Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Leif

Foot pain

This week I skated for at least ten hours, a bit more than usual, and I now have discomfort in my right foot. Where the foot joins the leg, and slightly to the right, not far from the ankle. Bending the foot, as when crouching for example, is uncomfortable. This isn’t lace bite, I’ve had that a few times on the top of the foot. Does anyone know the cause of the discomfort and how to avoid it? It makes driving a car trickier. At present I’m giving skating a miss for a few days to let it recover. I wear Bauer Supreme S160 skates which are 20 months old, and otherwise very comfortable. 

Bottom line is this: it's pressure from the boot causing irritation of the foot structure. Whilst your boot may feel comfortable, over time it breaks down and this can cause issues to arise. Skating once or twice a week and you may survive, your body can heal the micro damage in time. But as soon as you step up your time in the skates then your body falls behind and the damage persists. What causes it can be attributed to a host of issues:- the way you skate, boot alignment issues, boot manufacturing flaws causing extra fast break down, natural wear and tear on the boot, feet / knee / hip alignment issues causing pressure points in the boot.

Sadly I doubt anyone can tell you exactly what the problem is without seeing you skate and having a close look at your boots. imho you have 4 choices - 1: skate less 2: try padding the foot until you find something that works, you have to try and work out what is causing the issue then use things like donut pads to relieve the pressure on the foot. 3: new boots 4: learn to skate with your laces undone.  

• Thanks 1

I forgot to take the gel pad along for the last skate, so instead I didn't tighten the skate much at the top eyelets, and it seems to have done the job. So you are right, it was pressure rather than overuse, or bad skate design.