Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
IPv6Freely

Kenesky in the NHL

Kenesky has been posting a bunch of photos of their chest protectors going out to NHL goalies for this season. Is this their first year in the NHL? I don't think I've ever seen an NHL goalie (at least in the last bunch of years) wearing one. 

They said they aren't available to the public yet but will be eventually. I think they actually look pretty good. They seem to have two different models based on the photos. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 2.17.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 2.18.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 2.19.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 2.19.16 PM.png

• Like 1

I don't know much about goalie equipment. But I wonder if, being a smaller company, they were able to adapt to the size/fit regulations on C/As more quickly than the "Big Boys." I know the major players, based on an article I read the other day, were having issues getting the new stuff done in time.

I remember the real original Pops Kenesky (whom this company acquired the name).  Back in the 1970's,  a goalie friend of mine scraped together every penny he had and hitchhiked from Philly to Hamilton,Ont. He sat at Pop's door until he made him a set of pads. He came home a couple weeks later with a set of custom pads. Didn't help him much, as he never played anywhere of note. Goalies are so weird.

@IPv6Freely Kenesky had a set of pads or two in NHL training camps last preseason. But it seems they may carve out their space in the NHL.

Vaughn did whine a bit on social media because someone grafted a pair of Kenesky shoulder floaters onto a new VE8 chesty! That was awkward to watch...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkiestooth said:

I remember the real original Pops Kenesky (whom this company acquired the name).  Back in the 1970's,  a goalie friend of mine scraped together every penny he had and hitchhiked from Philly to Hamilton,Ont. He sat at Pop's door until he made him a set of pads. He came home a couple weeks later with a set of custom pads. Didn't help him much, as he never played anywhere of note. Goalies are so weird.

Check out their site, they actually still make old 1970s style custom pads! It’s crazy. 

41 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

@IPv6Freely Kenesky had a set of pads or two in NHL training camps last preseason. But it seems they may carve out their space in the NHL.

Vaughn did whine a bit on social media because someone grafted a pair of Kenesky shoulder floaters onto a new VE8 chesty! That was awkward to watch...

Do they need to pay licensing for C/A since they’re covered up? 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Check out their site, they actually still make old 1970s style custom pads! It’s crazy. 

I am uncertain. I know John Brown famously refused to pay the fees and it ended up that only his chesty and other things covered up make it on NHL goalies. Of course his pads and gloves scream ‘80s.

I think Kenesky were prepared to (AND were actually hoping to) pay the fee to be in the NHL last year. They were QUITE chuffed to have their leg pads appear on a pro in camp last year.  

Sorry to veer slightly off subject, but seeing the availability of new, old style pads, this proves that if there is a market for old stuffed pads, someone could still make a few bucks making cowlings for skates! 

Okay- back to Kenesky trying to make waves!

Edited by bunnyman666

On 10/2/2018 at 9:09 AM, clarkiestooth said:

Pops made pads up into his ‘90s. Before Cooper, Koho, Jofa and Brown, Pops Kenesky was the only game in town for a long time from the early 20th century into the late ‘60s or early ‘70s. D&R probably got into market in the ‘70s. CCM only made goalie gloves back then. Brian Heaton and Mike Vaughn did not get into the game until the ‘80s. Ron Hextall was the last pro in the NHL wearing Kenesky, ending a long, long association with the league. The number of brands literally mushroomed from the ‘70s through the ‘90s!!!!!

Your buddy had quite the experience hitchiking, then hanging on Pops’ door step! What a cool story!

On 10/2/2018 at 8:22 AM, IPv6Freely said:

First post! Looking forward to future goalie discussions on ModSquad.

This is in line with my thinking- I don't think they need to pay a licensing fee because the logos are obscured, but if any NHL goalie wants to use their pads they'll need to be skinned. I think we've seen a similar thing with Brown C/As in the past.

3 hours ago, Cascadian Tendy said:

First post! Looking forward to future goalie discussions on ModSquad.

This is in line with my thinking- I don't think they need to pay a licensing fee because the logos are obscured, but if any NHL goalie wants to use their pads they'll need to be skinned. I think we've seen a similar thing with Brown C/As in the past.

Welcome! 

There used to be a lot of Brown in the NHL, though there may not have been licensing fees back then. 

38 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

$700. That's a lot.

$700 is the what a top level C/A costs nowadays, regardless of brand.

1 hour ago, mickz said:

$700 is the what a top level C/A costs nowadays, regardless of brand.

I guess that's $700 CDN. Pro C/A are between $530 and $600 USD.

Elbow pieces look more heavy duty than JDP elbow caps.

Edited by caveman27

4 hours ago, caveman27 said:

$700. That's a lot.

If that’s CAD, it’s not bad at all.

Theres a reason goalies don’t normally pay for league fees 😉 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

If that’s CAD, it’s not bad at all.

Theres a reason goalies don’t normally pay for league fees 😉 

Yeah. I live in an area where goalies pay league fees and pay for pick-up hockey. It's an upside-down universe.

Screw that. I’d NEVER pay for pickup. Goalies are supposed to pay in one of the leagues here (but only at one, the rest are all free), but I just... don’t. I just stopped paying.

Once my low-level corporate team needed a goalie, and so we quickly download the app and find that there's a 1-to-5 rating setting, so we chose 5 thinking it'd be the lowest and it turned out to be the highest rating. After the first period he told us to just play 4-deep, he still managed to only let in one. 

Edited by Giltis

On 1/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Screw that. I’d NEVER pay for pickup. Goalies are supposed to pay in one of the leagues here (but only at one, the rest are all free), but I just... don’t. I just stopped paying.

I've played in various places in New York, Vermont, Pennsylvania and Maryland and the goalies played for free. In Virginia where I am, they pay. It's a joke as the rink management see goalies as "players". 

I pay for the teams I play on... I get a jersey and I enjoy my time with them. I don't pay as much as the others do but I still insist on paying. Pickup and drop in I would obviously never pay for though.

• Like 1