Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ogie Oglethorpe

NICC Hockey - Speedmaster

Saw this in this month’s USA Hockey magazine

http://nicchockey.com/product_details.php?pid=2&catid=3 (Note; no information on the curve patterns)

Makes some bold claims; anyone have any feedback?

Quoting:”Patented technology, resists blade twist, increases shot speed, spin, control and feel. Reduces drag forces, receives the puck with dead stop action. Lifts puck onto blade upon impact, the competition twist down. Exclusive carbon fiber layup and mold.”

http://nicchockey.com/hockey_sticky_performance.php?a=2

Edited by Ogie Oglethorpe

Welp...whether or not that stick delivers on it's outlandish promises, they've certainly managed to create one of the ugliest and most unfortunately named sticks on the market.

It's not even the 'Speedmaster'  It's the 'Speed MASTER'  Two words, please.  Two.

Someone over at Sher-Wood is breathing a sigh of relief now that REKKER is no longer the dumbest product name in hockey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

Welp...whether or not that stick delivers on it's outlandish promises, they've certainly managed to create one of the ugliest and most unfortunately named sticks on the market.

It's not even the 'Speedmaster'  It's the 'Speed MASTER'  Two words, please.  Two.

Someone over at Sher-Wood is breathing a sigh of relief now that REKKER is no longer the dumbest product name in hockey.

LOL. I actually like REKKER even though I agree it is nonsense....no clue why, I just do.

Honestly, despite my somewhat juvenile observations above, I've got to say that I love to see people/companies pushing the envelope when it comes to developing new technologies for the game.  With the massive consolidation that the industry has seen of late (only 3 legitimate full-line manufacturers of protective equipment - only 3 major skate manufacturers), there is precious little impetus for game-changing innovation these days - particularly at the retail level.  

You see it in all mature industries that cater to a limited audience - once a point is reached where easy substitution and relatively consistent product offerings from each of the major players becomes the norm, manufacturers shift their focus from heavily investing in R&D in search of something truly revolutionary, to attempting to generate marketing hype surrounding fancy looking but, ultimately, incremental 'improvements' in their product lines.  Partially because of the, 'what more can a shoulder pad really do?' phenomenon; but also because one miscalculation on what the customers are willing to pay for can have a dramatic impact on the bottom line - see Graf Canada when Michael J. (STICKS!!! COMPOSITE!!! COMPOSITE STICKS!!!) Hill took over and Don Caley passed away.

Anyway.  I hope these NICC guys can make it work. Not because I have a secret desire to rush out and spend $300 on the ugliest stick on the market; but because I like to think that, even though I'll surely have to gag my way through my next equipment purchase (....CCM, Bauer, or Warrior, anyone....), innovation is still, in a small way at least, part of the industry.  

5 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

LOL even more at the $140 price tag for a youth stick...

The add in USA Hockey offers a discount and says the “special” price is $189 for a senior twig. Perhaps the $300 is the MSRP which they will quickly abandon so you think it’s a great deal.

i mirror others sentiments; it is a fugly stick.

anyone watch the videos? Their add says it reduces blade twist but in their own slow-mo that blade is torquing and vibrating all over the place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ogie Oglethorpe said:

[snip]

anyone watch the videos? Their add says it reduces blade twist but in their own slow-mo that blade is torquing and vibrating all over the place.

My thoughts exactly.  I'm not sure those videos do them any favors.....

Edited by Santos L Halper
Grammar

Whole thing seems very exaggerated. Love the “call for special pricing” on the gloves, only for them to list the special pricing the next sentence

So... the glove video is a joke right? Like supposed to be an awful 90s advertisement? Also that glove is basically a True XC9... how did they get away with that...

I had the opportunity to test one of these and personally think its trash. Personally, I will stick with max height blades which I know work, dont open up when shooting, and the puck doesn't skip over... Most of the NHL seem to think this same way as well. 

On 10/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, specs78 said:

LOL. I actually like REKKER even though I agree it is nonsense....no clue why, I just do.

Lightbulb moment...is Rekker supposed to be a play on “wrecker?”  That doesn’t make any more sense, but at least it’s a word… 

On 10/13/2018 at 6:35 PM, start_today said:

Lightbulb moment...is Rekker supposed to be a play on “wrecker?”  That doesn’t make any more sense, but at least it’s a word… 

I originally looked the word up some time ago and it is also a norwegian word that has several uses, some of which have to do with actions that could be used in hockey. Can’t confirm this is what it’s from