Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Steve_v3

Laura Stamm skating clinic

Has anyone done one of these clinics as an adult?

I was thinking of doing one but wanted to know if it's worth it as an older player.

I searched and didn't see anything specific to these clinics.

I've never done a skating camp but have watched my kid do a couple. My feelings are it's better to take the money and use them for private lessons. With camps they will show you how to do something and let you know if you are doing it right or wrong. After the camp is over it's up to you to do the drills and hope you are doing them right. if you are not doing them right then you can start building bad habbits.  With personal training you get one on one instruction with immediate reinforcement and they can gear your lesson to what needs to be worked on.  After a few camps we stopped because he wasn't getting as much out of them as he was with a personal instructor. 

• Like 1

Eons ago when I was a kid, I dread what power skating would be like as an out of shape beer leaguer.

That being said, I def think theres a market for Adult skating/skills and if Stamm offers one I think it would be well worth it. How many of us have the 5 minute warmup before a 10 PM game or the few minutes before pickup hockey to 'practice' or get used to a new stick/skates, etc.? We can all benefit getting to know our edges again or even learn how to really use them for the first time. If you have the opportunity, time, & money yeah I say go for it.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, Steve_v3 said:

Has anyone done one of these clinics as an adult?

I was thinking of doing one but wanted to know if it's worth it as an older player.

Absolutely worth it.  I work the Swedish group JRM Skate and Skills (check it out on youtube). We now have these camps for adults (next one is January2-4 in Clearwater Florida). It's a great way for quick, sustainable improvement.

I did both Robbie Glantz and Laura Stamm, and found them valuable - there wasn't an adult specific section, but neither program minded if an adult signed up.  You were just placed with an appropriate level and could modify drills based on your ability and being two feet taller than the kids.  (Memorably, Glantz does the waist belt with another skater hanging on - they just stacked a bunch of mites on my trailing straps.  Kids had a ball.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ha that's awesome, someone needs to make an adult clinic around me where its power skating, skills, & off ice...I'd sign up for that over going to the gym any day of the week!

46 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I have worked with her.  She is excellent.  Didn't help me of course but thats more an indictment of my lack of ability than her clinics.  Well worth it.  

you’re more the sniper than the speed guy 

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 10/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, the_game said:

Ha that's awesome, someone needs to make an adult clinic around me where its power skating, skills, & off ice...I'd sign up for that over going to the gym any day of the week!

I think the only ones I've seen that have an off-ice component are the Can/Am and Heartland camps.  I expect it's a time/space constraint for a lot of both rinks, and adults.

Enjoyed Laura Stamm's clinics when I had her as a teenager.  As an adult I've been going to Robby Glantz.  He does adult sessions, I think I've been to two of them now.  Really nice to work on some of the finer details of skating that you don't get to in pickup or men's league games.