Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SILVER82

private power skating prices

Fairly new to playing hockey.  Everyone says put your money in skating lessons before equipment which for many reasons makes sense.  Wondering what people pay for power skating lessons.  I have taken various classes over the past two years but currently no adult lessons are being offered.  One local instructor offers private lessons at 115 and hrs and am wondering whether this is a good price/ fair price, this includes the ice.  Anyone else gone through this

Price varies by a coach's experience as a coach and/or player. That price is really high imo, but it depends on the length of time of the lesson and whether or not it is during a public session or private ice. You could get a lot out of a 30 minute well structured power skating lesson during a public session every week or every other week. 

When I re-entered hockey six years ago, several coaches offered their services. I paid $13/half hour to both a figure skating coach and later a speed skater coach who both offered me help. I am certain their prices increased. This was during public sessions. My speed skater medaled nationally. The figure coach has several students who have won nationwide contests. I made a several month commitment with each of them.

What does these lessons entail? Is it a series?

Howdy,

10 minutes ago, SILVER82 said:

it is a private one on one for an hour. no one else is on the ice.  I would love the option for less time or during public skates but those are not being offered here.  

For 1:1 and only you on the ice, $115/hr. doesn't seem bad.  Most instructors around here do lessons during stick time or public skates though, which keeps the costs much more reasonable.

Can you split that time with another student or two?  1:3 is still a pretty darn good instructor:student ratio.

Mark

1 minute ago, marka said:

Howdy,

For 1:1 and only you on the ice, $115/hr. doesn't seem bad.  Most instructors around here do lessons during stick time or public skates though, which keeps the costs much more reasonable.

Can you split that time with another student or two?  1:3 is still a pretty darn good instructor:student ratio.

Mark

Currently that is what I am trying to do.  I have one other guy who is in and am looking for one more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SILVER82 said:

it is a private one on one for an hour. no one else is on the ice.  I would love the option for less time or during public skates but those are not being offered here.  

That is a lot of money. Yes- it is one on one, but the trick to this is several sessions in a row to help develop the habits. If you could successfully split it with a few others, it wouldn’t be quite the financial pain; $115/hour would get pretty old for me for a month’s worth really quickly!!!! I would get pretty burnt out if I weren’t seeing quick improvement. 

31 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That is a lot of money. Yes- it is one on one, but the trick to this is several sessions in a row to help develop the habits. If you could successfully split it with a few others, it wouldn’t be quite the financial pain; $115/hour would get pretty old for me for a month’s worth really quickly!!!! I would get pretty burnt out if I weren’t seeing quick improvement. 

I agree its a lot of money.  Hopefully i can split it with a few guys 

40 minutes ago, SILVER82 said:

I agree its a lot of money.  Hopefully i can split it with a few guys 

Having the entire surface between three of you would increase the value of the sessions. Weaving between kids on their buckets at a public session is annoying and dangerous!!!!

Edited by bunnyman666

On 11/26/2018 at 7:07 AM, SILVER82 said:

No, coaches ice or free skate, but never many others on the ice.  Another coach or 2 with a kid or two each, during a free skate, done at odd times that usually has a few kids at worst, nobody else out there or another 1-1 at best.  Would be tough to get a regular hour of ice here regular, plus it’d be $135 + cost of the Coach.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:57 AM, SILVER82 said:

Fairly new to playing hockey.  Everyone says put your money in skating lessons before equipment which for many reasons makes sense.  Wondering what people pay for power skating lessons.  I have taken various classes over the past two years but currently no adult lessons are being offered.  One local instructor offers private lessons at 115 and hrs and am wondering whether this is a good price/ fair price, this includes the ice.  Anyone else gone through this

I coach and when someone asks me to do this I offer the following advice: At a beginner level you are not going to see the improvement you want for the money you are spending. Go and join a figure skating class and learn to balance and get moving. Also go to public skates and practice skating moves there, youtube is your friend here, the Itrain hockey series is a good place to start. At the same time get a green biscuit, some inline skates and a hockey wraparound on your stick and get down to your local park or anywhere with a flat enough surface and skate / puck handle your heart out. Add a shooting net at home with 20 or so pucks and this is as good as any one on one on ice instruction you will ever get. Once you can skate, balance, stop etc and have the mechanics of shooting starting to work for you THEN seek out a coach. But I have clients where money is not a concern and if you are in this position then go for it.

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I coach and when someone asks me to do this I offer the following advice: At a beginner level you are not going to see the improvement you want for the money you are spending. Go and join a figure skating class and learn to balance and get moving. Also go to public skates and practice skating moves there, youtube is your friend here, the Itrain hockey series is a good place to start. At the same time get a green biscuit, some inline skates and a hockey wraparound on your stick and get down to your local park or anywhere with a flat enough surface and skate / puck handle your heart out. Add a shooting net at home with 20 or so pucks and this is as good as any one on one on ice instruction you will ever get. Once you can skate, balance, stop etc and have the mechanics of shooting starting to work for you THEN seek out a coach. But I have clients where money is not a concern and if you are in this position then go for it.

Thank you for the response.  I wish I fell in the category of money is no concern.  I am about 3 years into playing hockey.  In that time I have done 4 figure skating classes (same coach as the one I am looking at).  She use to offer adult classes.  Ive attended a 3 rounds of NTR classes and even joined up with some 8 year old power skating classes (wow was that humbling).  I feel like I am at the point where I would get something out of one on one or semi private.  But I would prefer a normal adult class but none are available anymore.  Honestly I would love to just find some open ice time where I could practice skating but this isnt offered anywhere here.  Public skates dont allow any hockey equipment to be worn.  even our outdoor rink which has shinny only allows you to bring a stick onto the ice during the one hour shinny time at which a game is going on.  Part of me just wants to build my own back yard rink