Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 8/26 til first week of September Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Monty22

Road race in extreme cold - what to wear?

I'm running a Thanksgiving morning road race and weather forecast is for CT to have "the coldest Thanksgiving on record" , with temps in the low teens.   Any suggestions for keeping warm for the 45 minutes before the race starts when the 13,000 runners stage? Also, not sure what layers beyond a cold gear shirt and maybe a t shirt will be comfortable. Maybe a UA type hoody?  If anyone one has run in similar conditions let me know what worked for you. 

DO NOT wear a tee shirt. The most important layer is the base that wicks away moisture. Something like those made by Craft. A tee shirt will get soaked, then you're done. Next, a light insulator, like a thin fleece. If needed, ultralight windstopper shell (that breathes). Hat. Light gloves. I've raced Nordic ski events for 4 hours in -60F  wind chill temps with that set up.

Edited by clarkiestooth
  • Like 1

Thanks. I think the worst part will be waiting for the race to start. 45 Minutes is a long time to just stand in the cold. I'm looking for a jacket I can just chuck once the race starts.   

On 11/22/2018 at 9:04 PM, Monty22 said:

Thanks. I think the worst part will be waiting for the race to start. 45 Minutes is a long time to just stand in the cold. I'm looking for a jacket I can just chuck once the race starts.   

How did it went? I hope it went well and they did good. :D