Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Starbase101

Can anyone identify these shoulder pads?

I am trying to find a set of shoulder pads like in the attached picture but nothing is matching up. These would be considered "vintage", pre-1982 and either hockey or motocross gear. I was thinking maybe someone here who really knows gear might recognize it and point me in the right direction with at least a brand name. Thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=844269&d=153

Edited by Starbase101

Yes, the pic is of the actual shoulder pad costume part for Sark from TRON. I am trying to identify them for a project and thought I'd try here where there are probably people who know hockey gear way more than I do. The closest matches I've seen so far are old Bauer and CCM pads but they aren't quite exact. So you think motocross instead of hockey? Disney used both in the costumes development.

4 hours ago, Starbase101 said:

Yes, the pic is of the actual shoulder pad costume part for Sark from TRON. I am trying to identify them for a project and thought I'd try here where there are probably people who know hockey gear way more than I do. The closest matches I've seen so far are old Bauer and CCM pads but they aren't quite exact. So you think motocross instead of hockey? Disney used both in the costumes development.

If it were hockey, it would be Cooper, judging by the fact they used SK2000 helmets in the movie.  Bauer was strictly a skate manufacturer at that point; when Canstar was dissolved and they got into protective in 1995, it was the Cooper stuff that migrated over.

Cooper did have pieces that had integrated shoulder/bicep like that.

Paging @DarkStar50...

• Like 1

After a little help from JR on dating the Tron movie, I don’t think that is a hockey shoulder pad epaulet/bicep pad set up. The black piping or any not white piping wasn’t added for awhile to hockey protective.  Also Koho and Vic(courtesy of Rennie on the Island) were the first to use color other than white on under protective. The material that the plastic caps are sewn to also doesn’t look like anything I recall from back then.  Canadian manufacturing was still completely traditional old school in product design in early 80s. The Cooperall girdle was the first product to move the needle. 

Edited by DarkStar50

6 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

If it were hockey, it would be Cooper, judging by the fact they used SK2000 helmets in the movie.  Bauer was strictly a skate manufacturer at that point; when Canstar was dissolved and they got into protective in 1995, it was the Cooper stuff that migrated over.

Cooper did have pieces that had integrated shoulder/bicep like that.

Paging @DarkStar50...

Not necessarily true.  Although Disney did indeed use Cooper SK2000 helmets and I've managed to acquire one of those for my project, they used Jofa for several of the shoulder/bicep pads and motocross gear for other characters' "armor".  I've found the correct Jofa pads for Tron biceps but still trying to find the correct Jofa shoulder pads in the proper size.  Sark's pads are not the same as Tron's.

5 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

After a little help from JR on dating the Tron movie, I don’t think that is a hockey shoulder pad epaulet/bicep pad set up. The black piping or any not white piping wasn’t added for awhile to hockey protective.  Also Koho and Vic(courtesy of Rennie on the Island) were the first to use color other than white on under protective. The material that the plastic caps are sewn to also doesn’t look like anything I recall from back then.  Canadian manufacturing was still completely traditional old school in product design in early 80s. The Cooperall girdle was the first product to move the needle. 

Thank you all for the history information on hockey pads - no, I'm not being sarcastic!  I started looking up vintage motocross chest protectors and many of them look more to what I'm seeking than hockey gear, and what you've described about hockey pads in the late 70's early 80's correlates with that.  So I guess I'll look for some motocross "experts" to see if they recognize the pads so I can know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Thanks!

Edited by Starbase101

47 minutes ago, Starbase101 said:

Not necessarily true.  Although Disney did indeed use Cooper SK2000 helmets and I've managed to acquire one of those for my project, they used Jofa for several of the shoulder/bicep pads and motocross gear for other characters' "armor".  I've found the correct Jofa pads for Tron biceps but still trying to find the correct Jofa shoulder pads in the proper size.  Sark's pads are not the same as Tron's.

I meant as in there wouldn’t be any Bauer pads made in that timeframe, as Bauer was strictly a skate manufacturer at that point in time. If you matched some Bauer pads that looked similar, they would’ve morphed from a Cooper design. 

It was strange that some of the motocross and BMX chest protector designs migrated into hockey and vice versa. Heck- I remember Jofa making BMX protective gear briefly in the ‘80s.