Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ghostrider17

Skate replacement for Easton Mako

4 hours ago, Ghostrider17 said:

Hey,

I have been using the original Mako for about 4 years now and I finally need a replacement, aside from the True skates what would be my best options?

There isn't another skate built in a similar fashion. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ghostrider17 said:

Hey,

I have been using the original Mako for about 4 years now and I finally need a replacement, aside from the True skates what would be my best options?

Im currently in Makos and have done a bit of research on them.  The history goes (as far as youtube video research goes); the molds for MX skates were originally developed by Scott Van Horne back in the 90s or something.  MX was bought out by Easton which became the Mako skates.  Scott Van Horne made the VH skates which became true skates.  So as long as the internet doesn't lie to me the closets thing to Mako skates is the current true skates.  However considering bauer bought out Easton there is a chance that they could release something similar to the mako skate in the coming years.   

1 minute ago, SILVER82 said:

Im currently in Makos and have done a bit of research on them.  The history goes (as far as youtube video research goes); the molds for MX skates were originally developed by Scott Van Horne back in the 90s or something.  MX was bought out by Easton which became the Mako skates.  Scott Van Horne made the VH skates which became true skates.  So as long as the internet doesn't lie to me the closets thing to Mako skates is the current true skates.  However considering bauer bought out Easton there is a chance that they could release something similar to the mako skate in the coming years.   

You mean MLX. 

This is history that is already well known.

Unlikely we’ll see Bauer skates with any tech from the Mako.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

You mean MLX. 

This is history that is already well known.

Unlikely we’ll see Bauer skates with any tech from the Mako.

Yes MLX.  Lets be serious not everyone know the history, hence why I put it out there for the OP.  

I now it is unlikely that Bauer  will but we can dream

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, I always had trouble finding skates that fit. For a while I was in ccm skates that were probably too wide, but good enough. Makos fit me great, and were the most comfortable skate I ever wore. But, all good things come to an end. Empires crumble, Cliff Burton dies, skates breakdown. 

Since this summer, I’ve been wearing Vapor X800s, and im REALLY happy with them. I think skates today are so much more mailable during baking, people that have had trouble finding skates have more options because making those fine tuning adjustments are easier. 

Im not saying there’s always an option for everyone, and, as has been noted, nothing really fits like a Mako, but it’s always worth trying on new things. 

Im kind of annoyed by companies rolling out a new updated skate line every year, but, in some cases there are changes in fit, so a make or model that didn’t work 5 years ago suddenly works now. 

Edited by start_today
Embarrassing Metallica mistake
  • Like 1

I wonder why no one has hired Dave Cruikshank the designer of MLX and Easton Mako skates? 

He created an unreal skate like no other and then Bauer buys Easton and poof it is gone.. Sucks!

I wore the original mako skate and the back carbon broke off from the boot. Then i found new Mako2's and had them for like 4 years ad they are getting worn. Everyone is smart and plucks any Makos 2's off ebay and sideline swap right away.

I tried on a pair of True skates and they feel like moon boots. I personally don't think they feel anything like Makos. 

They are similar but Scott Van Horne developed the from VH Skates. Some people get confused and think it is the same person that developed the Mako skate.

Are any of the new Custom CCM's or any other skates comparable?  Does anyone with True skates feel they are much heavier and bulkier than Makos?

Cheers! 

The closest thing you’re going to find is True. Since they’re custom fit to your feet and crazy heat moldable they’re going to be your best bet if you want a similar feel.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 10:46 AM, start_today said:

For what it’s worth, I always had trouble finding skates that fit. For a while I was in ccm skates that were probably too wide, but good enough. Makos fit me great, and were the most comfortable skate I ever wore. But, all good things come to an end. Empires crumble, Cliff Burton dies, skates breakdown. 

Since this summer, I’ve been wearing Vapor X800s, and im REALLY happy with them. I think skates today are so much more mailable during baking, people that have had trouble finding skates have more options because making those fine tuning adjustments are easier. 

Im not saying there’s always an option for everyone, and, as has been noted, nothing really fits like a Mako, but it’s always worth trying on new things. 

Im kind of annoyed by companies rolling out a new updated skate line every year, but, in some cases there are changes in fit, so a make or model that didn’t work 5 years ago suddenly works now. 

If you find a pair of retail skates that fit well, you might as well buy at least two pairs... At least a second pair when it goes on clearance and a new model is coming up...

• Like 1

I totally agree with stocking up on skates that fit well...well, anything that I really like I stock up on. Mako II skates, STX Surgeon gloves, 2012 Warrior Projekt elbow pads, Warrior Projekt girdles, Easton E700 helmets (wish I would've stocked up on the Verbero Shield shoulder pads before they disappeared - my one pair is in great shape, but nothing lasts forever). New isn't always better if it doesn't fit and feel as good, plus it helps that the price is usually more palatable on discontinued items.  

I'm glad I stocked up on the Mako's as nothing on the retail market I've tried on since feels like it would fit my feet as well and new custom True skates would cost about 3x as much as I paid for the extra pairs of Makos - since Trues are currently custom only it's hard to find gently used pairs or pro returns that would be the right size and there are no clearance deals.

If I was in the OP's position I would scour the net for M7's, M8's and Mako II's in my size, but I know they're hard to find in new or near new condition in most sizes. If that search failed then I'd start looking for new or barely used True skates in my size (preferably locally so I could try them on) and then if that failed I would cry, pry open my wallet and fork over the coin for True customs. After using speed skate inspired one piece skates like KOR and Makos for so many years I can't see moving away from that style of skate. 

