1.1299589

It seems a bit weird to be warning a repeat offender but at the very least it's good that he has the league watching him again. 

The Overdrive guys were discussing the idea of some sort of weasel rule, where enough warnings and/or fines eventually results in an automatic 1 suspension. I think that actually makes a lot of sense for guys who continue to have unacceptable behavior but nothing that warrants a fine or suspension. Kind of like in USA hockey where five minors in a game is an automatic ejection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - There are no fines during the playoffs. I think it has something to do with the players not being paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, stick9 said:

FYI - There are no fines during the playoffs. I think it has something to do with the players not being paid. 

Ah, that makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stick9 said:

FYI - There are no fines during the playoffs. I think it has something to do with the players not being paid. 

That's why the old joke for a while was, when the paychecks stop so does Datsyuk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

...you could see it in his eyes that he was really worrying about this. Especially if this would have gave CBJ a win and he would have sit the game 7. Now it is not that big of a deal. I hated him for a second after he punched Bread in the face, but he is trying to play the game the right way and he is a model citizen in my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I agree. I don't think anyone thinks he's a dirty player or anything. I also don't think it was intentional, which is why there was no match penalty assessed. Sometimes shit happens and you have to pay the price for it. It did, and he is. Not a big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Thoughts on whether Sundqvist's hit on Grzelcyk gets looked at?

No, 2 mins was the right call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

2 mins, and maybe a fine, would satisfy me. Even with my Blues colored glasses off

No fines during the playoffs.

Look, for consistency sake he has to get at least a game. The McAvoy hit on Anderson wasn't as bad and he got a game. Gryz left the rink, did not return and is not traveling with the team to St Louis. If you don't come down hard on Sundqvist you are opening the door for more of these types of hits.

I'll say 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am often surprised at how people justify head hits but honestly, I just watched this a bunch more times and can’t see how they gave him a game.  I think they should be way more aggressive policing headshots but I see him follow him into the corner, both at speed,  Grzelyck takes no angle to the puck so he has nowhere to go, ends up in a little awkward position, and Sundqvist hits him.  Haven’t listened to the DOPS video yet but surprising given past standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I am often surprised at how people justify head hits but honestly, I just watched this a bunch more times and can’t see how they gave him a game.  I think they should be way more aggressive policing headshots but I see him follow him into the corner, both at speed,  Grzelyck takes no angle to the puck so he has nowhere to go, ends up in a little awkward position, and Sundqvist hits him.  Haven’t listened to the DOPS video yet but surprising given past standards.

Past standards...what past standards. The NHL has been terrible when it comes to consistency. 

When Sundqvist goes in for the hit all he sees is numbers. Pretty cut and dry. I'm OK with one game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By past standards I mean the low standards! 🙂  Watching a few more times there was more separation than I initially thought, but I think if he isn't injured this is never even discussed again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

By past standards I mean the low standards! 🙂  Watching a few more times there was more separation than I initially thought, but I think if he isn't injured this is never even discussed again.

Haha, very low indeed.

I thought the same with McAvoy's hit on Anderson in game 6 of the BOS/CBJ series. That wasn't the case. Anderson didn't miss a shift and McAvoy, a first time offender, still got a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Haha, very low indeed.

I thought the same with McAvoy's hit on Anderson in game 6 of the BOS/CBJ series. That wasn't the case. Anderson didn't miss a shift and McAvoy, a first time offender, still got a game.

Yeah, but to me that was textbook hit to the head, this one is more gray for me.  Grzelyck puts himself in a screwed up position.  He tries to cut back and his feet go one way and the top of his body another almost.  But I would rather they (consistently!) err on this side of the line than the other.

 

s1uq5CP.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×