Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SILVER82

A list of skate weights

Hey Everyone.  

I keep seeing people asking and talking about skate weight in different posts.  I thought why don't we start a list so people can compare.  If you post a weight please add the following details.

1. Make model

2. Size (ie 8 D)

3. Holder

4. Steel 

5. Extras - added shot blockers etc. (probably only applies to trues)

6. Weight (g)

If you get the weight off a website let us know and lets try and put everything in grams.

Ill start

1.Make :Easton Mako 2

2.Size: 8.5D

3. Holder: Easton CXN 

4. Steel: Easton CXN

5. Extras: NA

6. Weight: L=853 grams, R= 857 grams

For comparison i switched to step steel

1.Make :Easton Mako 2

2.Size: 8.5D

3. Holder: Easton CXN 

4. Steel: Step Steel

6. Weight: L=871 grams, R= 877 grams

This comes off the web (ice warehouse)

1.Make :CCM AS1

2.Size: 9D

3. Holder: CCM SB 4.0

4. Steel: CCM black steel

6. Weight: 786 grams

1.Make : Bauer Vapor X1 2017

3. Holder: Tuuk Lightspeed

4. Steel: LS4

6. Weight: 840 g + 42 for speed plate 

1.Make : Bauer Supreme 2S Pro 2018

3. Holder: Tuuk Lightspeed edge

4. Steel: LS5 carbon

6. Weight: 810 

The lightest skate on the market will feel like it weighs 9000 grams if it doesn’t fit properly and hurts your feet. This is a useless (and harmful/misleading) exercise IMO. 

All the top of the line skates now are light enough to the point where if it fits correctly and you have reasonably strong legs a few grams really shouldn’t matter. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

The lightest skate on the market will feel like it weighs 9000 grams if it doesn’t fit properly and hurts your feet. This is a useless (and harmful/misleading) exercise IMO. 

All the top of the line skates now are light enough to the point where if it fits correctly and you have reasonably strong legs a few grams really shouldn’t matter. 

I would like to keep this thread void of debates over what’s important about this and that with skates. I agree with you fit is the most important thing and I also believe a few grams does not make a difference in the grand scheme of things. 

The purpose of this post is to supply information for those who are interested in skate, holder and blade weight differences. 

There are lots of people asking about true skate weight and this will allow them to compare product to product. 

Anyone not wishing to contribute doesn’t have to. I just ask that discussion on the merit of skate weight be discusssed in other threads

thank you 

• Like 2

I'd just like to point out that this sort of thing really won't work for True/VH skates - simply because of the custom, hand-made, one-of-a-kind nature of the product. 

My Trues could weigh substantially more (or less...) than another pair of Trues and still use the same size blade holders; simply because my unique fit situation may require more (or less) carbon weave than someone else's.

Just food for thought....

30 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

I'd just like to point out that this sort of thing really won't work for True/VH skates - simply because of the custom, hand-made, one-of-a-kind nature of the product. 

My Trues could weigh substantially more (or less...) than another pair of Trues and still use the same size blade holders; simply because my unique fit situation may require more (or less) carbon weave than someone else's.

Just food for thought....

I didn’t think of that and good point. 

For True skates and probably other customs you could include holder size and it would be interesting to see how much of a difference there actually is between different ones. 

Seeing a big difference between two customs on the same runner size would actually shed some light on how much customization goes into them  

my original reason for starting this post was bc of people complaining about the weight of trues.  Someone posted that theirs weighed 870grams I think which is the same as my makos.  I figured if we actually had a post listing weights then people actually can see what weighs what vs “they feel super heavy” comments

I think it was Pure Hockey who weighed skates, gloves, helmets and sticks awhile back. The NXG’s were the lightest skates followed by the APX. 

12 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I think where the weight is located is what matters. To be honest. Weight at the blade is going to have more of an effect than the boot itself. 

I think your probably right. I just switch to step steel and will post a review soon but one thing I did notice was that when gridding one footed the blade felt more true (felt like the ruts didn’t effect it as much). This could have been the extra weight something else to do with the blade or just in my head. 

I think extreme weight distribution will have a bigger effect on feeling than just over all weight. 

It would be interesting to hear from someone who tried fusion steel then step steel. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I think where the weight is located is what matters. To be honest. Weight at the blade is going to have more of an effect than the boot itself. 

I totally agree. It's physics. It's also why an ounce in the butt end of a hockey stick is insignificant compared to an ounce in the stick's blade.

12 hours ago, chikinpotpie said:

I think what you're looking for are "squats"

look them up

Im not sure if this is suppose to be a jab at me or something but if it is.  What is wrong with you?  At no point am I complaining about skate weight or anything like that.  My skates are I guess pretty heavy and I love them.  I am just trying to put a list of information together to help everyone.  For some reason people keep wanting to post negative comments about this.  

• Like 2

Fit should always come first and is much more important than brand, looks or weight, but people are curious about weight and often bring it up (for not only skates, but all equipment). There's nothing wrong with gathering some information. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Fit should always come first and is much more important than brand, looks or weight, but people are curious about weight and often bring it up (for not only skates, but all equipment). There's nothing wrong with gathering some information. 

I agree

Personally, weights should be taken without the steel or with all the same steel. All weights posted should be of the same size. What good does it to compare a size 8 Bauer to a size 9 CCM. Always irked me that IW weighs different sizes.

• Like 1