Edited by althoma1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ghostrider17 said:

Hey,

Try out Bauer and CCM.

My last ~ 10 years of skates have been:

Vapor XXX ---> Mako II ----> FT1 ----> FT2 ---> True

If you were an EE in the Mako, you'll still probably be Ok in FT1/2 EE but also try Supremes & AS1 in D width. I gotta say though my friend.... none of those fit as well as the Mako. FT1/2 are very narrow in the toes, I had to go up a half size to fit in them properly, which then gives me some other issues. The above response is probably the most sound; search high and low for used Mako's if yous are messed up or potentially shell that $$ out for True.

• Like 1

Very similar in the ability to mold to your foot and just overall comfort level. I’d agree to try to find some makos online if you can but otherwise I know I went from Mako to True and it was a pretty perfect evolution. 

• Like 1

Ok great thanks. I bought a pair of prostock Trues and they seemed wide and like moon boots compared to my makos. But they were a size E and probably punched out, so probably would think differently if they were sized correctly for me. Do they have the same forward pitch as makos? Thats what makes makos so unique and would be tough going back to a bauer or ccm unless u profiled the crap out of them.

7 minutes ago, nshore5 said:

Ok great thanks. I bought a pair of prostock Trues and they seemed wide and like moon boots compared to my makos. But they were a size E and probably punched out, so probably would think differently if they were sized correctly for me. Do they have the same forward pitch as makos? Thats what makes makos so unique and would be tough going back to a bauer or ccm unless u profiled the crap out of them.

The last they were made from is probably larger than your foot width wise. Ideally you get sized up and scanned for them since each pair is different.

I believe I read the new True runner is a dual 9/10' radius, and I believe the Mako is just a single 9'. Pitch very similar, too.

45 minutes ago, nshore5 said:

A significant number of Mako lovers loved them in spite of that aggressive pitch. A lot of people swapped holders to tone it down a bit. Some of that pitch is in the boot, some in the holder and some the steel. You can still replicate that angle even in something as different as a Nexus skate. Shims will change your angle without affecting the steel. Buy the skate for how it fits your foot dynamically. Adjust for ice contact properties afterwards as these are primarily issues of the steel and holder (though in concert with the boot) and can be tuned as needed regardless of which boot suits you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nshore5 said:

If you bought custom skates that were made for somebody else, I wouldn’t expect them to feel all that great. 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 2:54 PM, flip12 said:

A significant number of Mako lovers loved them in spite of that aggressive pitch. A lot of people swapped holders to tone it down a bit. Some of that pitch is in the boot, some in the holder and some the steel. You can still replicate that angle even in something as different as a Nexus skate. Shims will change your angle without affecting the steel. Buy the skate for how it fits your foot dynamically. Adjust for ice contact properties afterwards as these are primarily issues of the steel and holder (though in concert with the boot) and can be tuned as needed regardless of which boot suits you.

As a Mako wearer who hated the pitch with two kids who have been wearing makos for 4+ yrs each (the end is nigh though),.. the best option in my view is simply to go with a negative pitch on the initial profile.  Since Makos are +3 (including holder and steel), simply going -2 on the initial profile gets you to a +1, which is pretty much vapor pitch, I think. 

I've swapped out to TUUK holders for both myself and my son.  Way too many rivets popping to make that swap worth it.  The -2 pitch does essentially the same thing (-3 if you want more).  He's been a -2 pitch since that first pair 4 yrs ago and it's worked great.  My daughter has been -2 ever since she started on Makos about 3 yr ago.  She's never had a rivet pop.  My son puts a lot of stress on his edges, so, he does pop rivets even by simply going with the negative pitch.  It's a heck of a lot better than the alterations at the holder though.

For myself, I have shims under the holder and a different pitch on the steel on the left compared to right steel.  My right steel has a -3 pitch, my left has a -1 (don't ask... ).  My rivets are always popping, but I need the shims to be able to skate. 

Anyway, given the propensity for Mako rivets to pop more than probably any other skate, I would avoid 1) shims and 2) swapping holders as much as possible. 

I hope this helps.

Steve

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 3:49 PM, IPv6Freely said:

If you bought custom skates that were made for somebody else, I wouldn’t expect them to feel all that great. 

Yeah, I've never understood the notion of buying Prostock "custom" skates.  They're custom for somebody else, so, will likely fit worse than off the shelf skates. 

4 minutes ago, smcgreg said:

Yeah, I've never understood the notion of buying Prostock "custom" skates.  They're custom for somebody else, so, will likely fit worse than off the shelf skates. 

I always figured if the size is right, what’s the difference between a custom boot made to a foot shape that isn’t mine vs a retail boot made to a foot shape that isn’t mine.

But you’re right, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s actually worse. 

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I always figured if the size is right, what’s the difference between a custom boot made to a foot shape that isn’t mine vs a retail boot made to a foot shape that isn’t mine.

But you’re right, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s actually worse. 

I think it depends. The mouldability of the Trues is forgiving unless the width is off in the forefoot / toecap area by quite a bit.  I guess the heel pocket size is an area that isn't that mouldable either  esp if it's too large  Retail skates are sized using the avg person in x sizes and width. Whereas a custom u might end up with someone with crazy proportions. But you're right, either options the skate wasn't made for u. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1