Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Cavs019

Best ~460 Gram Sticks

So I randomly picked up an old OG Synergy from my stash the other day and had the realization that I’m waaaaay more comfortable and prefer the on ice feel of sticks that have a bit more weight to them. This is in comparison to the top of the line Bauer and CCM sticks I’ve been using lately. 

Aside from the 4.5SBP which I didn’t love as Trues don’t seem to work for me in general, do you guys have any thoughts or recommendations on good performers in the $149ish retail category? I don’t feel strongly about kickpoint location as I have no issues switching between Vapor, Tacks, and Nexus currently. 

Cheers fellas and thanks in advance!

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 2

Either Jetspeed Pro or Ribcor Pro would suit you pretty well IMO. They both are in your weight range and can be had for $149 USD. Both have been very successful and generally well regarded by those who've tried them. Good luck in your search 🙂 

19 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

So I randomly picked up an old OG Synergy from my stash the other day and had the realization that I’m waaaaay more comfortable and prefer the on ice feel of sticks that have a bit more weight to them. This is in comparison to the top of the line Bauer and CCM sticks I’ve been using lately. 

Aside from the 4.5SBP which I didn’t love as Trues don’t seem to work for me in general, do you guys have any thoughts or recommendations on good performers in the $149ish retail category? I don’t feel strongly about kickpoint location as I have no issues switching between Vapor, Tacks, and Nexus currently. 

Cheers fellas and thanks in advance!

I've felt this way for years.  I still use a sherwood 9950 regularly and people always ask how my hands/wrists don't get tired.  I always tell them the weight of the stick kind of pushes and stops the puck for me.  So instead of felling like I'm trying to move a bowling ball with a fishing pole, it feels like I'm moving a golf ball with a baseball bat.  

Edited by Neo5370
Grammar
  • Like 1

I’ve been happy with the $150 Warrior Alpha QX3.

True single one piece construction. I dont know if that matters, but it’s rare at that pricepoint. Puck feel and shots have been fine. You can find the QXT for around  $100. It’s the QX3 as sold to teams who want a cheaper stick option. 

Because of my form or play or wherever, I struggle with low kick sticks. Alpha has no issues at all for me, despite being marketed as a “higher” low kick. The kickpoint and release make sense to me, and I can generally put the puck where I want. 

Gonna recommend the QX Pro, as you can find it at Pure for between 120 and 150 depending on sales. Obviously the 3 inch extension isn't ideal for everyone, but I cut it to 60 inches and it still feels good. Nice puck feel and generally feels good to shoot and pass with.

I was playing in a fairly large men's tourney a few weeks back, and stupid me didn't think to throw a couple extra sticks in the back of my truck just to be safe. Because hey, I dont break a ton of sticks.

First game mid-way through, guy takes a whicked wrister that broke my trusty QRL in the lower hosel. Switch to my backup for the day, a True a6.0 SBP. That succumbed to a guy stepping on the blade during a puck battle along the boards. 

A teammate hands me a loaner. It's a CCM Ribcore. I play 2 more games with it (and thankfully it stayed in one piece). When I returned it, I told him how much I liked it. Turns out it was the Pro3. 

The stick was absolutely fantastic. I kind of would like to think I know my sticks in terms of price points, and I had no idea that it was a 149.99 stick. Blade is nice and stiff. Good puck feel. Shots felt crisp. Not sure what it weighs in at, but it's got great balance. CCM nailed it with this stick.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if it’s available in the US but the new retail CCM Tacks team stick feels ridiculously good for the price. Their pro/team models are all excellent, best balanced sticks in their price points.

• Like 1

Another point for the Trigger pro. Was one of the few sticks I could find with a p02 curve and had used the Trigger2 last season figured why not and I haven’t been disappointed yet. One thing I will mention tho is I’ve found it to play a little softer than indicated and for a low kick stick, not sure if anyone else felt the same?

Id also recommend Sherwood, really impressed with the older T100 and have the the Project line in my sights

I honestly think we're at the point of diminishing returns in regards to rec players and top of the line sticks.  Joe Schmoe doesn't need a Lambo for his daily commute.  

• Like 3

I was using a Sher-wood BPM150 last year. I got it on sale from hockey monkey. It's 415 grams. Really light to me, coming from two-piece carbon fiber shaft/blade combos. I cut off a couple inches due to my height so I guess it's a sub 400 gram stick. 

I ended up getting a flex 95. Should have gone with 85 looking back. I like the feel on slap shots and snap shots.  

On 12/18/2018 at 6:46 AM, OzziesDad said:

I was playing in a fairly large men's tourney a few weeks back, and stupid me didn't think to throw a couple extra sticks in the back of my truck just to be safe. Because hey, I dont break a ton of sticks.

First game mid-way through, guy takes a whicked wrister that broke my trusty QRL in the lower hosel. Switch to my backup for the day, a True a6.0 SBP. That succumbed to a guy stepping on the blade during a puck battle along the boards. 

A teammate hands me a loaner. It's a CCM Ribcore. I play 2 more games with it (and thankfully it stayed in one piece). When I returned it, I told him how much I liked it. Turns out it was the Pro3. 

The stick was absolutely fantastic. I kind of would like to think I know my sticks in terms of price points, and I had no idea that it was a 149.99 stick. Blade is nice and stiff. Good puck feel. Shots felt crisp. Not sure what it weighs in at, but it's got great balance. CCM nailed it with this stick.

Yeah, I am a big fan of the new Ribcor stuff for this year. I think CCM has really dialed in the stick. I haven't had a Ribcor feel this nice since the 40K. 

Ha! I was actually thinking about starting a thread about the Pro3. At drop in yesterday 5 of us in the room had a Pro3. We got to talking about it and decided it is hands down the best $150 stick ever made. Now that may just be us being excited about out sticks, but the point is its a great stick.

I only use mine when my back is sore. I didn't cut the extra length off. I usually prefer a mid kick. But I really love shooting with the Pro3 more than any low kick stick I have ever used. I can still really lay into the puck.

Following this thread got me started looking at some the sticks mentioned. I was surprised to learn the Pro3 is a true one piece (so is the Tacks 9080).

I like to stay around that $150 price point so I've been surviving off closeouts and pro-stocks. Would be nice to find something off the rack I liked.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread similar to this, but try to nail down the wording. 

My question is, how much better are sticks today than 10 years ago? Spec-wise, mid range sticks today seem pretty similar to top end sticks of yester year. I know there are more design elements now, and companies have mastered true one piece construction. 

If I saw a pro level player using an SE16 or one95, my first thought would be that it’s cool they pulled out a classic stick to play with. But, if they were using a modern mid-tier stick, I would think it’s odd that they are using a “low level” stick. 

There are pros still using One95's. They're just dressed as whatever the latest and greatest offering is. Kane and Stamkos come to mind. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

Following this thread got me started looking at some the sticks mentioned. I was surprised to learn the Pro3 is a true one piece (so is the Tacks 9080).

I like to stay around that $150 price point so I've been surviving off closeouts and pro-stocks. Would be nice to find something off the rack I liked.

If only there were more choices for patterns on the rack.

2 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

The lack of blade patterns is insane. Why is it so hard to find a PM9 or clone? How can you get any more basic?

Try being a righty who uses a 75-77 flex P28... 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Try being a righty who uses a 75-77 flex P28... 

I was just messing around on prostockhockey. I set my basic requirements, except hand. The results were 122 Lefty, 5 righty. 

3 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

The lack of blade patterns is insane. Why is it so hard to find a PM9 or clone? How can you get any more basic?

Toe hooks are the new basic.