Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Monty22

Road race in extreme cold - what to wear?

I'm running a Thanksgiving morning road race and weather forecast is for CT to have "the coldest Thanksgiving on record" , with temps in the low teens.   Any suggestions for keeping warm for the 45 minutes before the race starts when the 13,000 runners stage? Also, not sure what layers beyond a cold gear shirt and maybe a t shirt will be comfortable. Maybe a UA type hoody?  If anyone one has run in similar conditions let me know what worked for you. 

DO NOT wear a tee shirt. The most important layer is the base that wicks away moisture. Something like those made by Craft. A tee shirt will get soaked, then you're done. Next, a light insulator, like a thin fleece. If needed, ultralight windstopper shell (that breathes). Hat. Light gloves. I've raced Nordic ski events for 4 hours in -60F  wind chill temps with that set up.

Edited by clarkiestooth
  • Like 1

Thanks. I think the worst part will be waiting for the race to start. 45 Minutes is a long time to just stand in the cold. I'm looking for a jacket I can just chuck once the race starts.   

On 11/22/2018 at 9:04 PM, Monty22 said:

Thanks. I think the worst part will be waiting for the race to start. 45 Minutes is a long time to just stand in the cold. I'm looking for a jacket I can just chuck once the race starts.   

How did it went? I hope it went well and they did good. :D