Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Nolan88

Ccm trigger

Hey I recently bought a ccm trigger and it is my first low kick stick. Whenever I shoot I don’t get as hard of a shot as I did with my old super tacks. I was wondering how I could maximize the low kick shot... like what types of releases create power with low kick sticks.

14 minutes ago, Nolan88 said:
Hey I recently bought a ccm trigger and it is my first low kick stick. Whenever I shoot I don’t get as hard of a shot as I did with my old super tacks. I was wondering how I could maximize the low kick shot... like what types of releases create power with low kick sticks.

Low kick sticks such as the Trigger aren't designed for super powerful shots, they are designed to get the shot off quickly as possible allowing a player to shoot while in stride.

and

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nathan+mckinnion+shooting

Edited by Nicholas G

But it feels like I get rocket quick snap shots with my super tacks 2.0 and then when I take he same shot with the trigger I get like no power at all.... why is that? And how could I learn to maximize my shot with a low kick stick?

36 minutes ago, Nolan88 said:

But it feels like I get rocket quick snap shots with my super tacks 2.0 and then when I take he same shot with the trigger I get like no power at all.... why is that? And how could I learn to maximize my shot with a low kick stick?

If you look at the video McKinnion is shooting from in front of his body.  DO NOT quote me on this. I believe I read this on this board somewhere. A member on here was chatting with someone from one of the bigger companies I want to say it was Bauer and they said Low vs Mid vs High kick sticks are all about where you shoot from and how you load your shots.  With a low kick stick, since you get a quicker release, you want to shoot from let's say the toe of your skate or in front. A mid kick stick you basically want to shoot from the heel of your skate and release at your toe, and a high kick stick from behind your body to the heel of your foot.  

For me personally, I have tried low kicks and mid kicks and I prefer mid because of where I am loading the stick from.  Your shooting style may not work with a low kick stick. 

EDIT: I found the reference post it's the last post; psulion22's post.

Edited by strosedefence34
found the reference post

I primarily use low kick sticks. My main stick right now is a Trigger 2, but I also have a QRE, QRL, and a 1X. My secondary sticks are a 2N Pro and a 1S. I also have a Supertacks 2.0. Any way, I have too many sticks.

To me, the feel of shooting changes with each type of stick, and that change in feel can trick you. I have one of those sports radars, and I take it to the rink from time to time. I also occasionally take video of myself shooting to see the flaws in my form. With that said, sometimes I shoot, it feels like I got all of it, but the video and radar tell me otherwise. On the flip side, sometimes I shoot and it doesn't feel like it's anything special, but the radar and video show me the shot was at the high end of my range. And any shot that hits the post or crossbar always feels like it's harder than it actually is.

After keeping track of the data, I realized, for the most part, as long as I'm using proper form, the average velocity of my various shots doesn't change no matter what stick I use. My snapshot is still my snapshot and my slapshot is still my slapshot. For me, what does change is comfort/quickness of the release and the firmness of the hosel. Obviously, I have to make minor adjustments when using different stick because of the change in kick point, but for the most part, I use the same techniques.

So from my perspective, there really isn't a trick to maximizing power. Just use proper technique and things will fall into place.  

My 2 cents. It's worth what you paid.

Edited by puckpilot
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I primarily use low kick sticks. My main stick right now is a Trigger 2, but I also have a QRE, QRL, and a 1X. My secondary sticks are a 2N Pro and a 1S. I also have a Supertacks 2.0. Any way, I have too many sticks.

To me, the feel of shooting changes with each type of stick, and that change in feel can trick you. I have one of those sports radars, and I take it to the rink from time to time. I also occasionally take video of myself shooting to see the flaws in my form. With that said, sometimes I shoot, it feels like I got all of it, but the video and radar tell me otherwise. On the flip side, sometimes I shoot and it doesn't feel like it's anything special, but the radar and video show me the shot was at the high end of my range. And any shot that hits the post or crossbar always feels like it's harder than it actually is.

After keeping track of the data, I realized, for the most part, as long as I'm using proper form, the average velocity of my various shots doesn't change no matter what stick I use. My snapshot is still my snapshot and my slapshot is still my slapshot. For me, what does change is comfort/quickness of the release and the firmness of the hosel. Obviously, I have to make minor adjustments when using different stick because of the change in kick point, but for the most part, I use the same techniques.

So from my perspective, there really isn't a trick to maximizing power. Just use proper technique and things will fall into place.  

My 2 cents. It's worth what you paid.

Hey thanks man

• Like 1