Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Oilers97

Shin guards that don’t make my legs look like tree trunks?

Hi. I’ve had a pair of x60 shin guards and they didn’t air flush at all. So I went to S170s and they do fit better but as the x60s did, they make my legs look massive and have been impeding my skating they are so wide. 

Im 5’4 and was sized for a 14” shin guard. The x60s were 13”s and I figured that was the issue. My legs look stupid and I don’t know what pair would sit more flush and make my legs look normal. My legs aren’t that big lol.

Any ideas on what style I should loook at?  

Do you wear them under or over the tongue? Watch this for sizing:

Work out the sizing for yourself, don't take the word of someone else at blind faith. Personally I go oversize and modify the bottom (cutting and restitching) so I get more protection beside the tendon guard. Frankly I couldn't give a rats arse how they look, as long as they fit correctly, comfortably and give me the required degree of protection I am after. Buy the shin that fits you the best, not just because it makes your legs look fat, ffs.

• Like 1

The Jetspeed and the Vapor are the lines that are meant to be more form fitting. With that said, I'm 5'5 and I wear 13" 1Xs and I don't find they restrict my movements. 

As for looks, sorry man, not everyone can look slim and trim like an NHL player. Different body types means different looks. Worry about being properly protected. I'd rather be the ugliest looking guy on the ice that the prettiest dude in the hospital.

And if you really want to look good, dangle a defenseman and tuck one under the bar.  

• Like 1

I had Vapors for a bit (X900's) and always felt the knee and upper shin area were too wide from an aesthetic point of view and also a technical point since I did feel they impeded my movement a bit (and all the while they actually felt good on my leg from the inside). After those I went to an older pair of CCM U+ CS pads which were the total opposite,super light and tapered but they were actually too narrow feeling and after a few shots and falls on the knee I realized they weren't as protective as I liked.  So I am now in CCM Super Tacks which I love, they're more of a traditional cut so not super narrow but not bulky, still very protective and not that heavy feeling.  So, from my experience, I'd say try on some models from the Tacks line, or the Quicklite/Jetspeed whatever they're calling it this year line which will be a bit lighter and more streamlined than the Tacks.

I also find oversized shin pads a problem. I went to my LHS to try some pads on the other day. I found that I barely wore size 14, and I’m 5’8’’. Are you sure you were fitted correctly? I know Supremes do have the largest “look” to them. Maybe try 13” in a different brand, or 14” in a different brand/line.

I’ve noticed the only way to actually stop the problem is to get taller. Which, if you’re like me, probably isn’t gonna happen anytime soon.

I’m 5’9 and wear 14s over the tongue- unless you have really long legs relative to your torso I can’t see how those would fit you.

13s also drop you into a junior pad in most brands which have a slimmer profile than the same pad in a senior size. 

I'm 5'11" with bigger thighs but significantly smaller calves haha. I currently wear the Bauer Vapor APX2s (first pic). Previously, I used to wear the Bauer Supreme 2000s (which I use for inline hockey now). Both at 14" but you can see how the tapered fit works (especially when the knee is flexed). I'd be curious to know what other shin pads as slim or slimmer but I think this is as good as it gets for me. I like the tapered look but would've bought something longer if I had to do it all over again. 

dsc_0555_edited_28826292568_o (2).jpg

IMG_0101.JPG

Thanks everyone. I think I was sized wrong to be honest. I don’t have big legs at all but these ones are literally clipping when I try to skate. He went on and on that anything smaller are kids pads. I realize he’s probably wrong. I’ll be looking into something new. That’s pribabaly the reason they look so dumb. 

Ill check it out. Thanks 

I'd look into the Bauer models with Curv shins.  They are using the rigidity and protection of the material to remove some other padding and negative space.  It makes them a little slimmer and closer fitting.  If you're wearing Int. pads, this is doubly true because they'll be the most protective.  Also, I find my 1S shins fit small also, which may benefit you.  I wore 14" in everything else previously, but needed the 1S in a 15" to get the same coverage. 

Edited by psulion22

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I'd look into the Bauer models with Curv shins.  They are using the rigidity and protection of the material to remove some other padding and negative space.  It makes them a little slimmer and closer fitting.  If you're wearing Int. pads, this is doubly true because they'll be the most protective.  Also, I find my 1S shins fit small also, which may benefit you.  I wore 14" in everything else previously, but needed the 1S in a 15" to get the same coverage. 

I wonder if Bauer just makes their shin pads smaller. It would make sense given the reduction of size and weight in protective gear. I know my shin pads aren't ideal for me since I play D in men's league but I do my best to not block shots ha.

I think my major problem here is my shinpads are far too large for me haha. I like the feel of the supreme line I hated the vapors. In 13, they felt like they hovered over my leg and were even bigger looking.